Squad Challenge - Super Breakout (Atari 2600)

Justin

4 hours ago, Gianna said:

Here is my score so far. I played using paddle controllers. It seems like I go a while on the first ball, and then once I lose a ball I go through them really quickly! You guys  have really good scores!

397658383_unnamed(1).jpg.cae77b59e7b51404f311568d1099948a.jpg

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Keep on trying @Gianna!  Practice really helps on this game.  When you lose a ball, take a moment to catch your breath.  Breath in and out a few times before pushing that button.  That's what I do. 

Welcome to "The Squad" @Gianna 🙂 

I generally hit the launch button right away out of frustration from losing a ball. I did have to leave the game once between balls and the screen went in color-shift mode but hitting the launch button picked the game up from where I left off.

It's easy to burn through 5 balls in this game ... even though they are square.

Finally broke 2000:

20200512_153152.jpg.423315eb81bb416e7151295abc2f0b7e.jpg

Something I hadn't noticed before before is how the change in direction of the ball works. I had always assumed when the ball moved faster horizontally, it was because I had hit it on the very edge of the paddle. Instead, it happens automatically after you hit the ball the first 8 times with a new paddle, and resumes normal movement after another 8 hits. The arcade game seems to work the same way. Kind of disappointing, honestly. The player really doesn't have that much control over the ball. Still, I remember playing a DOS clone of Breakout where you had no control of the ball's direction at all, so it's better than that, at least!

26 minutes ago, RickR said:

Today is the last day!  I tried to play after work yesterday, but was too tired and couldn't make it past 1,700.  I'll try again after work today.  Good luck, all!

:pow: WOW I made a mistake! Squad Challenges usually end at 11:59 PM on the night of the 14th. Looks like I screwed this one up by a day! I came in here just now to tally up scores and get the new challenge posted. Looks like we get an extra day of Super Breakout! Good luck to everyone playing!

Our next Squad Challenge will be posted either late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:27 PM, kamakazi20012 said:

V61 I think has replacement knobs.  You might just replace them with new ones...especially if the paddles themselves are still working.

Good suggestion! 🙌

Today, I took the opportunity to try 5200 Super Breakout.  It's a fun game, but I'm sorry to say, I found it really hard to play with the joystick controller.  I feel like the rubber boot on the stick fought me the whole time, and it wasn't easy to be precise in movement.  I tried and tried.  The best I could do is 318!  "Fair" is that the game told me. 

The fact that Atari made this the pack-in game is (again, I'm sorry) horrifying.  What were they thinking?  Colecovision came with Donkey Kong.  I'm so glad they changed the 5200 pack-in to Pac Man later on.  Much better choice.

sbo 002.JPG

sbo 003.JPG

On 5/10/2020 at 11:53 PM, greenween said:

One thing I found that helps me is to not focus on the bricks, but to watch  the bottom half of the screen. 🙂

I completely agree! I found myself most often playing at night, on a 1990's Sony Trinitron that is great for playing these games on original hardware. There's something about the warm glow of the phosphorescence of the screen and the scan-lines, the ball leaves a trail behind it in the dark like a shooting star. It's most noticeable when playing in the dark. That trail really helps point the direction of the ball and where to catch it.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Scott Stilphen!

Congratulations @Scott Stilphen! Your Super Breakout score took top placement in our Final Standings! In my opinion games like Super Breakout really shine on the 2600. It was designed to do Tank (Combat) and Pong, and everything else that came out for it was seeing what else the system could do. I thought Super Breakout played like a dream. I was fortunate to be playing with a fresh set of Paddles on original hardware, everything was smooth and I love that analog feel. Some of these early 2600 games are my favorite, they get down to the root of "easy to learn hard to master" games that made Atari so successful. 

I thought this Squad Challenge was particularly fun, and I was thrilled to see so many people participate. I made a mistake in setting the challenge to end at 11:59 PM PST on the 15th instead of the 14th, new Squad Challenges are always posted on the 1st and 15th of every month and it will continue that way. It should be noted that AtariLBC posted a nice starter score of 888 points, but poor guy, his brittle paddle knobs gave out as he was trying to improve his score. I’m sure we all would’ve loved to see how far Atari LBC could’ve gotten with a fresh set of paddles!

Congratulations again to Scott who clenched the top spot at the very end with a 1st Place score of 4,227 points! @chas10e claims 2nd with 3,369 points, and @greenween takes 3rd with 3,041. @RickR, myself, @RadioPoultry and @Gianna all came in very close to each other, and @Kid A @kamakazi20012 @atarilbc @TrekMD and Ms. Greenween all joined in on this one with their best scores, hopefully having fun in the Squad Challenge too! Congratulations to Scott for an exciting run, and to everyone who joined in this Squad Challenge and shared a score! I'd like to encourage Scitt to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be an Atari 2600 challenge. Be there!

large.final_standings_2600_super_breakout.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

First Congrats to @Scott Stilphen I tried all the extended day & couldn't even reach my previous score & then he sand-bagged in one more to top his own .... nicly done :D

@RickR - Jr posted a score as well putting squad players up to 13 for this challenge and was also good to have Ms. @greenween along as well

30 minutes ago, Atari Creep said:

What a great turn out. If my thumb had not been banged up I would have joined in for sure. On to the next. 

Get well ... don't really wanna ask what happened -BUT- you always tell a great story 🙂

21 hours ago, RickR said:

Today, I took the opportunity to try 5200 Super Breakout.  It's a fun game, but I'm sorry to say, I found it really hard to play with the joystick controller.  I feel like the rubber boot on the stick fought me the whole time, and it wasn't easy to be precise in movement.  I tried and tried.  The best I could do is 318!  "Fair" is that the game told me. 

The fact that Atari made this the pack-in game is (again, I'm sorry) horrifying.  What were they thinking?  Colecovision came with Donkey Kong.  I'm so glad they changed the 5200 pack-in to Pac Man later on.  Much better choice.

sbo 002.JPG

sbo 003.JPG

Try it with the trak-ball ... I haven't tried "the paddle" mod yet but prolly make SB5200 much more enjoyable

Most importantly ..... what is that console is that real wood ?