Jump to content
socrates63

socrates63's gaming collection and setup

Recommended Posts

Good to know that this is a common issue. I've always been afraid that I might damage the console. The cracking-the-ring solution sounds tempting.

Speaking of tight fits, I got this attachment "Lock-on 2600" for the 7800 to solve the issue of tight 2600 cartridges or 3P 2600 cartridges that simply wouldn't fit (looking at you, Demon Attack) into a 7800. It's very well made. I bought it a month or two before buying an actual 2600 to play 2600 games. I suppose if you're using a Harmony cart to play 2600 on the 7800, then it's not necessary. I found it interesting and wanted to try it out anyway.

DSC07215.JPG

Edited by socrates63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather get that than crack the ring on my 7800. Something about that just seems wrong to me. Though I suppose it still won't work with the third party 7800 games that fit tightly.

I mostly use my 2600 to play 2600 games, but when we play multiplayer games we typically use the 7800 downstairs as the room is better suited to gaming with others. We keep a lot of the good multiplayer games (like RealSports Volleyball and Air/Sea Battle) down there permanently. We also keep lots of other multiplayer games (like Combat, Football, and Basketball) at my grandparents' house. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

They put a black plastic ring around the cartridge port, which is the cause of the tight fit. I actually opened mine up and cracked it on purpose. No more issues! 😆

Fyi, Tigervision cartridges have prongs inside that prevent them from fitting at all. Some people simply break the prongs off. I just use my 2600 junior for those games.

More info please!  Where exactly do you crack it?  One of the corners?  Is there a video about it?  Please and thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I just use my 2600 junior for those games."

Yeah, that's what I would use as well. Why alter a cartridge that can be worth something to fit in a system (that could also be worth something in unaltered mint condition)  when you have another system to play it on? I like Atari's proclivity toward being prolific with multiple game systems. After all, aside for the computer lines, Atari released six retail gaming platforms. That's dedication. :O)

Edited by DegasElite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Good to know that this is a common issue. I've always been afraid that I might damage the console. The cracking-the-ring solution sounds tempting.

Speaking of tight fits, I got this attachment "Lock-on 2600" for the 7800 to solve the issue of tight 2600 cartridges or 3P 2600 cartridges that simply wouldn't fit (looking at you, Demon Attack) into a 7800. It's very well made. I bought it a month or two before buying an actual 2600 to play 2600 games. I suppose if you're using a Harmony cart to play 2600 on the 7800, then it's not necessary. I found it interesting and wanted to try it out anyway.

DSC07215.JPG

Where would someone find this apparatus? Interesting approach. :O)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RickR said:

More info please!  Where exactly do you crack it?  One of the corners?  Is there a video about it?  Please and thank you.

It was a while ago, but I think I used some garden shears on a corner as the plastic was pretty tough to cut. If I remember, I might make a video doing it again on another 7800 I have next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cart slots on the 7800 are known for this I'm afraid. On my personal 7800, the ring cracked on its own when I was inserting a game into it. Now pretty much all the games fit in much more easily and since the crack happened naturally along the side, it isn't really noticed when you look at it as it closes back together flush when a cart isn't in the system. But yeah...that is known as 'Popping the 7800 cherry'.

Aside from the Lock-On 2600 adapter, I've also used a dremel to just remove about a 1/4 inch from the corners from the bottom of the cart sleeve to about 3/4 of the way up. This way, the games still have an initial tight fit to get past that upper lip of the sleeve, but once they do they will then seat all the way into the slot properly.

BTW...there is a way to get tigervision carts to work that doesn't involved clipping or breaking the pegs inside them. Just FYI...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mail call -- I bought some Genesis repros from an AtariAge forums user. These are either unreleased games or games released officially only in Japan but have been fan translated. I generally don't buy many reproductions, but these looked interesting. I also got a GBA multi-cart, and I was surprised to find that he threw in a free GB game.

PS: I need to dust the piano before taking photos 🤦‍♂️

 

DSC07223.JPG

DSC07224.JPG

DSC07222.JPG

Edited by socrates63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, @socrates63!! You'll like Quarth. It's like Tetris meets Space Invaders. It's quite addictive. I have it on 3DS Virtual Console. It's of very high quality, typical of Konami (Ultra Games was an alternate label of theirs) for the time.

I've heard good things about Wiley Wars, though I don't care much for Mega Man myself. It's supposed to be like Super Mario All-Stars--16-bit remakes of Mega Man games. It was released on cartridge in PAL regions and I believe Japan as well, but in the US it was a Sega Channel exclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Thanks for the knowledge share, @HDN. I'm practically Jon Snow when it comes to Nintendo and Sega (and a lot of other things actually).

 

yknjsthumbnail.jpg

"Knowledge share". I do that unknowingly sometimes. Yesterday I randomly went into a rant about how Food Fight doesn't show you your score after you Game Over, which later evolved into the 7800 High Score cart, Jack Tramiel's Atari buyout, the NES, and a few other things. I don't know how long I talked for, but it wasn't short. Poor dad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love when my children pontificate on stuff!  Honestly, I listen and wish it could go on forever.  When they stop talking is when you gotta worry!  Sometimes, if I can sense them winding down, I'll interject a pointed question or two to keep it going.  The other night at dinner, they were both going on about Apple and the new iPhone (a topic that I know nothing about), and elder said something that made me laugh harder than I've laughed in years.  Glorious.  We were all laughing once I got going. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RickR said:

I love when my children pontificate on stuff!  Honestly, I listen and wish it could go on forever.  When they stop talking is when you gotta worry!  Sometimes, if I can sense them winding down, I'll interject a pointed question or two to keep it going.  The other night at dinner, they were both going on about Apple and the new iPhone (a topic that I know nothing about), and elder said something that made me laugh harder than I've laughed in years.  Glorious.  We were all laughing once I got going. 

 

 

Speaking of new iPhones, my Otter Box case for my new phone arrived! Now I can use it (dad wouldn't let me use without the "phone insurance")! I've checked out some new apps like the YouTube studio app and now I can manage my old YouTube channel again! I also checked out the podcast app. I could only listen to the 7800 Game by Game Podcast before as @nosweargamer actually uploaded the episodes to YouTube! I haven't listened to the podcast in a while (because of my phone and that I'm trying to not make it go too quickly) but I think I will tonight. I'm not a phone person, but this is pretty cool. I might even have to try out that new "Among Us" game just to see what all the fuss is about. 

Whenever I try to make my parents laugh, all I get is a few seconds of silence and one of them will quietly say something along the lines of "I wish you were funny like I am".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 11:14 PM, socrates63 said:

Mail call -- I bought some Genesis repros from an AtariAge forums user. These are either unreleased games or games released officially only in Japan but have been fan translated. I generally don't buy many reproductions, but these looked interesting. I also got a GBA multi-cart, and I was surprised to find that he threw in a free GB game.

PS: I need to dust the piano before taking photos 🤦‍♂️

 

DSC07223.JPG

DSC07224.JPG

DSC07222.JPG

I'm assuming you purchased those from Shawn over at AA? Pretty cool! I've got most of the repros for games that weren't released in the states already, but my go to on this has always been this guy here:

https://genesisrepros.com/

His repros are some of the best I've ever purchased. Nice glossy labels like they were back in the day, new clamshell cases, and in many cases, full color manuals to go with them.

Even when something is listed as out of stock, it helps to contact him and ask all the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickR said:

Oooh, buy 2 get 1.  I don't spend much time at AA.  But maybe I should.  @socrates63, please let me know if you see a deal like that again (and no pressure...just if you think of it).

 

Oh a by 2 get 1 deal? Yeah that is an excellent deal then! My only concern with HiSpec's repros is that his are really collector grade in addition to be usable. And I'm not that wild to see he is now offering repros on games that were officially released here in the US. Previously he only offered games that were imports (Most with translations) that were never offered or sold in the US. But now I see he has added Centy and few other high rollers that did get official releases. Hmm...

I do recommend Star Cruiser as it is a technical marvel to see 3D polys being rendered on the Genesis without any special hardware. The game starts off a tad slow at first and is kinda wonky control wise but it the pace and store pick up a bit and it does get very challenging the further you get in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

I do recommend Star Cruiser as it is a technical marvel to see 3D polys being rendered on the Genesis without any special hardware. The game starts off a tad slow at first and is kinda wonky control wise but it the pace and store pick up a bit and it does get very challenging the further you get in the game.

That sounds like a very good reason to pick up and try out Star Cruiser. Thanks, Jesse. If you have other repro or game suggestions, please share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...