Apple Switching from Intel

DegasElite

Hey, guys,

It is official. Apple will be using their own SoC chips in newer Macs, starting around 2021. Intel will be used once more in Macs this year, with Mac computers updated with Core i9 CPUs. But, it is the death knell of the MacIntel. Also, the chips will be RISC-based. So, Apple will design the chips and place them in the Macs like they would the iPad and iPhone. This is the first time in 36 years that Apple has done this. I wish that they would make the chips in America, but you never know. Thanks for letting me share. :O)

Edited by DegasElite

17 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Also, the chips will be RISC-based.

This is incredible. I'm a big proponent of RISC-based processing. This is like the good ol' days!

So, Apple will design the chips and place them in the Macs like they would the iPad and iPhone.

I think the endgame is to make iOS and macOS unified. All one ecosystem. It's what Atari would've done.

This is the first time in 36 years that Apple has done this.

Amazing! I hope MacOS 11 comes with Breakout 🕹️

I wish that they would make the chips in America, but you never know.

ME TOO!! This should be mandated 🇺🇸

Agreed. It should be mandated. If they make the chips in China, the Chinese keep the money and the secret to making the chips. If they are made in the United States, however, we keep the money, the plans to making the chips, and the chips localized, as well as keeping jobs here in the US. It is a win-win-win-win situation for us.

By the way, Justin, I am also a BIG proponent of RISC. It is faster, more efficient and cheaper than CISC-based CPUs and GPUs. Also, the GPUs for the new Apple computers will be built into the CPUs, being the fact the it is a system-on-chip processor. The new Macs would probably have the rumored A14 chip as well. The chip is going to be ARM-based, so be prepared.

The macOS and iOS environments should have been one from the get-go. It certainly would have made things easier then. It is a start, anyway. I believe the project is called Marzipan, to integrate the two OSes. There was also a project called Kalamata, and I believe that this led to the switch to RISC for Apple.

Edited by DegasElite

I had a 1st Gen iPad and loved it (WiFi only).  But not long after I got it the 2nd gen came out and I did not feel like upgrading.  Also, some apps for the 2nd gen I couldn't get to work on my 1st Gen.  It makes sense if they bring MACs into the iOS world...then they would only need one OS not two trying to work together.  

7 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I had a 1st Gen iPad and loved it (WiFi only).  But not long after I got it the 2nd gen came out and I did not feel like upgrading.  Also, some apps for the 2nd gen I couldn't get to work on my 1st Gen.  It makes sense if they bring MACs into the iOS world...then they would only need one OS not two trying to work together.  

That makes sense. It would be ideal that way. Happy that it's coming true.

Well Windows PCs probably be Intel Dominate for a long time. Unless AMD comes up with a super good CPU causing Microsoft to start supporting a new CPU standard. If you build your own PCs, Many places have to AMD processors priced lower. Everyone tells me that you are paying just another $10 just for the Intel name on the processor.

Anybody remember there was a 3rd company making CPUs back in the 1990s called Cyrix?

On 6/29/2020 at 10:54 AM, peteym5 said:

Well Windows PCs probably be Intel Dominate for a long time. Unless AMD comes up with a super good CPU causing Microsoft to start supporting a new CPU standard. If you build your own PCs, Many places have to AMD processors priced lower. Everyone tells me that you are paying just another $10 just for the Intel name on the processor.

Anybody remember there was a 3rd company making CPUs back in the 1990s called Cyrix?

I had a Cyrix CPU "upgrade" for my 386.  It was more like a downgrade.  I couldn't do as much with it that I could with the Intel CPU my computer came with.  Only a few of my games actually worked with that Cyrix chip and at slow frame rates.  Horrible chip.

1 hour ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I had a Cyrix CPU "upgrade" for my 386.  It was more like a downgrade.  I couldn't do as much with it that I could with the Intel CPU my computer came with.  Only a few of my games actually worked with that Cyrix chip and at slow frame rates.  Horrible chip.

I had one too.  It was the floating point unit in the Cyrix processors that was terrible.  And this was right at that moment in time when 3D gaming was coming into vogue -- ie floating point math was critical. 

True.  The only 3D game I had at the time, though, was Wolfenstein 3-D.  My Intel 386 without a math co-processor and Trident 512k VGA card could handle that game and DOOM very well.  Once I switched that chip to the Cyrix my system really suffered.  That 386 could do more with the Intel, no co processor, and a standard VGA card no geared toward 3D acceleration, and 2 MB of RAM than it could with that Cyrix processor installed.  I swore off of those things and warned other PC users I knew to avoid those Cyrix CPUs.  My experience with them was not good.