Squad Challenge - Astrosmash (Intellivision) Astroblast (Atari 2600) Double Feature!

Justin

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Atari Creep!

Congratulations @Atari Creep on winning the top spot on the scoreboard! Great performance, and nice to see you win one of your first Squad Challenges! I hope everyone enjoyed our Double Feature and going between the two games. Astrosmash/Astroblast was a nice twist on Asteroids and is a fun play.

@Atari Creep takes the 1st Place spot with an impressive score of 111,845 on INTV Astrosmash. @btbfilms76 also showed up with his A-game in a near-win with a score of 104,730 on INTV Astrosmash to take 2nd Place on the board. @atarilbc takes 3rd Place with 81,410 on INTV Astrosmash. @RickR takes 4th Place with 51,345, the highest score achieved on 2600 Astroblast. @TrekMD had a good showing with 5,030 on 2600 Astroblast and @kamakazi20012 came with 4,120 on 2600 Astroblast. In this Double Feature scores from both systems are combined into one Scoreboard per the Squad Challenge instructions in the first post, so we will have to adhere to that and not change up the rules after the fact. The idea is "selecting your weapon of choice" by playing on whichever system you feel you have an advantage on. Theoretically it could have been possible that someone would have an advantage using a Paddle Controller on the 2600 vs. the disk controller on the Intellivision. In the future we may avoid this and have two separate Scoreboards during a double feature. Congratulations to everybody on an exciting run, and to everyone who joined in this Squad Challenge and shared a score! I'd like to encourage Atari Creep to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for the Sega Master System. Be there!

large.final_standings_astrosmash_astroblast_a.gif

large.final_standings_astrosmash_astroblast_b.gif

large.final_standings_astrosmash_astroblast_c.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Edited by Justin

Congrats, @Atari Creep

I tend to agree with @RickR, they really are two different games in terms of difficulty.  The 2600 port is objectively more challenging.  (Just look at my score difference. 😬)

It was still a fun change up to have a cross-platform challenge!  What other games might work for something like this? 

BTW - I posted a peak score of 81k on the Inty version. The low score above was my attempt at the 2600. 

On 7/4/2020 at 11:53 AM, RickR said:

Shouldn't there be two separate lists for Atari and Intv?  The two versions have a completely different difficulty level. 

Nice job Creep!

They are, that is why I switched over to Atari. It's weird, I grew up with Astroblast and played it a lot but killed it on the INTV port. Kind of though moving over and focusing on the Atari port that would have voided out my INTV score. Thanks @Justin  

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

:pow_big:

The Final Standings Scoreboard has been
updated for this
 Squad Challenge

Hey everyone, I wanted to let you know that I've made updates to the scoreboard in this Squad Challenge. When this Squad Challenge came to a close I was in the middle of moving into a new house and without access to my computer. I had to use my girlfriend's laptop to close out the Squad Challenge and was unable to use my Adobe Creative Cloud to create the scoreboard graphic that I usually do. I've updated the Final Standings post to include the scoreboard graphic as it normally would have. High Scores for Astrosmash and Astroblast were added, and I made updates to the post to reflect what system and game the player's high score was achieved on.

I owe a sincere apology to @atarilbc as I overlooked his Astrosmash High Score of 81,410, which places atarilbc solidly in a 3rd Place overall finish. Sorry Arlen! I corrected the post to reflect his correct High Score.

Thanks guys!

large_sig.png

1 hour ago, atarilbc said:

@Justin Thanks for the update to the scoreboard but no apologies needed. I know that we all appreciate the site and the time it takes to put these things together. 

Congrats on the move and thank you for creating, curating, and maintaining the amazing retro-culture-treehouse community that is atari.io! 

Thanks @atarilbc! You guys are what make our community the special place that it is and a joy to develop. Having you back in the forums has been a real boost 💥