Atari Lynx Mylar Button Sticking Issue

Atari 5200 Guy

Wanted to provide an update in this thread for any looking for parts. Best I believe still sells the original mylar flex for the Lynx II systems. But as they are NOS from the 90s, I've found that on half of them I end up having to apply additional kapton tape around the ends of the LED power indicator. If you weren't aware, Atari never actually soldered the power LEDs to the flex. They are just attached via tape. As a result, that tape over the years isn't wanting to hold up as well as it used to and the mylar used isn't designed to be soldered to so it can't handle the heat from an iron. 

Well, you could use some conductive paint or ink to try and correct for this, or..

There are now brand new mylar flexes for the Lynx II being created by Retrosix out of Europe. I've ordered a few of them as it came out to be about the same cost wise as ordering from best with shipping and Bradley's min requirements.

The new flex looks very much like the originals, but has a soldered on power LED to them and seem more durable in that regard. However, they use a bubble conductive section for the buttons for the backlight, power..options..etc and they will have a different feel. Not sure how they will last over time as compared to the originals using small metal domes but time will tell.

https://retrosix.co.uk/Lynx-MK-II-Ribbon-Membrane-p370595071

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 7/26/2020 at 2:05 AM, Justin said:

To be fair:

• It was more "battery friendly" than Lynx I
  • It also included the "Backlight On/Off" Switch that the Lynx I didn't have
  • A/C Adapter, Car Cigarette Adapter, and Battery Pack were 1st Party accessories available from Atari
  • Comparing anything from then to now regarding batteries is a no-win conversation. If there were cell phone collectors who could still make phone calls regularly using "Zack Morris" brick Motorola cell phones, no doubt people would complain that 1. they're too big, and 2. poor battery life. That's the nature of collecting and using 30+ year old technology. It goes without saying, and it's become part of the experience.
  • When's the last time you went on a road trip / vacation and were reminded to back "film and batteries"? ... it's all part of the joy of retro collecting!

The best advice I always give someone picking up an old handheld or vintage item that requires batteries, that they will be using current year, is to pick up a nice Duracell rechargeable battery kit at Sam's Club or Costco. This is pretty much a "One Size Fits All" solution to retro collecting, so many older toys chew up batteries quickly. You can play Atari Lynx endlessly with one of these babies and always have a fresh set fully charged and ready to go:

IMG_5651 2.JPG

No Plutonium 238 Oxide power yet? I keep running into YouTube videos about these new advance power batteries that can hold more power and recharge in less time.

Fancy that! I’ve had a Lynx 1 for a week or so, and got a nice looking model 2 today, only to come home to find it’s stuck right.

try playing Cali Games Surfing with right held down.

it actually is possible because left overrides right in the game.

so this is four years old, but how did you fix it? With an eraser as suggested?

I notice the membrane is reproduced now.