socrates63's gaming collection and setup

socrates63

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Here's a review for it that I wrote: Atari 5200 Adventure II

Read it. That's a pretty positive review. How much bigger of a game is it? It looks really cool. Didn't they also make a 2600 version that is included on several Atari Flashback consoles? I don't know if it is a port of the 5200 version or not, but I'm fairly certain it came out afterwards. Don't quote me on that.

The price of the game is very reasonable for AtariAge. $35 isn't bad for an adventure game like that. I feel the price is more justified as it has more gameplay and whatnot than your average 5200 homebrew arcade conversion. The original Adventure sells for about half that at my local game place, which I feel is a little too much for the game. Nowadays, it doesn't go for near as much as it did a couple of years ago. According to PriceCharting.com, Adventure goes from $5 to $11 depending on which label variant you're looking for. The game store sells them for $15, though I did see one for $10 last time I was there. If it's still there in a few months, I might just buy it.

Wow, I went off on a tangent there. Nice review, Trek. I think it might be worth checking out when (not if) I get a 5200 someday. When, I don't know.

8 hours ago, RickR said:

I couldn't get that link to work, but here's one that does:  https://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/adventure-ii/

Very good review.  Thanks.

That is odd.  It works for me.  In any case, here's the entire old section of reviews that we have there: RVG Reviews

We were going to move those to the new area in the frontpage but it was too much work so we left them as Legacy Reviews.  The review you linked to, @RickR, was one of the few that got transferred over. 

Glad you guys liked the review!  Plenty more to read there!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

I was out today looking for items to put in the retro junk box. I visited a local retro game store that I usually don't visit often (not the best prices) but I was in the neighborhood. While there, I picked up another EA folio packaging game -- Earl Weaver Baseball. It's in great condition, and it's my second Amiga game. Back in the 80s, baseball was the sports game that I spent the most time with, and it was Earl Weaver Baseball and later Micro League Baseball (bought on ebay, box has seen better days). I never played Tony LaRussa Baseball though -- don't know why but it seemed popular enough as it had multiple releases.

DSC07297.JPG.5ac8b901a0fc6505e6d2ebf3d4916f48.JPG

DSC07298.JPG.a3fb995932e2a583ede372aed2ed34e6.JPGDSC07299.JPG.6f9f2eb90a2ebdfd025ffea91fc76bd0.JPG

DSC07300.JPG.e814f5ef7c426f0534b298eb559d8b5a.JPG

Edited by socrates63

Mail call from GoodDealGames -- two 7800 prototype shoot-em-ups and a hack. Sirius, in particular, is supposed to be very good.

I recently watched @nosweargamer's review of Impossible Mission and learned that the game is literally impossible to finish due to a bug. Possible Mission fixes the bug and makes it possible to finish Impossible Mission. I wanted to get a second copy (for you, Harry) but turns out this copy was the last and whether GDG restocks it is TBD.

GDG-20201031.JPG.f75fb49c418c026cba9f2faff53b7c09.JPG

Mail call from Amazon -- not exactly video games but still central to geek culture especially if you grew up during the 70s and 80s.

Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man are DVDs and the others are Blu-ray. I used to avoid buying DVDs since they can look awful on a 65" 4K TV, but now that I have a tube TV, I'm much more willing.

Amazon-20201101.JPG.410d79c73f370aea8f642d8f93193044.JPG

So that’s where Possible Mission is sold? Good to know for the future. Impossible Mission is a game I would have gotten had it actually worked. Possible Mission is the way to go in this case.

How much was your cart? I think I will pick one up if they decide to produce another run of carts.

22 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

@HDN Possible Mission was $43 + shipping. My understanding is that the rom file is available freely on AtariAge so search for it there if you want to play it on an emulator.

Gotta pay a little more than the going rate for that one! The extra $13 or so dollars are worth it if you wanted to actually have a working game on your hands. 

If I ever want the complete 7800 library, this is the way to go, I guess! I'll have to try out the ROM sometime to see how I like the game.

37 minutes ago, RickR said:

I think the Possible Mission ROM is here:  http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~harvey/7800/7800.html

Nice! From the rom creator himself. I love the little disclaimer blurb:

Disclamier: if you're from Bridgestone Multimedia, and would like me to remove my posted ROMs of "Possible Mission", just ask.
I have made no profit from "Possible Mission", and have only released it so that people can enjoy a working copy of the game.

Since the rom for the fixed possible version of the game has been released freely, I would ask Albert at AA if he can made a repro 7800 cart of the fixed rom? Doesn't hurt to ask anyway. I know he has done this for me on a few games in the past as long as I swore to never turn around and sell them back out. That was how the 'golden' cart of Quadrun was made as one of my prizes in the classic gaming tourney at my convention one year.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Some 7800 games I recently picked up. With these games added, I have seven games remaining for a complete NTSC set.

I also got a Star Wars prototype repro for the 2600. It's got a great looking label and was built using a Parker Brothers game cartridge -- a nice touch.

DSC07375.thumb.JPG.4c8d02cb41973939cc8ee70b2858c61e.JPG 

DSC07376.JPG.361b73b84055480b25dc743e7f882930.JPG

Edited by socrates63

On 11/28/2020 at 1:57 AM, socrates63 said:

Some 7800 games I recently picked up. With these games added, I have seven games remaining for a complete NTSC set.

I also got a Star Wars prototype repro for the 2600. It's got a great looking label and was built using a Parker Brothers game cartridge -- a nice touch.

DSC07375.thumb.JPG.4c8d02cb41973939cc8ee70b2858c61e.JPG 

Very cool! I still need Water Ski and Tank Command. The rest I've just been lazy and hadn't picked them up knowing I could at about anytime I wanted. But I know that for me at least with these two Froggo released titles, they would just be shelf pieces as I would never want to actually play the games. So due to that, I'm more hesitant to drop the $ on them for the time being.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Very cool! I still need Water Ski and Tank Command. The rest I've just been lazy and hadn't picked them up knowing I could at about anytime I wanted. But I know that for me at least with these two Froggo released titles, they would just be shelf pieces as I would never want to actually play the games. So due to that, I'm more hesitant to drop the $ on them for the time being.

I hear ya, Jesse. I usually don't buy games for the sake of collecting and especially games that aren't good 😉 You're a wise man.

Cyber Monday pick-up! I wasn't planning to get anything today, but a friend needed a DS Lite charger, so I went to a local retro gaming store and pick up some games while there.

Does anyone have any information about the Activision Super Action Pak? Were there more such multi-carts? I assume this is a legit release and not a bootleg of some kind. The inside of the case is in bad shape. I picked it up because I'm an Activision fanboy.

The Defender cartridge is something I found in the house while cleaning this morning. I was excited to find it because it's one of the few artifacts I managed to hold on to from my original 80s collection of Atari computers.

They also had 5 DVDs for $5, and I saw The Man from Nowhere with the slip. I had to get that and added a few others to make the 5.

pickup-20201130-2.JPG.5c940361bb0f5799b67e6b16cbb8d3fe.JPG

pickup-20201130-4.JPG.b0f16a5c15ca1be66a33e3cdaf563d49.JPG

pickup-20201130-3.JPG.063ac88a33623ea7931e3bdafc3082c2.JPG

pickup-20201130-1.JPG.72e24cc46ad05226d9115fd3409032ba.JPG

I couldn’t find anything on the Activision pack, @socrates63. I think our best clue is the logo between the bottom two games.

Nice pickups! Crystal Castles is very fun for the 2600, but be warned! Don’t play this with a D-Pad! It sucks with one. Use a joystick of your choice instead. I find both the stock 2600 controller and the Proline to work well with the game. Superman also looks fun, and it’s a game that I’m currently looking out for. I mean, I have ‘Dventure thanks to you, so I need to get its sister game! Did you know that Superman was built off of Adventure’s early code? You can kind of see it once you know that.

And I’m really, REALLY happy for you, finding that Defender cart and all. I heard your horror story about how you got rid of all your old Atari stuff, so I’m glad you have at least a small remnant of your past collection. Preserving the history of each specific game is one of my favorite things. I’d rather have a beat-up copy of a game that has a story behind it than replacing it with something in better condition. Don’t even get me started on selling my collection! It’s been built up slowly since 1981, and I would hate to trade away those “family heirlooms”. So it’s nice to hear that a part of your childhood is still intact. Defender has history, so don’t go on selling it away!

As for my collection, I am really happy with how my 2600 collection is going. I now have many of the games that I wanted to get, but I’m still on the lookout for a couple. I might save up and buy some in bulk from Atari I/O’s very own @Scott Stilphen. I sent him a PM and I hope he responds soon! My 7800 collection is great now as well, as I have most of the games I wanted to get for it. Thanks again, @cjherr! I’m also happy to have my very own Homebrew cartridge, and it’s even better that it’s one of my favorite arcade games ported to one of my favorite systems!

I think I might get into 2600 subset collecting. I would like to expand my text label collection and get some more CBS games.

Awesome finds, Young!

I got a Core Grafx from a local gamer/collector this morning. He gave me a nice deal, and it came with an AV adapter that outputs composite and RGBs. It was $25 more than a PC Engine, but I was willing to pay a little extra to go with the dark gray case. Very nice looking console and it is tiny -- just the size of a CD case. This is the second console I bought in order to play in the I/O high score challenges. The Everdrive should arrive in a few days.

coregrafx1.JPG.a7287f7f24545cea634d06d2fe81602c.JPG

coregrafx2.JPG.8499ec4257095709462e8201a26b4837.JPG

131578942_446447059847448_1023148468173341106_n.jpg.3f59f8e6fd0bfd69d68240be983cdd58.jpg

Funny that you mention the TG-16. I am not very well acquainted with the machine at all. Yesterday, while working on hacking Zerobeat’s Wii, I decided to load up a multi-system emulator on my own Wii U as well. Now I can play TG-16 games for the first time, as well as Lynx, Virtual Boy, and more. Anyone have any good games recommendations? I picked up a few ROMs from past squad challenges here, about four or five total.

And that console looks very cool, @socrates63. It’s ridiculously tiny!