Squad Challenge - Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)

Justin

This is one of the 2600 games that made me turn a check against the 2600 back when I was still rocking the 5200.  I didn't realize until now just how much different this port of MARIO BROS. really was compared to the 5200 version I grew up with.  And I'll even admit that the 5200 even had animation issues but was still closer to the arcade than the 2600 version.  I know it sounds like I'm complaining.  On the contrary it's more of an observance.  

I always thought that this game felt unfinished on the 2600 and my comparing of the manuals made for both ports (2600 & 5200) confirm some of my suspicions.  Once again due to 2600 limitations the game play changed a bit from the original arcade.  Coins became wafers, less enemies on the screen at one time, that glue is constantly on the screen which is only suppose to come out when too much time has been used to complete a level; the fun factor, however, is still here.  At least this looks somewhat like the arcade unlike another game we all know (hint hint, Pac-Man).  I still stand by my first impressions of this game...it's not finished.  Playable but not finished.  

I spend more time watching the glue ball more than I do anything else.  It's not a bad game by any means, misses a few essentials that made the arcade the smash hit it became, but it did keep the simultaneous 2-player action.  It's too quiet, though.  I wish it had a few more sound effects like what was in the 5200 version.  Still, not bad.  I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 joysticks.  Not one of my favorites, though.  I mean MARIO BROS. in general...not the 2600 port.

I'll try some more again later.  I'd really like to experience this with the 2600 controller. 

11 hours ago, RickR said:

At least put out a comic book with very cryptic clues.  MarioQuest BrosWorld . 

For me, there are two or three things going, and if you're lucky, they can overlap at the right moments. Ultimately though it's just playing as long as possible and racking up as many points as you can without getting killed.

My biggest suggestion: Watch out for those fireballs!