Squad Challenge - 2020 Pole Position II Grand Prix (Atari 7800)

Justin

24 minutes ago, RickR said:

68,400.  I got 2nd place in qualifying this time.

There's a 2,000 point difference between Qualifying 2nd Place and Pole Position. Let's say you had qualified with the Pole, you'd have your 70,000 Patch at 70,400. I think you're probably getting a good feel for the game. Once you get that feel, and get that feeling like you really want to play this game, it will all fall into place and you'll get that high score.

I humbly submit my effort! Not the greatest, but it was a blast!! Looking forward to the next one!

Link: 

Hey All! It's that time again! It's Atari/io High Score Squad Challenge! This time it's the Atari 7800 game, Pole Position II! Hop in those comments, and enjoy! Don't forget about the giveaway! (In the description)

Link:

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

I wish this game supported CX30 Evolved paddle and used the second button to shift gears. 

They should have done that on the 2600 version as well. The only non-arcade ROM port of Pole Position to use analog controls is the 5200.  So, I'm surprised people at Atari didn't think about using paddles for steering in Pole Position on both the 2600 and 7800.

You do not suck!  Keep playing.  Read @Justin's tips.  I think we've all gotten a lot better over the past few weeks.  I'm expecting @Sabertooth to surpass my score any day now....

But you're right.  The paddles or driving controller support would have been awesome!  And PS - Brakes???  I have no need for brakes!  (I play using a 2600 joystick with only one button). 

8 hours ago, RickR said:

You do not suck!  Keep playing.  Read @Justin's tips.  I think we've all gotten a lot better over the past few weeks.  I'm expecting @Sabertooth to surpass my score any day now....

But you're right.  The paddles or driving controller support would have been awesome!  And PS - Brakes???  I have no need for brakes!  (I play using a 2600 joystick with only one button). 

Pole Position has brakes?  Lol.  I thought the grass and billboards were brakes 😉

3 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Pole Position has brakes?  Lol.  I thought the grass and billboards were brakes 😉

Yes but they don't work very well. One of my few complaints about this game.

Another small Pro-Tip: In certain circumstances, puddles can be used effectively as brakes. 

It was my first time playing this even though I do own the cartridge, just don't have a 7800 system. I played about 10 games and learned I need to put more time into this for a better score. I won't have time to submit another score but it does give me plenty of time to practice for 2021! I finished with 31,750.

Edited by GoldenGalaxiesGaming
missing info

1 hour ago, RickR said:

You gotta remember, though....this is the hardest level on the game.  Your 50k score here is far more impressive. 

Do you think Seaside is the hardest? Seaside is definitely a real challenge, I always considered Track 4 Suzuka to be the hardest level of the game, nearly impossible. I feel like they made Suzuka as a gift to the fans who really wanted something super challenging to play. It's the Mario Lost Levels of Pole Position :nintendo_mario:

Here's Week 2 at the beautiful Seaside Speedway as we join the 2020 Pole Position II Grand Prix LIVE on Atari I/O!! 🏎️ 🏎️ 🏎️ 🏎️

No new scores are submitted in this video, although you get to see @Gianna perform her High Score followed by me demonstrating how to complete the course.

Note that this video was originally produced live for IGTV and filmed in vertical orientation. Our livestreams always get added to our Atari I/O Live YouTube Channel.

Enjoy!

On 8/23/2020 at 9:25 PM, nosweargamer said:

I don't know @Justin, it might be near impossible to break 70k.

I did a little research on Twin Galaxies and found the highest score they had for Seaside on Pole Position II was 73,350, below my current high score of 73,500. I felt like I had more in me when I got that score, but potentially 73,500 is the highest score possible on that track. I'm going to keep trying, and at some point film my score for YouTube and maybe submit to the high score sites.

atari_7800_pole_position_ii_seaside_twin_galaxies.gif