calling all collectors

Video 61

There are a few games the 5200 got, or would have got, that others did not get.  Space Dungeon was one of them, Sinistar should have been released!  So should have Super Pac-Man.  You couldn't tell the difference between it and the arcade.  It was spot on.

I don't play my 5200 as much as I use to.  Mainly because the controllers, even after a rebuild, are just not wanting to hold up like they use to.  The machine itself is fine and I still try to play it but I know from decades of experience when there is something not right with the controls.  Buttons are fine, it's the analog controls.  I'm not getting the travel I should be.

@Atari 5200 Guy have you looked into alternative 5200 controllers? Check out this thread on two solutions that I use. The ikonsgr adapter is the cheaper solution which works very well. The new 5200 controller by Retrogameboyz is the more elegant solution but more money. I've also purchased OEM 5200 controllers rebuilt by Best Electronics.

Granted, both of these solutions only work for games that do not require analog controls, but then again, most of the 5200 library works with digital stick controls. Only a few (don't remember off the top of my head) require analog controls and there's where the 5200 OEM controller comes in.

Edited by socrates63

On 9/10/2021 at 2:48 AM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Buttons are fine, it's the analog controls.  I'm not getting the travel I should be.

Sounds like the pokey needs to be calibrated. If I can adjust a console/controller set so that Bounty Bob controls in all directions well, Gyruss moves around the screen with ease, and The Last Starfighter has the same movement speed and response up/down/left and right, then that is a properly calibrated console and controller.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 9/10/2021 at 12:32 PM, socrates63 said:

Granted, both of these solutions only work for games that do not require analog controls, but then again, most of the 5200 library works with digital stick controls. Only a few (don't remember off the top of my head) require analog controls and there's where the 5200 OEM controller comes in.

Star Raiders, Tempest, Blaster, The Last Starfighter, Galaxian, Centipede, Star Wars: TAG, just to name a few. Course some of them really shine with the trakball instead, but most of the games I really like on the system pretty much play best with an analog controller. I have an old AA redemption adapter for use with 7800 or Sega controllers but rarely use it.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections