Sabertooth

Evercade Retro Handheld

The Evercade is a new, cartridge-based retro gaming handheld from Blaze (UK). Apparently, the emulators are on the carts and not the machine itself. Each cart has from 2 to 20 games. The idea here is that the carts provide curated collections add an element of collectability to an emulation handheld. 

Personally, I'm somewhat interested. I like the look of it. Early reviews are generally positive and it has HDMI out. Also, I agree with the premise that it's easy for good games to get lost in a sea of rom files on sd cards and hard drives, so curated collections are welcome.  So far these collections are a bit underwhelming but two Lynx carts are planned, one of which includes a Songbird release. A few collections also contain modern homebrew for retro consoles. 

Prices range from $80 - $100 for the console. Carts are $20 each. The $100 bundle comes with 3 carts including collections from Atari, Data East and Interplay. That seems to be the best value. 

Is anyone here jumping in on the Evercade? Other thoughts? 

new-evercade.jpg

Edited by atarilbc

@RickR It seems to be shipping in the UK and delayed Stateside. Apparently, their release was scheduled in May but set back because of supply chain issues due to COVID-19. The company has been posting updates about stock. Here's more info on the console. 

https://www.evercade.co.uk/

Edited by atarilbc

For anyone with an Evercade...

We are pleased to announce that new Firmware is now available for the Evercade. This update covers the following changes and improvements:

• Button mapping options in specific games (See the list at the end of this post).
  • Brave Battle Saga on Piko Collection 1 – Crash condition is fixed.
  • Little Medusa on Mega Cat Collection 1 – Crash condition is fixed.
  • Menu “Bloop” sound can now be turned off.
  • FW version added in the Main Menu.
  • More robust save states function for when the unit is turned off.
  • Note: This update includes all 1.1a button mapping fixes.

New Firmware 1.2.0

So I decided to make the Evercade my first new system purchase in nearly 10 years. The big reason was the price mixed in with all the cool compilations. $99.99 for a system with 3 cartridges containing 36 games is pretty hard to beat. I didn't mention this anywhere else, but I got an even better deal. I found a guy on eBay selling a new premium pack on ebay for asking for $85.  He said he already had one and was given a second as a gift, hence why he was selling it. I was hesitant, I prefer buying new systems from retailers, but I sent him an offer for $75 and he took it!

Today I finally opened up the box. You can see all the contents here:

I plan to do more Evercade reviews in the future, and even have more games on the way.