Will you be going to the movies again?

Gianna

Will you be going to the movies when this is all over, or staying in and streaming? What will it take to get you back into theaters? So much has changed not only since the virus. 

I was never that big into going to the movies. I always thought they could be a bit gross with it being dark and difficult to see the aisles and seats. Just thinking about what I could be sitting on and around is a bit gross to me. A few theaters around my town have been remodeled and now have big leather reclining seats. I noticed a theater near me that's been around since 2007 has closed for good since the virus, and unfortunately I think this will become much more common. It is, however, so convenient being able to watch movies from your house. It feels crazy that Blockbuster is gone, movie theaters are dying and now we can simply watch pretty much anything we want at home thanks to Netflix, Youtube, and so on. I remember when Redbox became popular, now I feel like I don't even see them anywhere. It feels like it was just a few years ago that I was renting VHS tapes at Blockbuster! 

Will you be going out to the movies again or do you think you'll lean more towards staying home? 

Since I rarely go out to the movies anyway, I think that I would stay mostly home and stream. However, I am not above going to a movie theater either. I might do a little of both. I still worry about COVID-19, so if I did go out I would definitely take a mask with me. I would encourage my friends to do the same. Safety first, and I live carefully. :O)

4 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Well, drive-in movie theaters are making somewhat of a comeback. I forgot about that. Great idea. :O)

It was a lot of fun. I hadn't been to the drive-in since 2001. We even brought an old transistor radio to tune in for the full effect.  It was a nice and RARE date night in these crazy times! 

4 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

It's a great idea because it is easier to socially distance that way.

Yes, we wore masks at entry. Staff were wearing masks, gloves and face shields. We brought our hand sanitizer, drinks and snacks and never left the car. It was a great way to enjoy a movie night while social distancing. Who knew 2020 would be the year of the drive-in?! 

To answer Gianna's question, it will take a proven vaccine to get me back to a traditional movie theatre. And I love the movies! 

Edited by atarilbc

16 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'm going to say that when this horrid pandemic is over and there is a vaccine, I plan on doing EVERYTHING.  Movies?  Yes.  Restaurants?  Every night.  Theme parks?  You betcha. 

If I ever make it any or your areas, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice 🙂 

Me too 😄

Although we are still in the pandemic, I did go to Universal, but they took everything very seriously. Also, restaurants. Have you been to any yet? I've gone out maybe 3-4 times since they reopened here in May and at each place the tables were spread out very far. It is nice not being jam packed close to people and being able to have a lot of space!

I've only done take-out at restaurants since this started.  I have not gone inside to sit and eat.  Isn't that awful?  On the bright side, we've been doing a lot of cooking of new recipes and it's fun to try new things.  But on the other hand, it gets tiring, as I'm sure it is for everyone.  We do take-out maybe once or twice a week.  I try to tip as much as possible even with the take-out and support our local businesses.  I know there will eventually be a vaccine, but I sure wish everyone would wear a mask while out in public.  I believe if that occurred, I've heard the virus would be gone in 2-3 months. 

Once the vaccine is out, yes.  I enjoy going to the movie theater but mainly to watch movies on the IMAX screen.  I have an AMC with an IMAX screen close to my house.  Otherwise, I just enjoy the movies on my 65" TV with the 1000 Watt surround sound system.  🙂

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

38 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Once the vaccine is out, yes.  I enjoy going to the movie theater but mainly to watch movies on the IMAX screen.  I have an AMC with an IMAX screen close to my house.  Otherwise, I just enjoy the movies on my 65" TV with the 1000 Watt surround sound system.  🙂

The fact that some sports are starting up without crowds really got me thinking.  Why do we spend billions of dollars on stadiums when the home experience is so much better?  Do you remember that episode of Star Trek (I think it was "Bread and Circuses") in which they have gladiator battles on TV?  Maybe this pandemic will drive that kind of efficiency.  Sports teams wouldn't need such expensive facilities if we just mostly watch from home. 

Your home setup sounds pretty fantastic TrekMD!  My TV isn't that large, my sound system only 300 watts, yet it's still so nice to watch stuff there -- such better quality than we could have imagined 20 years ago.  In many ways, we are in the golden age of home entertainment. 

Thanks for the comments on my set up.  I upgraded my TV about 2 years ago.  I had a 55" TV but it was older and only did 1080i, so I decided it was time upgrade and went 4K.  Then I decided to upgrade the sound system as well to a wireless system and 4K.  Best part is that I used points I had accumulated and the entire thing cost me all of $200! 

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

@RickRI've already come to that conclusion with regards to NFL games. NFL games in person are BRUTAL (granted, I've never been to a home game for my favorite team). You see so much more of the action on TV, I don't have to deal with parking/travel, I can follow my fantasy teams better from home, etc. There's no incentive for me to want to be in the stadium for an NFL game.

MLB is a different story, as is college hoops/football. To me at least, the in-person experience for those is much more enjoyable.

Back to the topic, probably not, but I usually only go to see Star Wars movies. I don't think there are any being released in the near future.

I'll also echo what most have said. Drive-ins are FANTASTIC!

The only theatre where I live is a drive-in.  Never been.  We usually stick with Netflix or buy movies any more because not much interests us equally enough to warrant going out to watch them.  It's also a lot easier on my wife to just stay home should she need something because of her disability.  I haven't been to a theatre since I moved here.  Last one I went to was another drive-in in Marshall, Arkansas...my home state.  They at least play a Pink Panther cartoon before every showing.

13 hours ago, RickR said:

I've only done take-out at restaurants since this started.  I have not gone inside to sit and eat.  Isn't that awful?  On the bright side, we've been doing a lot of cooking of new recipes and it's fun to try new things.  But on the other hand, it gets tiring, as I'm sure it is for everyone.  We do take-out maybe once or twice a week.  I try to tip as much as possible even with the take-out and support our local businesses.  I know there will eventually be a vaccine, but I sure wish everyone would wear a mask while out in public.  I believe if that occurred, I've heard the virus would be gone in 2-3 months. 

I ran in to Starbucks the other day and they now require everyone to wear a mask, even if just going in to pick up a mobile order. Just the other day my county made masks mandatory (I think), however it doesn’t apply to the part of town I work in. Currently I’m working in an office with about 10 other employees (the other 60 something are at home, I was told I had to come back in and unfortunately wasn’t given the choice to continue working from home) and we do not have to wear masks so no one does. There’s no disinfecting wipes or hand sanitizer in sight. It’s gross and disappointing.