SOLD RickR's Summer 2020 Duplicate Blow Out Sale (or trade)

RickR

My Atari box of duplicates is overflowing.  Please take a look and let me know if there's anything here you're interested in.  Prices will be cheap!  Trades are fine too. PM me. 

Most of the loose carts have worn labels, but all are tested to work.  The two boxed games are in "just-ok" condition. 

** Removed pics to save bandwidth ** Sale is now over.  Thanks!

Edited by RickR

There are usually long stories about where the dupes come from.  🙂  In general:

• You buy a big ebay lot for one special game you don't have.  The rest go in the duplicates box.
  • You find a bargain at a local shop.  It doesn't matter if you have them already.  Those babies must come home with you.
  • You give stuff away.  People don't like taking stuff for free, so they nicely send you stuff they think you need.  I've learned to accept anything in trade to avoid making people feel obligated. 
  • Etc, etc, etc. 

I'm just glad to give them good homes.  Prices are low, most trades accepted. 

Hey, @RickR, are you familiar with Sky Diver? You probably have played it at least once if you already have a duplicate. To my knowledge there isn't a single player mode, unless you just try for a high score by yourself but what's the fun in that? It's fun with a retro gaming buddy, and it's simple enough  for non-retro gamers or just non-gamers in general to enjoy. The trick is to deploy your chute as close to the ground target as you can for maximum points, but forget to pull the chute and... SPLAT! It's a great game. There's a bit of a delay between pressing down and your parachute coming out, so keep that in mind!

21 minutes ago, HDN said:

Hey, @RickR, are you familiar with Sky Diver? You probably have played it at least once if you already have a duplicate. To my knowledge there isn't a single player mode, unless you just try for a high score by yourself but what's the fun in that? It's fun with a retro gaming buddy, and it's simple enough  for non-retro gamers or just non-gamers in general to enjoy. The trick is to deploy your chute as close to the ground target as you can for maximum points, but forget to pull the chute and... SPLAT! It's a great game. There's a bit of a delay between pressing down and your parachute coming out, so keep that in mind!

Yes.  You pretty much nailed it.  It's kind of typical for an early game....very crude graphics yet surprisingly fun.  I think there's a variation where both players try to hit the same landing pad, and it causes a lot of splats.  With two players, the game really is a lot of fun. 

9 hours ago, RickR said:

Interesting.  It went south first to San Francisco to an "international processing center".  When you get that package, it may smell like a campfire for all it's travel on the west coast. 

You should have put some marshmallows in there; I could have had s’mores when the games arrived 😁

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Yes.  You pretty much nailed it.  It's kind of typical for an early game....very crude graphics yet surprisingly fun.  I think there's a variation where both players try to hit the same landing pad, and it causes a lot of splats.  With two players, the game really is a lot of fun. 

The single pad variation? That's the only variation worth playing! Ha, ha! But seriously, lots of fun variations in that game. The moving targets are near impossible. It's a fun one.

Another fun game you have in there for multiplayer games is Maze Craze. I think that game has 200-some variations. I don't know what the differences are as when I play with others it is mostly Game One. It's a very fun and frantic game. I hate the variations with invisible or partially invisible mazes. It is another cart I would like to pick up someday when I have the funds.

Hmmm... what are some other fun games in that pile? Oh yeah, Warlords. I have considered buying Warlords in the past. It's supposed to be the Citizen Kane of Atari 2600 multiplayer games. But I didn't for two reasons. Reason number one: I don't have two pairs of paddles, and I heard it's much less fun with only one or two players. Reason number two: even if I had two pairs of paddles, I don't have four people who want to play Atari. Just two: me and my dad. My sister is anti-Atari for some bizarre reason. She only likes three VCS games: Basketball, Adventure, and Tunnel Runner. 

One game you have on sale I actually have the cart for for once! I love Night Driver! By far my favorite racing game on the system. Better than Pole Position and even Enduro! Indy 500 comes close to it though.

I won't understand the love of Pitfall! Don't get me wrong, it's a fun enough game, just I think it's a tad overrated. I think it's in that hidden Atari box my dad's cousin apparently has that is rumored to have Crazy Climber.

Anyone looking for a good game on the 2600 owes it to themselves to pick up Keystone Kapers if they don't already have it. A much better game than Pitfall! This one's by Garry Kitchen. One of his brothers, Dan, made the excellent Crackpots as well. I forget what Steve made, but he was also a dev.

Missile Command and Frogger are the official games of "Maybe I'll pick them up this time" whenever I go to the game store. But I never do. Frogger is rumored to be in the mystery Atari box, but I don't know about Missile Command. Both I would like sometime, but I would rather have Missile Command as I enjoy it more.

Star Raiders? Just play Starmaster!

Circus Atari is a game I would like to try with paddles. I have emulated it, but I feel it would be much better with paddles like Kaboom!, Breakout, Video Olympics, and so many others are.

Demons to Diamonds is one I would like to try with my dad sometime. Looks like an amazing two-player game. I adore the box art. Yet another paddle game I would love to try with, well, you know, paddles.

I'm too good at 2600 Asteroids. I can roll the score over with ease. I used to love this game, now it's sort of meh. I'm glad that there are game variations and difficulty switches! Again, great box art on this one. I guess I would recommend it. I will have to give it another look soon as  I haven't played in a while. I have the no-copyright cart. What cart is that, @RickR?

I would pass on Spacewar unless you want to play arguably the first-ever video game. If you want to play Spacewar, buy a PDP-10. Otherwise, just stick with Combat. Though it has nice box art and a CIB copy like this one would look good in any collection.

Oh, and the one that's blurred out was Adventure. I thought I was the first to call dibs only 20 minutes after it was posted, but I was too late! I hope it went to a good home! Whoever has that game will get loads of fun out of it. It would get old fast, but Game Three exists! I wish all adventure games had built-in randomizers. Like Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Glad we have the ROM hacking community to make those for us!

Well, there are some thoughts. I don't know why I did this. Heh, heh.

Edited by HDN

Star Raiders on the Atari computers was the "killer-app" on that system.  It was an astounding game for it's time.  Absolutely one of my top-5 games of all time.  Written by Doug Neubauer. He also created the POKEY sound chip, and Solaris on the 2600.  Some really fun reading here:  https://dougneubauer.com/atari/

The 2600 version is watered down quite a bit, but still fun.  I like that it came with that extra keypad controller.  Clearly, that was supposed to be used on other games that never came to be. 

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

Star Raiders on the Atari computers was the "killer-app" on that system.  It was an astounding game for it's time.  Absolutely one of my top-5 games of all time. 

I did know it was on Atari computers, but I haven't seen much gameplay footage. If it's really that good I will totally take your word for it. If I ever get an Atari computer, I will most certainly let you know what I think of that version.

5 minutes ago, RickR said:

Written by Doug Neubauer. He also created the POKEY sound chip, and Solaris on the 2600.  Some really fun reading here:  https://dougneubauer.com/atari/

Solaris is another game I like that I need the cart of. It's not particularly expensive. I will read that link later. He made POKEY too? That's a pretty talented guy right there.

6 minutes ago, RickR said:

The 2600 version is watered down quite a bit, but still fun.  I like that it came with that extra keypad controller.  Clearly, that was supposed to be used on other games that never came to be. 

Tell you what, Rick. I will read the manual tonight and when I get one of my Atari systems back I will totally play some Star Raiders. It is pretty much the same as Starmaster. To be fair, Star Raiders came out first. Not many talk about it, but Activision really did rip off lots of games and improve upon them. Dragster, Starmaster, Enduro, Kaboom!, etc.

But I will give it a fair shot with an open mind for you, Rick! I will tell you what I think when I play it!

There are FOUR games that are very similar in theme:  Star Raiders (Atari), Starmaster (Activision), Space Battle (M-Network) and Star Voyager (Imagic).  I'd rate them like this:

1. Star Voyager - This one is all action and looks great. 
  2. Starmaster - It's simpler and smoother than Star Raiders
  3. Space Battle - You don't really fly through space here, but I like the cascading explosions.  Pretend you're playing Battlestar Galactica on this one.
  4. Star Raiders - hard to control the battle portion.  It's the most "Star Trek" of these games.

Ooof, that was tough.  They are all great games and they all are within millimeters of each other ratings-wise.  The one great thing about Star Raiders is you don't need to consult the manual to remember the controls. 

;