Favorite Sega Master System Game

Justin

Sega Master System was one of those "not the NES" 8-Bit systems that I would get really into, especially as the years went on. My interest would come in waves, seems like every spring I get into the mood for Master System. It didn't have the library that the NES did, but it had a lot of cool games. I was fortunate to enjoy a handful of these awesome titles while I was growing up. Here are a few of my favorites in no particular order. What are some of your favorites?

• Out Run
  • Phantasy Star
  • Rastan
  • R-Type
  • Hang On
  • Golden Axe

Phantasy Star, definitely. One of the best JCRPG series ever made, IMHO. It took me a year to beat it, and I did. I also beat Phantasy Star II and one generation of Phantasy Star III. I have not played Phantasy Star IV long enough to beat it yet, and I played it only in emulation online. I got my duff served to me by Zio in PSIV. That is as far as I have gotten in that game for the time being. I quite agree on one thing. SMS Choplifter is very good and the best version of that game. I also like Space Harrier 2D and 3D. I had both at one time. Great games. Thanks for letting me share this information. :O)

4 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Phantasy Star, definitely. One of the best JCRPG series ever made, IMHO. It took me a year to beat it, and I did. I also beat Phantasy Star II and one generation of Phantasy Star III. I have not played Phantasy Star IV long enough to beat it yet, and I played it only in emulation online. I got my duff served to me by Zio in PSIV. That is as far as I have gotten in that game for the time being. I quite agree on one thing. SMS Choplifter is very good and the best version of that game. I also like Space Harrier 2D and 3D. I had both at one time. Great games. Thanks for letting me share this information. :O)

I am particularly partial to the first Phantasy Star. The entire Phantasy Star franchise is sublime. Phantasy Star III on Sega Genesis was a work of art, my friends and I played that game for years through the mid-90s. 

What Sega did with Phantasy Star on the Master System is nothing short of incredible. They created a competitor to The Legend of Zelda on the NES that rose above and beyond, and did so without being a "Zelda clone" in the sense that games like Neutopia on TurboGrafx-16 had been. Phantasy Star was possibly the #1 reason to check out the Sega Master System. It put the Sega console on the map. I remember at one point the entry-level Master System package (system, hookups, no game and one controller) being $89 at Toys R Us and Phantasy Star being $79.

Ghostbusters was a great game on Master System too! Can't leave that one off the list! It was the definitive Ghostbusters game at the time, it looked and played better than the NES version. That's another game that got hours of play over many years with my friends. :nintendo_kirby:

On 7/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, TrekMD said:

I never had an SMS but I have literally a handful of games for it that I play on my Genesis. So, for me, these are my favorite SMS games!

After Burner

Enduro Racer

Global Defense

Rampage

After Burner is a great one!! How did I forget After Burner?! I had a blast playing the full-size cockpit After Burner in the arcade. After Burner on Sega Master System was my go-to jet fighter game until I started playing Blue Lightning on Atari Lynx. Those games were a lot of fun!

Global Defense was a fun game too, very challenging! I remember thinking it was going to be like Missile Command and Liberator but that wasn't the case. Pretty cool. Always remembered the opening screen of the missile striking the twin towers.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:19 PM, Justin said:

Phantasy Star III on Sega Genesis was a work of art

I was still in high school when I got that game.  The headphone jack on the Genesis allowed me to stay up late and quietly play.  I loved the music in that game.

Favorite SMS game?  Hmm.  Well, the only reason why I wanted an SMS to begin with was because of Out Run.  I loved the arcade game but the closest thing I could find for the NES was Rad Racer which was not even close.  I got Out Run with an SMS for Christmas one year but another game I got received more attention.  Astro Warrior.  I really enjoyed that one.  It was simple and not overly complicated.  Off Road Racing I got eventually along with Space Harrier.  The SMS did a decent job bringing home arcade games but something about that Astro Warrior stuck with me.  It's a fun little shoot 'em up game.  Phantasy Star on the SMS is a real gem.  Most of the SMS games based on arcade games are going to be no brainers.  

My pick...Astro Warrior.

On 7/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, kamakazi20012 said:

My pick...Astro Warrior.

I forgot that one. I loved Astro Warrior but it was quickly overshadowed in my game library by Blazing Lasers which I couldn't put down and became one of my favorite games of all time. Astro Warrior is fun little shooter, really good for the year it came out. I shared some great stories of playing Astro Warrior during the summers growing up and gave it a play in this livestream:

Every time I played Astro Warrior I could make it to Beelzebub...but that was it.  I loved the game so much I didn't care how far I made it...I had fun with it.  I liked the music, too.  I didn't care for the SMS' sound chip because some high notes could really pierce the ears but Astro Warrior didn't bother me.  Was the game an SMS exclusive or was it an actual arcade game at one point?