Atari 5200 Time Capsule

Atari 5200 Guy

After 37 years...

IMG_20200608_213906.jpg.7791e0cc32bb7d745d6a92f9efd673f4.jpg

...its time to break the seal.  

Jungle Hunt was one 5200 game I could never find when 5200 games were in production.  Mom and I hunted everywhere; local stores and within a 100- mile radius...any place that we knew sold Atari 5200 goods we searched and checked often.  So, for 37 years this game has avoided me.  That ends TODAY!  Just as soon as I figure out how to get this cellophane off 😋

Let's see what's inside!

IMG_20200608_214855.jpg.2bd0d7ec9fc06052e5599e98cdfbd867.jpg

I always did like the 5200 cart design.  We also have instructions that fold open like a poster.  Next to that is a common poster showcasing more 5200 goodness...and a 90-day warranty card explaining a warranty that no longer matters.  You know...it would be nice to see more quality details like Atari did with the 5200.  That silver paper is still the bomb!  

IMG_20200608_215405.jpg.645089e23ca96b888b8d772727a779ba.jpg

Let's see...coming soon?  I believe it's already here.  Every game in this poster I now have except for Baseball.  That one I'm missing.  I don't count Basketball because it was never released.

OK, so, here goes. My first time playing Jungle Hunt on my 5200...ever!  I'll let you guys know how I do ... or don't do lol.

3 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

OK, so, here goes. My first time playing Jungle Hunt on my 5200...ever!  I'll let you guys know how I do ... or don't do lol.

WOWW I can't believe Mister 5200 has never had the pleasure of playing Jungle Hunt on his favorite system before!! It's an improvement over the 2600, I think you'll enjoy it.

3 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Let's see...coming soon?  I believe it's already here.  Every game in this poster I now have except for Baseball.  That one I'm missing.  I don't count Basketball because it was never released.

PS - I LOVE collecting Atari catalogs and posters! It really brings you into The World of Atari and it also gives a glimpse into the mind of Atari and their big plans that sometimes never came to fruition. 

I keep hoping to find a different catalog inside one of these 5200 games.  I'd like see what else those posters were showcasing.  I know there is one poster with 2600, 5200, and I think 7800 stuff on it.  I think...don't quote me on that.

54 minutes ago, Justin said:

WOWW I can't believe Mister 5200 has never had the pleasure of playing Jungle Hunt on his favorite system before!! It's an improvement over the 2600, I think you'll enjoy it.

Nope.  Jungle Hunt was a hard to find item...about like how SMB 3 was hard to find for a while.  So, yes, this is new to me.  I just hope my controller is up to the task.  "Mister 5200" huh?  I like that.

3 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Cool!  It's always fun to open sealed games!  🙂

I have a bit of guilty pleasure opening them, though.  I have a short fight with myself whether I should or not.  Then I remember why I get them...to play them.  Might as well play it.  If I don't someone later on will and I'd miss out.

8 hours ago, Justin said:

I think you'll enjoy it.

Mister 5200 sings, "He flies through the air with the greatest of ease.  The daring young man on the flying trapeze.  Swims through a brook and avoids all the crocks.  Only to get smashed by a bunch of rocks."

I wonder how hard it would be to have a personal arcade made up of a 5200 per game?  Custom made arcade-style cabs to hide the 5200 system inside...make custom controllers out of arcade joystick and button parts.  The 5200 is a heck of an arcade system.  Just look at its library of games.  Almost every one of them is of an arcade game.   

Edited by kamakazi20012

On the rocks, make sure to go UNDER the big ones (just time your movement to be under them as they bounce and duck).  On the little ones, move left as you jump to get over them, but then move back to the right after so you have enough screen space to maneuver around the next one.  If you get your guy at the left part of the screen, you don't have enough space to react properly. 

10 hours ago, RickR said:

I also hope that Atari "smell" was intact inside that package.  It's unmistakable. 

That is absolutely correct!! I received two packages this week from two different people. One contained two brand new Jaguar joypads, which I can't wait to use! The other contained a Blue Lightning Demonstration Cartridge for the Atari Lynx, it's what Atari sent out to Toys R Us and the other stores to put in their Lynx kiosks. It's a really cool thing, it keeps Blue Lightning on a really cool attract mode that does a great job of showing off the graphics and sound capabilities of the Lynx. I'm going to set a Lynx up in a glass cabinet with some other things and let it run on demo mode.

As soon as I opened up those packages, I took a nice whiff of the cool breezy smell of brand new Atari merchandise. It's still there and it's never changed. If you watched @btbfilms76's most recent episode about Desert Falcon he unseals the box, gives it a whiff and says it has "a nice 1987 vintage to it". That smell is unforgettable. 

7 hours ago, RickR said:

On the rocks, make sure to go UNDER the big ones (just time your movement to be under them as they bounce and duck).  On the little ones, move left as you jump to get over them, but then move back to the right after so you have enough screen space to maneuver around the next one.  If you get your guy at the left part of the screen, you don't have enough space to react properly. 

Great advice, I hope you're enjoying the game!

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Great advice, I hope you're enjoying the game!

It's on the 5200...of course I'm enjoying it.  LOL.  Anything Atari and on the 5200 I'm going to enjoy.  Even my least favorite games on Atari systems I find something to like about them.  Even E.T. and Pac-Man.  I've not managed to get past those rocks just yet but I think I came close.  I blame my worn joystick.  It really needs new POTs.  It doesn't feel right anymore...it's too sloppy. I really need to do a complete rebuild with all new parts.  I bet that would really work wonders.

As for Jungle Hunt it looks really good and plays really well.  The analog controls were done will with this one.  Then again, you really aren't using the joystick too much.  I haven't found a 5200 game yet that I don't like or enjoy.