Did you think Atari 2600 Pac-Man was bad when you first got it?

Justin

I saved up my allowance for three months to buy the 2600 Pac-Man when it first came out. I think I was in fifth grade. I was extremely disappointed. I was expecting to see something that resembled the arcade version and this was nothing like it at all. 

It was going to be another three months before I could save enough money to buy my next game, so like it or not, I played it everyday for three months. I guess I enjoyed playing it as a kid, but that did not erase the day 1 disappointment. 

I appreciate 2600 Pac-Man now. It’s only disappointing when I think of it as a port of the arcade game. Clearly it’s not a port given how different it is to the arcade version. Thinking of it as an original game, the game is pretty good and fun. 

I didn't play it on day one, but I was excited when I finally did. I actually really enjoyed it and thought the sounds were cool. When I got my 7800, I was eager to get a copy. I didn't hear about it's bad reputation until after 2000! So I blame Y2K. I also blame Y2K for E.T. bad rep....

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Y2K! Has it been twenty years?? It caused some serious anxiety back in the day. I was at Microsoft at the time and we were busy fixing up Windows so the world wouldn't explode on January 1.

I agree that ET's infamy is undeserved.

@nosweargamer you didn't react adversely to seeing a game that didn't remotely resemble its namesake arcade version? I'm guessing that by the time you played it, you already knew what it looked like?

11 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

@nosweargamer you didn't react adversely to seeing a game that didn't remotely resemble its namesake arcade version? I'm guessing that by the time you played it, you already knew what it looked like?

I was pretty young when I first played it, so it could've been that I was really open minded about it. Or maybe sub-consciously I didn't expect 2600 games to look close to their arcade counterparts. Just look at Space Invaders and Donkey Kong. Both looked quite different from the arcade, but I enjoyed them on the 2600.

I think the color scheme really hindered Pac-Man. It was too jarring of a difference. If they made the maze lines blue and background black, it may have been better received. Just a thought.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

1 hour ago, nosweargamer said:

I think the color scheme really hindered Pac-Man. It was too jarring of a difference. If they made the maze lines blue and background black, it may have been better received. Just a thought.

That is something the Nukey Shay hack fixes.  I really enjoy playing that hack because it just adds the missing arcade elements even if the maze is still the same.  I posted a video of it a few posts above this one. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

55 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

That is something the Nukey Shay hack fixes.  I really enjoy playing that hack because it just adds the missing arcade elements even if the maze is still the same.  I posted a video of it a few posts above this one. 

Ah, nice! I think if that was how the original release was, it wouldn't be such a big deal today. After all, even though DK looks terrible in his game, and gets mocked for it, there isn't nearly the same amount of heat for that game. However, if they changed the colors of the background and girders too much, like they did in Pac-Man, maybe there'd be more complaining about what a terrible port it was.

image.png.aae106b9c02ed063dcc2add943053eca.png

The colors were always a factor to me.  That's why I like Nukey Shay's version so much.  It not only fixes the color issue but brings back the bonus items, etc.  I'm attaching it here in case anyone wants to try it out.

PacMan8K.jpg

Pac-Man Atari 8K.bin

Edited by TrekMD

4 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

The color were always a factor to me.  That's why I like Nukey Shay's version so much.  It not only fixes the color issue but brings back the bonus items, etc.  I'm attaching it here in case anyone wants to try it out.

PacMan8K.jpg

Pac-Man Atari 8K.bin 8 kB · 0 downloads

I've always played Pac-Man in B&W to look a bit more arcadey. Can't wait to load this one on the Wii!

2 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I'm the opposite when it comes to Atari's Pac-Man.  I never played Atari's Pac-Man again once Ms. Pac-Man was released. 

I can't deny Ms. Pac-Man is a better video game, but the original on VCS just has so much character that makes me want to come back to it. I can just play the arcade version of Ms. Pac-Man and get a very similar experience. Pac-Man in the arcade and at home on the 2600 are so radically different that there's a reason for me to play the 2600 game. That's what I love about old arcade ports. All the little differences between them.

15 minutes ago, HDN said:

That's what I love about old arcade ports. All the little differences between them.

I like that as well but, even then, I expected the game to at least have a semblance of the arcade.  I have quite a few different ports of Ms. Pac-Man (2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Genesis, NES...) and each of them has their own flavor.  I love that because it is the same game but with its own special character. 

1 minute ago, TrekMD said:

I like that as well but, even then, I expected the game to at least have a semblance of the arcade. 

I can see that. I was raised in an era where the original was just as accessible on compilations as the 2600 version was on my wii emulator. I could see how you could have been disappointed back in the day if this was all you had. 

40 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Ironic indeed!  Here they made a clone of the arcade Pac-Man but anything that remotely looked similar got them sue-happy!    LOL

I need to get me an Odyssey 2 sometime. My dad used to own one back in the day. I'm on the waiting list at my local video game store. Gotta play me some KC Munchkin!