Squad Challenge - Star Fox (Super Nintendo)

Justin

@Gianna I bought this game when it first came out...played it months on end...learned all the levels.  Then quit playing because another game came along.  This is the first time in almost 30 years I've seen this game again and ... I DON'T REMEMBER A THING!!!  So...this is all new to me again as well.  I got my butt kicked.  Keep trying.  The levels have patterns.  Remember those patterns and you will master the game.

On 8/12/2020 at 8:52 PM, atarilbc said:

I haven't put emulators on my new laptop yet so I'll be sitting this one out. Great scores so far everyone! 

I am, however, playing a shooting game featuring cats and released that same year. 

IMG_20200812_174651998.jpg

How do you guys think Star Fox stacks up to Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy and Cybermorph?

I have never played Trevor McFur.  Maybe we should do a challenge on that one soon.

As for Cybermorph, I like Star Fox much better.  I think Cybermorph looks nice, but to me, it's missing that "fun" factor.  Often times, it's just not clear what to do, and there's a lot of backtracking.  Star Fox is linear and has huge variety in the levels and some pretty sweet boss battles.

I'm going to go with @RickR in this one. Based on fun factor alone, Star Fox has these games beat. 

The comparisons with Cybermorph are natural given the stylization of the ships and timing on the market but it's such a different and technically more advanced game. However, it's not an easy/fun pick-up. 

Trevor McFur generally feels underdone and the design is a bit of a hodge podge.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:13 AM, Justin said:

How do you guys think Star Fox stacks up to Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy and Cybermorph?

I never played Trevor McFur but I played Cybermorph days on end.  

Star Fox I consider a rail shooter because you can't explore anything.  You are very limited to what the game wants and expects you to do in order to continue the journey and the game's story.  

Cybermorph took that and actually created the open-world environment modern games use heavily.  Sega and Yu Suzuki proclaimed they had the first open-world game with Shenmue which, I will grant, was impressive and you could interact with most objects but Cybermorph was the first open-world game ever.  You could fly indefinitely if you really wanted to.  And all you had to do most of the time was hunt down and collect yellow pods.  That's it...well and shoot down enemies but you were not limited in where you could go like Star Fox.  

Star Fox was a great game for the Super NES.  It told a story, had impressive graphics and an amazing soundtrack, was very challenging, and was about as close as you could get to having an interactive anime feature but it still limited player's abilities to explore the levels.  Cybermorph might not have seem as impressive to most gamers then when it came out but Cybermorph's hidden potential was in the ability to fly anywhere and explore the levels.  It was the first of its kind.

Edited by kamakazi20012

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Everybody!

Congratulations everybody!! I hope it was fun for everyone to mix things up with an interesting SNES game. Star Fox has always fascinated me, the game felt like a glimpse at the future when it first came out, and a promise of big things to come. Yet it seems like Star Fox is one of Nintendo's least utilized mascots. I wonder why that is? I claimed the top spot in this Challenge, reaching the end of the game and knocking out Andross, the final boss, with 55,700 points. @kamakazi20012 knocked it out of the park and almost made it to the end, scoring 47,000 to take 2nd Place. Awesome! @RadioPoultry followed suit, claiming the 3rd Place spot with 36,400 points! @RickR scored very close to Radio Poultry reaching 34,800 points to take spot number 4. @MaliciousCarp joined the fight to defend Corneria, scoring 28,900 points and the 5th Place spot on our board. @Gianna is a Star Fox newbie and was very proud to make it through the challenging first level and defeat the boss to score 7,600 Points and a place on our Scoreboard. Welcome to our new friend @MaliciousCarp and congratulations to everyone who joined in this Squad Challenge and checked out one of Nintendo's coolest games of 1993! As always I always encourage others to do, I am going to share my high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be our 2020 Pole Position II Grand Prix! Be there!

large.1174235050_final_standings_snes_star_fox.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif