Quick question for all you Atari 7800 owners out there

HDN

Hello everyone! I have wandered over from the 2600 section! I have been on the fence about getting an Atari 7800 Prosystem for a while now. Would you recommend one to someone who already has a 2600? If so what games would you recommend? Thanks to anyone who can help!

23 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

That is rhetorical question, right?  😉  Get one, yesterday!  Not only can you play 7800 games but pretty much all the 2600 games as well.  The unique cooperative versions of games like Asteroids and Centipede are awesome!  Plenty of homebrews also for the system!

Is it really worth it if I have most of the arcade games on other platforms including the 2600?

53 minutes ago, HDN said:

Is it really worth it if I have most of the arcade games on other platforms including the 2600?

Yes it is.  The games are much improved and there are a few games that are exclusive to the 7800.  And it can be used for a back-up should your 2600 ever fail.  There's nothing wrong with owning the same game title across multiple systems because while the game may have the same name each one is unique in its own way, making it slightly different than the others.  Once you try Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800 you will be amazed.  Asteroids simply rocks.  It also got games the NES got that are done really well on the 7800 and, in some ways, better than what the NES got.  But just for the arcade games alone, yea, it's worth it.  Besides...you can't play Food Fight on the 2600 I don't think 😉 

So I would recommend for a starter set Asteroids, Ms. Pac-Man, Joust, Centipede, Galaga, and Food Fight.  

Be on the lookout for Robotron 2084.  This game really showcases what the 7800 is capable of.  The 7800 never breaks a sweat with everything that's on the screen.

Recommend:  Europad controllers!!  Standard controllers are OK but may feel a bit off balance at times and can cause hand cramps.  However, don't let this keep you from investing in the console as it is a great console and one of Atari's better systems.   The Europad or even use a Sega Genesis controller really helps with endurance playing.

Edited by kamakazi20012

As the unbiased host of the Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast, I must say YES!

A few years ago, I gathered votes from several places to determine the best Atari 7800 games. Here was the results:

If you do get one, I highly recommend that you get the Edladdin Seagull 78 adapter. It allows you to use any Sega Genesis controller with 2 button 7800 games.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

17 hours ago, TrekMD said:

That is rhetorical question, right?  😉  Get one, yesterday!  Not only can you play 7800 games but pretty much all the 2600 games as well.  The unique cooperative versions of games like Asteroids and Centipede are awesome!  Plenty of homebrews also for the system!

What homebrews would you recommend?

On 8/15/2020 at 10:12 AM, atarilbc said:

The stellar arcade ports is one reason to own a 7800. The other are the amazing homebrews. I probably play more homebrews on that console that any other. 

So glad we live in an era when we can say that. It doesn't feel like all that long ago when we couldn't, when there were no 7800 home-brews except for Senso DX by Heaven / TQA. @PacManPlus lives in my town, I need to buy the man a drink.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, nosweargamer said:

If you do get one, I highly recommend that you get the Edladdin Seagull 78 adapter. It allows you to use any Sega Genesis controller with 2 button 7800 games.

Terrific advice @nosweargamer. The original Sega Genesis pad feels pretty solid on the 7800.

As someone who's been a 2600 owner since December 25, 1982, I say...YES, GET A 7800. Got mine in 2006 after being envious of a friend's 7800 for 14 years. 🙂

Get the 7800. Your first priority is to make sure you have the following games, in order of priority, absolutely most important first:

1. Food Fight
  2. Centipede
  3. Ball Blazer
  4. Asteroids
  5. Robotron 2084

Heck, buying a 7800 is worth it just for Food Fight.

(And I was never a fan of the 7800 Ms. Pac-Man. The colors are a bit off, you don't slow down as you eat dots, and you get 40 points for energizers instead of 50.)

One cool thing about the games I mentioned -- you don't need the PainLine controllers, because they're only single-button games.

When you do build up your collection and get some two-button games (there are surprisingly few), you'll want to invest in one of the many homebrew 7800 controllers out there. There are ones that are basically built like NES controllers, or you can get the Seagull 78 that NSG mentioned before, or if you really don't mind splurging and want some really awesome controller action, anything Edladdin makes is just famazing. I personally own the All Play 4/8 Supreme 78 and the Twin Super 78, and love 'em both. Ed can also customize your controllers so that the buttons are CORRECTLY PLACED TO THE LEFT OF THE JOYSTICK, or if you're one of those new-fangled players who likes the joystick on the left, he can do that too. 🙂

And for guidance, listen to NSG's Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast. It's long over (he covered all the games), but it's a great unbiased guide to the games, and it's one of the most fun video game podcasts out there. If you want to dig into the homebrews (YOU DO), check out the podcast that came about literally right after NSG's finished, The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast. (I hear the host is a jerk, though.)

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Should be able to find it on all major podcast catchers - iTunes/Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, etc.

As for the Easy 78, can't say from personal experience, but my understanding is that Ed actually uses that in all his controllers, so...heck, yes, consider that thing!

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

lol @ ""PainLine controllers"" if you hold it with the stick vertical like the cx-10/cx-40 Atari sticks then yeah incredible pain in your wrists working the buttons with a thumb and another finger.

If you have the stick horizontal your hand is in a more natural position and much less pain.

There is also the "phelonic ball mod" that shortens the stick so there is less leverage being forced upon the hand holding the controller.

While searching for a system. make sure it includes a working power supply as it's has an odd proprietary connector.

I just called my local retro game store. They say when they get them in they include all the cords, a little coax adapter, one "Painline" controller and around 5 or so games. Is that a good deal? Keep in mind I have a plethora of 2600 controllers and a couple Sega ones as well.

If your in good with your local game store guy I say support his buisness ... there are a LOT of good ones ..... they usually test the system and want their customers to have a good experience. they usually have some kind of warranty (other than the curb & gutter warrenty .... meaning when it hits the curb you got 'er)

You could prolly haggle for a 2'nd controller tossed in if available .... good for a multiplayer asteroids ....

Is Asteroids a 2 button game ?