Garage Sale Finds

Rowsdower70

Sweet deal.

Congrats on taking in an abandoned 7800 into your home!

The garage sales around here should be starting soon.

Here, people stick announcements to electric posts a month in advance because it's all duplexes and triplexes and sidewalks and alleys.

No space, no time to walk n' stop. With the phone-in-hand walk nowadays, hardly looking up.

In the town where I grew up for a while, there are now by-laws whereas you need a permit to make a garage sale and only on certain days, a few times per year.

On the upside, you can get in your car and drive around to find sales at every other house.

I digress.

Keep us updated on the gametime status of your haul, Row.

Curious about the 7800 experience.

NES tested, needs a good pin polishing.  

Flashback works fine, but wow how bad are those controllers?

Oh yeah the original Flashback was really more of a testing the waters device, also uses NES-on a chip with the games being ports, and those included controllers work only with the unit. Later Flashbacks , well the 2 and 2+ were actually really good as they were re-engineered hardware based on original 2600 chipset, even has traces on the board where some modders added an cart slot for very good compatibility with original carts plus you can use original joysticks and paddles. From the 3 onward they were not designed by the same people but most buyers seemed satisfied, they mostly just change up the games list and amount of included titles. I have the Flashback 2 and I am happy with it as a convenience / conversation piece but my favorite thing is using my Harmony cart with one of my original Woody or Vader models.  

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Don't like the Flashback 1 controllers?  Well, you'll hate the real 7800 controllers then.  They are just a larger version of the flashback ones. 

Yeah I've never used the flashback 1 controllers but have tried the 7800 controllers...they are awful!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

You do get used to the 7800 controller, but it's really a shame when compared to the gamepad Nintendo made for the NES.  There is a ton of criticism of that controller out there, and I hate to pile on.  I did buy an upgrade for one of mine that has just a short ball instead of the long shaft, and it's a huge improvement.  And many games don't need that second button, so the ability to use a 2600 stick is a huge plus. 

You do get used to the 7800 controller, but it's really a shame when compared to the gamepad Nintendo made for the NES.  There is a ton of criticism of that controller out there, and I hate to pile on.  I did buy an upgrade for one of mine that has just a short ball instead of the long shaft, and it's a huge improvement.  And many games don't need that second button, so the ability to use a 2600 stick is a huge plus. 

I've gotten used to my newest Atari 7800 Edladdin controller  ;)

post-303-0-11316000-1431473647_thumb.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

still would like to try one of these..... 

atari_7800pal_controller_2.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

still would like to try one of these..... 

atari_7800pal_controller_2.jpg

They work better than the pro line by far, BUT it is near impossible to hit both buttons at the same time due to how the buttons lay in the plastic rather than above it.  I would recommend using a Sega Genesis controller with the Edladdin Seagull 78 adapter that lets you use Genesis controllers with 2 button games on the 7800.

post-303-0-93776900-1431534902.jpeg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

I need to jump on the garage sale bandwagon. I'm hesitant because I wonder if I'll be able to find anything of value. I suppose I won't know until I try, right?

For those that do it regularly, what would you say your percentage is of finding something? I'm not talking major score, just if they have any games/systems, pre-2000.

I need to jump on the garage sale bandwagon. I'm hesitant because I wonder if I'll be able to find anything of value. I suppose I won't know until I try, right?

For those that do it regularly, what would you say your percentage is of finding something? I'm not talking major score, just if they have any games/systems, pre-2000.

I have been doing HEAVY garage sales for over a year now.   

I have had some KILLER scores over the past year.

That being said, here's what I have NEVER found in the wild:

Atari anything.   I found ONE Atari 7800 system once, and since then I've not seen so much as a loose cart or controller. 

For that matter, I have never found anything Intellivision or Colecovision related at all.  Not a thing.  Not once.

I have never found any NES or SNES games at a garage sale.  I have seen one person with an NES and Mike Tyson's Punchout, but they wanted $80 firm for it.  I have found one NES front loader system (at the same sale I got the 7800)

I have found a TI-994a once.  Other than that I have never found a single classic computer system in any way, shape, or form.

Here's what I do find a lot of:

Gameboy systems and games, sometimes DS, even found a PSP and some games for it from time to time.   Handheld game system and games are fairly common-ish. You'll likely find DS, GBA, and Gameboy stuff.   Sometimes even Sega Game Gear.

Speaking of Sega:  I still find a pretty regular amount of Sega Genesis stuff for whatever reason.  Still find systems sometimes, and a loose game here and there.  Not sure why I find that more than Nintendo, but that is definitely the case.

You'll find LOTS of Wii, XBox, Xbox360, PS2, and PS3 games.   Lots of them.  By far the most common.  Not a bad thing for me, but I rarely keep anything out of those finds.  

I also tend to find lots of Guitar Hero controllers, Rock Band controllers, and odd driving controllers etc.

You'll find lots of terrible PC games, but keep an eye out for the occasional big box PC games.   Some of those fetch a nice price.

All in all, I enjoy it.   I get VERY little for my own collecting out of them, but I get lots of flea market/eBay fodder, and some nice trade goods. I also find lots of old board games, sometimes electronic games, etc.  The hunt is fun. 

Your area might be totally different, and I find that some areas aren't as good as others.  For example, very affluent neighborhoods are usually terrible.  Multi-family garage sales are awesome.  Church garage sales are very random, and I find very strange things there.

Make a day of it, hit the thrift stores, etc.   And let us know what you find!

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but it really helps to ask the person holding the garage sale.  "Do you have any video games?"  That's exactly how I got the xbox yesterday.  A lot of times, people just don't think anyone would want "that old junk".  What's really kind of cool is that if you get to know the person, they'll keep you in mind if they do find old stuff later. 

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but it really helps to ask the person holding the garage sale.  "Do you have any video games?"  That's exactly how I got the xbox yesterday.  A lot of times, people just don't think anyone would want "that old junk".  What's really kind of cool is that if you get to know the person, they'll keep you in mind if they do find old stuff later. 

Ask about handhelds too, most common folks don't trigger those in their head if you say video games. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

From last weekend. Not a lot of sales, but ended up with a few nice finds

post-303-0-80667600-1496151509.jpg

Playstation Controller - 50 cents (My son also got some free lego pieces and a matchbox car from a random box of stuff)

post-303-0-35198100-1496151507.jpg

Plant's vs Zombies DS - $1

The lady was getting rid of her girls DS and some games together. I wasn't interested in the system nor most of the game that involve taking care of ponies and such, but I did ask her if I could buy this one separate. Not only did she say yes for only a buck, but she also sent her kid to find the case since she only had the cart outside!

post-303-0-40736200-1496151510.jpg

Mad Magazine: The Board Game - $1 (I remember seeing this game as a kid, but never had the chance to play it)

post-303-0-87095400-1496151507.jpgpost-303-0-27925700-1496151508.jpgpost-303-0-79478500-1496151508.jpgpost-303-0-29182900-1496151509.jpg

Disney DVDs - 10 for $15 (All DVDs at this sale were $2 each or 3 for $5, but I got an even better deal. I was most excited to get the 1st and 2nd Season Dinosaurs set, even if it is missing it's slipcase and has marker on the front. NOT THE MOMMA!)