Atari Lynx Mylar Button Sticking Issue

Atari 5200 Guy

I'm having an issue with my Atari Lynx that I am not sure what is going on.  As soon as a game is started, like Warbirds for instance, the player is automatically shooting.  All game settings are default, no auto shooting, if that's even an option.  The buttons feel fine.  Any suggestions on how to fix it?  Same thing happens with Blue Lightning, too.

For the record, I'm not afraid to take the Lynx II apart...I just want to make sure I don't accidentally destroy it in the process of trying to fix it.

5 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I'm having an issue with my Lynx that I am not sure what is going on.  As soon as a game is started, like Warbirds for instance, the player is automatically shooting.  All game settings are default, no auto shooting, if that's even an option.  The buttons feel fine.  Any suggestions on how to fix it?  Same thing happens with Blue Lightning, too.

For the record, I'm not afraid to take the Lynx II apart...I just want to make sure I don't accidentally destroy it in the process of trying to fix it.

hi michael,

its a button, or the mylar or both. you take it apart, use a eraser on the mylar where the fire buttons rest on, and try to scuff up the fire buttons a bit, reaseamble, then give it a try. you will see atari used 5200 technology on the lynx, you will be happy 🙂 

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

2 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

That was what I was thinking, too. I would recommend a rubber eraser like on a pencil. But, not too much, as they can be abrasive. Thanks for letting me share. 

hi steve,

agreed!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

7 hours ago, Video 61 said:

you will see atari used 5200 technology on the lynx, you will be happy 🙂 

So my 5200 had a baby at one point?  Nice.

The only problem is...the 5200 was with a controller only...the LYNX is an entire console!  One false move could destroy it!  That thing is rare to me.  This is going to require a very delicate operation.  Bones?

I now know how to completely teardown and reassemble a LYNX II console.  Really small circuit board for the time.  Impressive.  With a 6502 on board I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a way to emulate the 2600 on it.  You know...where all you have to do is download the ROM and put it on a memory card then insert the memory card into the emulator cartridge.  Something like that.

2 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I now know how to completely teardown and reassemble a LYNX II console.  Really small circuit board for the time.  Impressive.  With a 6502 on board I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a way to emulate the 2600 on it.  You know...where all you have to do is download the ROM and put it on a memory card then insert the memory card into the emulator cartridge.  Something like that.

hi,

its quite the incredible machine isn't it!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

2 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Mike,

I'm having the same problem! I'm going to give my original Lynx a complete tear-down and rebuilt. This is the same Lynx I have had since the Lynx was new. I sent it to @Video 61 a few years ago for a rebuild but Lance broke his arm right afterwards and wasn't in good shape to do the work. I'm going to take care of the mylar issue, rebuild/strengthen the power jack, and hopefully put on some new hand grips on the back. (This is a Lynx mark II unit). I was thinking of making a video of this, or at least sharing photos here in the forums.

I have a Lynx II unit as well. I would like to get a Lynx I unit. I had one once, but my brother's "friends" stole it from me. They took that, an A2600, my copy of Stronghold for A2600 (ultra rare) and Star Wars Episode I Monopoly. They also stole my collection of genuine euro banknotes that I exchanged for dollars at the airport. I was livid with my brother for that one.

39 minutes ago, Justin said:

Mike,

I'm having the same problem! I'm going to give my original Lynx a complete tear-down and rebuilt. This is the same Lynx I have had since the Lynx was new. I sent it to @Video 61 a few years ago for a rebuild but Lance broke his arm right afterwards and wasn't in good shape to do the work. I'm going to take care of the mylar issue, rebuild/strengthen the power jack, and hopefully put on some new hand grips on the back. (This is a Lynx mark II unit). I was thinking of making a video of this, or at least sharing photos here in the forums.

If Atari I/O could have something over any other website, Atari or otherwise, it should be the aide of keeping these machines going.  If not a video then at least pictures like I do sometimes.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:01 PM, Justin said:

I just want the Lynx to get some love :atari_lynx:

I love the Lynx II unit.  I just wish it would have been more battery friendly.  I'd love to see this little guy get an add-on to play any 2600 game.  The processor is there, I mean the 6502 is a 6502 no matter what.  One would just need to figure out the graphics portion.

I'd love to get a few Lynx games namely Hard Drivin', STUN Runner, Hydra, and some sort of space shooter.

6 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I'd love to see this little guy get an add-on to play any 2600 game.

That is a good idea. It would not need emulation then, if done right, to play A2600 games. The only major difference is the A2600 CPU, the 6507, has 28 pins. The 6502 has forty. Each pin has a function.

Edited by DegasElite

21 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I love the Lynx II unit.  I just wish it would have been more battery friendly.

To be fair:

• It was more "battery friendly" than Lynx I
  • It also included the "Backlight On/Off" Switch that the Lynx I didn't have
  • A/C Adapter, Car Cigarette Adapter, and Battery Pack were 1st Party accessories available from Atari
  • Comparing anything from then to now regarding batteries is a no-win conversation. If there were cell phone collectors who could still make phone calls regularly using "Zack Morris" brick Motorola cell phones, no doubt people would complain that 1. they're too big, and 2. poor battery life. That's the nature of collecting and using 30+ year old technology. It goes without saying, and it's become part of the experience.
  • When's the last time you went on a road trip / vacation and were reminded to back "film and batteries"? ... it's all part of the joy of retro collecting!

The best advice I always give someone picking up an old handheld or vintage item that requires batteries, that they will be using current year, is to pick up a nice Duracell rechargeable battery kit at Sam's Club or Costco. This is pretty much a "One Size Fits All" solution to retro collecting, so many older toys chew up batteries quickly. You can play Atari Lynx endlessly with one of these babies and always have a fresh set fully charged and ready to go:

IMG_5651 2.JPG

On 7/25/2020 at 3:17 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Just like the 7800's CPU that also plays 2600 games.  All pins do something.  Those added pins give a bit of an advantage.

You know, just thinking, why hasn't someone devised an add-on for the Lynx to play A2600 games? The chips in the Lynx and A2600 are close cousins. It may not even need emulation to run the carts. An engineer that understands the 6502, 6507, MARIA, and 65C816 chipsets should not have much of a problem designing that. One could design an adapter for not only the A2600, but 5200, XE and 7800 as well. It would be glorious. All those game then compatible with the Lynx would make that adapter sell big time. :O)

Speaking of the Lynx, someone consolized the Lynx to run on a TV. It was originally a Lynx II unit that was rebuilt into an A2600 shell with the innards taken out. This is on YouTube. It was a three-part video walkthrough on how to do it. Very thorough, actually. It didn't even use the VGA add-on one can put on the Lynx. It was built from scratch. I wish I still had the link. But, if you search for "Consolized Atari Lynx," you should be able to find it.