LET'S COMPARE: Atari 7800 Xenophobe vs. Atari XEGS Xenophobe

Video 61

hi everyone,

i think the xe version is better. no reason for it, except a proper sized 7800 board was not used

7800 version, its colorful, but seems a bit baron, and doors are a little  bit sluggish. overall though, still a good version.

thanks,

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

This is one that I have not played on either system.  In just looking at the videos, I agree with your assessment.  It just feels like a lot of the 7800 games are missing that final polish and quality, like maybe they were rush jobs or something. 

As an Atari collector, I like the idea of variation between game systems. I have the A2600 and A7800 versions of Xenophobe, and I want to get the XE and Lynx versions as well. No one would want to get the game if it was exactly the same on all the systems. There are things that could be improved in the A2600 and A7800 versions. But, the XE version really shines, and the Lynx version has differences from the arcade, which I frown on sometimes. But, the Lynx version, with its enhancements, is the best in my opinion. Great games, and the differences in them make each version unique and worth collecting.

Edited by DegasElite

1 hour ago, RickR said:

This is one that I have not played on either system.  In just looking at the videos, I agree with your assessment.  It just feels like a lot of the 7800 games are missing that final polish and quality, like maybe they were rush jobs or something. 

hi rickr,

agreed. the more i find out about 7800 programming, the more i see the programmers may have been forced into cutting corners, because they were not allocated a cart board with enough rom and ram.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

18 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

As an Atari collector, I like the idea of variation between game systems. I have the A2600 and A7800 versions of Xenophobe, and I want to get the XE and Lynx versions as well. No one would want to get the game if it was exactly the same on all the systems. There are things that could be improved in the A2600 and A7800 versions. But, the XE version really shines, and the Lynx version has differences from the arcade, which I frown on sometimes. but, the Lynx version, with its enhancements, is the best in my opinion. Great games, and the differences in them make each version unique and worth collecting.

hi,

BINGO!!!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

51 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

As an Atari collector, I like the idea of variation between game systems. I have the A2600 and A7800 versions of Xenophobe, and I want to get the XE and Lynx versions as well. No one would want to get the game if it was exactly the same on all the systems. There are things that could be improved in the A2600 and A7800 versions. But, the XE version really shines, and the Lynx version has differences from the arcade, which I frown on sometimes. But, the Lynx version, with its enhancements, is the best in my opinion. Great games, and the differences in them make each version unique and worth collecting.

For sure!  I hope no one takes any of my negativity seriously.  I love to collect and play and talk about the differences in the various versions. 

2 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

As an Atari collector, I like the idea of variation between game systems.... Great games, and the differences in them make each version unique and worth collecting.

That is my mindset as well.  Each version has its own uniqueness for the given system they are ported to. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

7 hours ago, TrekMD said:

That is my mindset as well.  Each version has its own uniqueness for the given system they are ported to. 

hi trekmd,

yep, i gotta own them all.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500