RickR

VideoGameCritic: All-time best console features

I agree.

I remember when the Game Boy Advance SP was the coolest thing. I had the regular Game Boy Advance, it was no where as cool and I remember the screen was not back lit so seeing it was difficult. I bought a Switch around Christmas and I love it. It feels like a more modern DS minus the double screen mixed with the Wii.  I prefer playing it connected to the tv but I love that it is portable also. Not long ago I discovered two Nintendo downloads that include NES and Super NES games. Although it's not the same as playing them on the original consoles, they've been fun and I've discovered some I've never heard of. 

13 minutes ago, Control Issues said:

But... didn't the Atari 5200 originally come with 4 joystick ports?  I mean, it had other issues, but the N64 wasn't the first console with 4 ports...  (and the 5200 might not even be the first, but I know it's earlier than the N64...)

You make a good point, but I think the difference is that the N64 had several games that supported 4 players at the same time.  Think of 007 Goldeneye with 4 player split screen. 

The only 4 player 5200 game I can think of is Super Breakout, and that's just the old standard one-player-at-a-time. 

7 hours ago, Control Issues said:

But... didn't the Atari 5200 originally come with 4 joystick ports?  I mean, it had other issues, but the N64 wasn't the first console with 4 ports...  (and the 5200 might not even be the first, but I know it's earlier than the N64...)

Typical for Atari to get overlooked for their innovations in favor of other companies. Don't forget that video games began with the NES after all.