Do you think Donkey Kong Jr. on the 2600 is a terrible game or a decent port?

HDN

10 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I don't want people to think I'm being a total butt.  I have favorites just like any other gamer.  I'm not afraid to speak my mind or express how I feel.  I try to keep things G - PG at least.  I'm not here to upset or cause drama at all. 

No, dude, you're fine! The reason I started this conversation was to see others' opinions on this game. Just because I like it doesn't mean everyone else has to. We're all entitled to our own opinions. A little friendly debate about Donkey Kong Junior of all things never hurt anybody.

5 hours ago, Csolo said:

For me, I think my favorite way to play DKjr with a cx40 is on the commodore 64 🤣.  But now we're talking apples and oranges.  If I was a kid growing up in the 80's and I only had a 2600, I'd probably be stoked to have any sort of version for my console.

Man.  I didn't get a 2600 until about 1988 for $10.  Game with some game but I never tried to hunt for anything 2600 related.  If I found a 5200 that would be a different story.  By 1988, however, I already had a NES so the 2600, at the time, just seemed unappealing to me.  Although I had a lot of fun with Enduro.  I also was in no position to try to start a huge game collection nor never thought of it or I would have held on to that 2600. Them again I was only in 8th grade at the time so...there ya go.

It wasn't until I became a member on this forum I started discovering the 2600. And it's because of the members on here I have the games I have now.  There's no way I would have gained knowledge of the 2600 and it's games if not for the members here.

But DKjr?  Eh.  I'm probably going to get slack for saying this but I never really was a fan of DK or DKjr.  Others loved it but I didn't. I have it but seldom play it.  For what it is the game play is there so that's a plus.

I totally get you.  My first home console was a snes my parents had and never played 2600 till my dad got me one a couple years ago.  And I understand, dk can feel kinda antiquated.  Only reason I like it is cuz my dad and I used to challenge eachother to games of it when we went to the arcade together.  He is still better than me at it, but it makes me think of gaming with dad.  I could Google, but did the 5200 have a good version of dk? 

Donkey Kong in the arcade was a revolutionary game.  If I see a machine now, I play it no question.  And it still delivers.  The thing that really stands out to me about the arcade version is the sound.  It's got a deep bass to it.

I probably said this earlier, but I remember getting Donkey Kong on VCS from Toys R Us and being super excited on the way home to try it.  I LOVED it at first.  But after a while, I stopped playing.  Why?  It never changes!  Doesn't get faster or harder.  Oops!

DKjr -- I never really gave much of a chance to on VCS because by then, I had moved on to the Atari computers. 

5 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

It did not.  There was an 8-bit version that is considered to be good as it has all four screens.  That version has been ported to the 5200.

The 8-bit version of Donkey Kong is outstanding.  The first screen is missing one row, but that's really the only flaw.  It's fast and fun.

The same is true for the 8-bit DKjr.  Really good.  Once I had that one, I never gave 2600 DKjr a try (until I was middle aged :) )

The 7800 versions are also really good EXCEPT for the super-grating sound.  Honestly, turn off the sound or the games are almost unplayable.  Yikes! 

10 hours ago, TrekMD said:

The 7800 version does look great and it plays well.  It if had a POKEY sound, it would be much better but Atari was cheap at the time and they didn't want to spend the money on the chips for the carts.

Sorry to off topic, but do you visit a star trek bbs?