Squad Challenge - Dr. Mario (NES)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Dr. Mario
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Virus Level 1, Speed Medium (Default)
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST April 30th, 2020

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between April 15th through April 30th, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Virus Level 1, Medium Speed. (Press Start to Play) This is the default difficulty setting when you power on the system.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 77th Squad Challenge! We're shaking off the Coronavirus and fighting cabin fever with a healthy prescription of Dr. Mario on NES! Dr. Mario was one of the big NES titles for 1990 and felt very at home with other puzzle games like Tetris. Can you help Mario destroy the viruses by throwing vitamin capsules into the contaminated bottle? We're still keeping things light and breezy as we deal with this Coronavirus situation and get back into the swing of things in the forums, so kick back, relax, and put on classic game of Dr. Mario. I hope you guys are ready for a new season of High Score Squad and good luck to everybody participating! 

NOTE: Upcoming Squad Challenges will be simple and straightforward until the site issues are completely resolved. We'll dive deeper with some fun Squad Challenges this summer. Thanks for playing, and enjoy!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Dr Mario.pdf

33 minutes ago, RickR said:

Thanks for posting the manual.  I'm going to need a refresher on this one. 

It's real simple Rick! It's along the lines of Tetris or Columns. You want to line up 4 of the same color to make them disappear. There are three viruses that we need to get rid of, Red, Yellow and Blue. Each vitamin has two sides, each with a color. Line the blue vitamin up with the blue virus, get 4 of the same color lined up in a row (including the virus) and you've cured the virus. Then it's on to the next screen! Easy as pie.

7 minutes ago, RickR said:

oh boy.  Do I stink at this one.  High score isn't worth taking a picture yet. 

i know you'll get the hang of it! I've been waiting a long time to play this in High Score Squad, the timing right now was perfect.

1 minute ago, Justin said:

i know you'll get the hang of it! I've been waiting a long time to play this in High Score Squad, the timing right now was perfect.

It's fun!  A very good choice and yes, perfectly appropriate.  I will practice more.  I love that music!  And what wild sounds on the menu screen.  I think you know how much I enjoy playing games I've never even tried before!

I'll be joining in on this one in a couple of days. I do have a question. I have the Tetris/Dr. Mario cart for the SNES. I assume it's the same as the NES version, but can use emulation if there are any doubts. Can anyone verify that they are indeed the same?

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

17 hours ago, RickR said:

Clearly, I don't know how the scoring works yet. 

drm 001.JPG

You can get a few points also when you can eliminate "pills" you don't need by matching them.  Although those points are sometimes not as much.  Bonus points are given when you get a match causing another color to drop creating another match.  

4 hours ago, greenween said:

I'll be joining in on this one in a couple of days. I do have a question. I have the Tetris/Dr. Mario cart for the SNES. I assume it's the same as the NES version, but can use emulation if there are any doubts. Can anyone verify that they are indeed the same?

Good question! Is there a Doctor in the house? Someone to verify? Thanks! :nintendo_mario_pill:

Above is a game play of Dr.Mario on the SNES.  It is essentially the same game just with better graphics and sounds.  

I don't see any problem with using the SNES version.  However, the challenge says NES and this is on the Super NES, a different machine.  Again, I have no issues with someone using this version.  I'll leave it up to @Justin and the rest of you guys to determine.

Edited by kamakazi20012

5 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Above is a game play of Dr.Mario on the SNES.  It is essentially the same game just with better graphics and sounds.  

I don't see any problem with using the SNES version.  However, the challenge says NES and this is on the Super NES, a different machine.  Again, I have no issues with someone using this version.  I'll leave it up to @Justin and the rest of you guys to determine.

I mean...

What's the scoring like? Is everything the same? Even if this were allowed and nobody had a problem with it we'd have to put an asterisk next to the entry. It's a different ROM on a different machine.

I want @greenween to be able to play and have fun, that's what we're all about. Just friends playing.