I have taken a key for coming in!

MaliciousCarp

Hello, this is Mark, the MaliciousCarp - I am coming to you from the Southern 'burbs of the Twin Cities.

My user name (MaliciousCarp) was the first name that xbox live suggested when I was signing up to play Halo 2 on the original XBOX.  (The Direct X Box?).  I found that the name has been available almost everywhere, so I tend to use it whenever I need a user name. (Or just m_carp sometimes)

I had been hearing about Atari.io for years from folks like The No Swear Gamer, The Pie Factory Podcast, The Intellivisionaries Podcast, Arcade USA... however, the thing that finally got me to join was when the Atari Creep mentioned the high score squad here. I like having an excuse to dig out some of my old favorite games and give them a whirl and I really love how accessible the rules are - with Emulators and being allowed and no specific rules about controllers.

The 2600 was my first console, then I went on to the C64 (My brother and I begged my Dad for an NES, but he said that if he was going to spend that much on something that can play games - he was going to get a Computer so that we could at least learn some skills that might help us get a job someday... Now I am a Software QA Engineer and my brother is a network Admin... so dad was right - I guess 😉 ) After the C64 I went with all Sega stuff (GameGear, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast).  I didn't get a chance to revisit the great Nintendo consoles until after I was out of college and could afford to buy some of them.  These days I mostly play arcade style games and a few modern games (My current system is PS4... I was grossly addicted to Monster Hunter World for a while)

Besides video games - I love movies (monster movies, classic horror movies, scifi, and disaster movies...  I do try to catch Svengoolie every Saturday night), Board Games, tinkering with electronics, and making confusing lists that go on and on.

Welcome to the forums @MaliciousCarp‼️☺️ I'm thrilled that you decided to come spend some time in the forums after hearing about Atari I/O for so long! BIG thanks to @Atari Creep for getting the word out and letting you know about High Score Squad 🙌 and also to @nosweargamer @dauber @Willie! and others for being a wonderful part of our community and inviting others to do the same. We have a small community of wonderful people here who are kind and welcoming, centered around the interests that bring us all together.

2 hours ago, MaliciousCarp said:

I like having an excuse to dig out some of my old favorite games and give them a whirl and I really love how accessible the rules are - with Emulators and being allowed and no specific rules about controllers.

That's what High Score Squad is all about! It's like a wine tasting party or a book of the month club, the entire idea is for us to have an excuse to pull out some of these great games and play them with friends in the forums the same way we would play them growing up with friends on a Saturday afternoon. I like to choose games for High Score Squad that are a nice mix of well-known classics, and more overlooked forgotten favorites. It's nice to go between sampling some under appreciated classics and giving them another look, and playing beloved well-worn classics but finding new ways to play and seeing them in another light, possibly by trying them on insane difficulty settings that even after 30-40 years maybe we've never tried before, like how we play our Ultimate Yars' Challenge for our annual Howard Scott Warshaw Day event.

We have a few other Atari I/O Members who are very active in the forums from the Twin Cities too, who also love classic monster movies and are Svengoolie Chicken Throwers! Hopefully they'll see this and chime in below. Lance's Lab comes to us from "high atop the escarpments of the Twin Cities"

It's great to have you join us and I hope you enjoy your times in the Atari I/O Forums, it's a nice community with some great people. We meet up in the chatroom Wednesday nights and have other events throughout the year. I think you'll fit right in. If there's anything you need just let me know. WELCOME!! :invader:

2 hours ago, MaliciousCarp said:

Besides video games - I love movies (monster movies, classic horror movies, scifi, and disaster movies...  I do try to catch Svengoolie every Saturday night), Board Games, tinkering with electronics, and making confusing lists that go on and on.

Are we brothers?  Same interests here.  Plus, my company's HQ is in your area.  Who knows, when this mess finally ends, I may finally make it over there for a visit. I hear the area is very nice in the summer with lots to see and do. 

Edited by RickR

17 minutes ago, RickR said:

Are we brothers?  Same interests here.  Plus, my company's HQ is in your area.  Who knows, when this mess finally ends, I may finally make it over there for a visit. I hear the area is very nice in the summer with lots to see and do. 

Our seasons here are extremely distinct, so the best time to visit really depends on what you are into.  I am personally a fan of Fall because I don't handle heat and humidity very well 🙂... also all of the fall colors are amazing if you make it here during the right window of time.  

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Brought a new Member into the Forums!"

nosweargamer was awarded the badge 'Recruiter' and 50 points.

Awesome to hear your screename origin story!

And now here's a picture of Svengoolie disguised as a normal person!

image.png.7764f7643cdfddbeb49f476db2b5821d.png

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Brought a new Member into the Forums!"

dauber was awarded the badge 'Recruiter' and 50 points.

Ha! Your dad used my logic -- I thought (to this day, IMHO, CORRECTLY!) that the C64 was better than an NES. 🙂 (And I'm now a software engineer!)

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.