Great Game Boy games you need!

HDN

Hello everybody! It's me, HDN! I've been collecting for the original Nintendo Game Boy for five years this month. It's truly a great little system that deserves more attention. It seems people only talk about the retro Nintendo home consoles nowadays and people rarely ever cover the handhelds, though they always sold more than their respective gen's home system. Today, we are going to cover a few great Game Boy games you need in your collection. We won't be talking GBA or GBC here, just the original DMG games. Without further ado...

Alleyway

This isn't really a must-have, but I thought it was worth mentioning. This is by far the best controlling Breakout style game I've played that uses a d-pad. It was a bit antiquated even at release; Arkanoid was a few years old at the time and this title falls more in line with Super Breakout. Nonetheless it's a pretty good time killer. I'm pretty sure @nosweargamer reviewed this on his channel. 

Castlevania: The Adventure

Ok, ok, I know this game is hated but I quite enjoy it. It pales in comparison to its NES brethren, but if you look at it as its own thing it's not terrible for a 1989 portable platformer. Sure, it's a little sluggish,  but it's not unplayable. If you find it for a good price, I'd recommend it. It's worth the money for the soundtrack alone.

Super Mario Land 1&2

I'm bunching these together for time'a sake. These had no involvement from Mario creator S. Miyamoto, and in turn the games are incredibly out of place in the Mario universe. I won't go into too much detail about the games themselves. What I will say is that SML1 is more similar to the original SMB on NES and 2 is more like Mario World or SMB3. More people seem to like the sequel more but I personally prefer the '89 original. They're Mario games,  they're excellent, and you know this.

Tetris

Y'all know what this is. I refuse to say anything more.

TLOZ: Link's Awakening

This might be the best game on the system. It is also the first 8-bit Zelda game to have aged well. So well in fact, they changed almost nothing for the 2019 remake. However, if you don't mind switching items constantly by pausing the game, buy the original. It's not worth $60 for a 6 hour GB game in HD.

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters

This is a great little game. If you've never played a 2D Kid Icarus game, it plays a bit like a cross between Zelda and Mario but not quite Metroid. This game is almost identical to the NES version but with a few improvements to make it the better package. Plus, it saves. Get this if you've never played a Kid Icarus game before or are looking for a good platformer on the GB.

Donkey Kong

Basically DK with 97 new levels and elements of SMB2 and acrobatics similar to the future Super Mario 64. There are boss battles, levels with keys and locked doors, levels where you just go to Pauline, etc. The poster child for the Super Game Boy, basically. A true must-have game that I somehow only have on the 3DS Virtual Console as of right now.

Those are a few games I recommend! I know I left some out, like Pokemon for instance, but to be honest I don't quite feel like writing more. If you need a GB compatible system, I would recommend a non-micro Game Boy Advance machine or a Super Game Boy. SGB enhanced games won't work on GBA, GBC, or GB player. I would say get the Super GB just to test the waters if you're only looking to play original GB games. They usually run about $15 here in the US.

Hope you found this list helpful. The world always needs more Game Boy collectors. Now you too can play with Portable Power!

I had the original GameBoy back in the day. I loved Tetris and Tennis.

I played those games to death and still continue to buy Mario Tennis for whatever Nintendo platform I may own. On a similar vein, I wasn’t thrilled with Castlevania On the GB and ignored the series entirely over time on all platforms while wondering about the hullabaloo surrounding the series (I did buy Castlevania games for all Playstation and Xbox consoles since). 

Back in the 90s, I gave away my original GameBoy, accessories and games to a little kid who was moving to Africa with his family. Later, I bought the GameBoy Color and still have it. 

15 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

I haven't reviewed yet, but Burgertime Deluxe is really good for BT fans.

I need to add that to my collection. Speaking of revamped arcade conversions on GB, I heard that version of Lock & Chase is pretty good as well.

15 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I don't have a 3DS.  Looking at videos of the game, it looks cool.  I have the Flintstones BurgerTime game, though.  🙂  I like that this Deluxe game gets colorized on the GBC and GBA.

I highly recommend you purchase a 3DS, if for nothing else than to play Metroid: Samus Returns. Speaking of M:SR, another great GB game to have is the original version of that game, Metroid II: Return of Samus.

On 8/17/2020 at 5:27 PM, TrekMD said:

I don't have a 3DS.  Looking at videos of the game, it looks cool.  I have the Flintstones BurgerTime game, though.  🙂  I like that this Deluxe game gets colorized on the GBC and GBA.

Seconding.

Definitely get a 3DS. The system is on its way out, prices are dropping, games are plentiful, and this is probably the best time ever to start collecting for it.

It's my favorite Nintendo handheld.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.