Squad Challenge - Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega Master System)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Sega Master System
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 14, 2020

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 1st through Juy 14th, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

NO POINTS PRESSING. Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Default.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 82nd Squad Challenge! We're pulling out an overlooked classic for the Sega Master System and revisiting the World of Sega before Sonic. Alex Kidd in Miracle World was Sega's attempt to counter Nintendo's success with Super Mario Bros. We are playing to achieve a high score in this game. Your high score will be displayed at the end of your round or when you lose a life. This is NOT a 5-minute or single-life run. Play the game for as long as you'd like, but points pressing is not allowed in this Squad Challenge. Alex Kidd in Miracle World is an interesting and colorful little game on the SMS, I hope everyone enjoys checking it out! PDF Instructions are provided below. I hope you guys are ready for a new season of High Score Squad and good luck to everybody participating! 

NOTE: Another great Squad Challenge is coming up soon! 

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Alex Kidd in Miracle World.pdf

Here's the ROM file if anyone is looking for it. 

It's an interesting platformer. For me, the controls are just a little clunky and the hit detection a bit unforgiving. It's definitely not as refined as Super Mario Bros. but has a colorful and fun look. I'm not ready to post but I'm going to keep trying though!

Good luck everyone!

Alex Kidd in Miracle World (USA, Europe).sms

Man this little guy is Squirrley as all hell. I remember seeing this in K Bee Toy Store and this king how bad ass the Master System looked - sharp, black and red... wow. 

14800 playing on a retro pi

F35F2752-1C78-42AC-9B6F-135434F869CA.jpeg

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

On 7/10/2020 at 10:06 PM, RickR said:

How does one take a picture of the score?  It disappears so quickly.  I'm playing on a Genesis (with everdrive).  I don't know if there is a pause button. 

Yes, if you press the pause button on the master system console you can see your screen and map with score

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Gianna!

Congratulations @Gianna!! Gianna scores her first big win in High Score Squad and takes the top spot on the scoreboard! I hope everyone enjoyed firing up the Master System and checking out one of Sega's most overlooked, under appreciated and forgotten classics. I enjoyed @atarilbc's thoughts on Alex Kidd in Miracle World being an interesting little platformer that felt a little clunky and with hit detection that was a bit unforgiving. I think that's a nice way to sum up the game. Did you guys enjoy the game? How does Alex Kidd compare to Mario, Sonic, and Bonk?

@Gianna takes the 1st Place spot on our scoreboard with a terrific score of 22,000. Congratulations to Gianna on achieving her first High Score Squad win since joining the forums this year! @btbfilms76 takes the 2nd Place spot on our scoreboard with a nice score of 14,800, and I came very close to BTB with my score of 14,400. @Atari Creep had a nice showing in his video with a score of 8,800! Congratulations everyone on joining in this challenge and checking out a fun little game.  I'd like to encourage Gianna to post her new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be an Atari 2600 game! Be there!

large.final_standings_sms_alex_kidd_in_miracle_world.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

I thought it was a fun game. Wish I was able to play it more these few weeks. Deff going to play it a bot more though. My buddy had a Master System when we were kids and had an Alex kid game, just not sure what one. LOL Like you said, its an often overlooked game. Compared to say Sonic or Mario, it's kind of its own thing living in the world of a platformer. My thoughts anyway.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

1 hour ago, Atari Creep said:

Wish I was able to play it more these few weeks. Deff going to play it a bot more though

Same here bud. I was really wanting to sink my teeth into this but got busy with work again, and went through a move into a new house. I might give this another go this weekend and see if I can top @btbfilms76 and @Gianna's high scores.

1 hour ago, Atari Creep said:

My buddy had a Master System when we were kids and had an Alex kid game, just not sure what one.

My buddy had a Master System when we were kids too. It's the guy I told stories about before in my livestreams and on my YouTube. He didn't have any Alex Kidd games, but when I came to the Sega scene late with the Master System II, it came with Alex Kidd built in. I had a lot of fun playing it back then. It was never my favorite Master System game but I thought it was bright and interesting.