My New Gaming Setup

LeeJ07

1 minute ago, HDN said:

That's sad. One of my biggest fears has always been a housefire.

Yeah, 95% of my collection was destroyed September 23rd of last year.

Only my Switch and 3DS libraries were saved because I was able to easily grab them in time.

I've only replaced about 65% so far.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

8 minutes ago, LeeJ07 said:

Yeah, 95% of my collection was destroyed September 23rd of last year.

Only my Switch and 3DS libraries were saved because I was able to easily grab them in time.

I've only replaced about 65% so far.

I can't even imagine. I'm so sorry.

You should use that wii for emulation. It's pretty good at everything below ps1. I also applaud you for choosing the red color. I have a black one, GameCube backwards compatible too.

1 minute ago, HDN said:

I can't even imagine. I'm so sorry.

You should use that wii for emulation. It's pretty good at everything below ps1. I also applaud you for choosing the red color. I have a black one, GameCube backwards compatible too.

This is my shelf. I've picked up a few import items this time around I never owned before.

IMG_20200330_133325252.jpg

IMG_20200330_133337812.jpg

1 minute ago, LeeJ07 said:

Yes, I have. A member of this site (name escapes me at the moment) sent me a box with 40 or so 2600 games and a new 2600 Jr., too.

That's nice. I'll always prefer the Vader though :)

I got my first two 2600s a few months ago. They were both broken, but luckily I was able to fix them. They came from my Dad's cousin who was getting rid of them. They came with a bunch of cool stuff, like a ton of games (mostly CIB & mint), comics, catalogs, and this cool ET poster. I have been emulating the games on my wii for nearly a decade, however.

1 minute ago, HDN said:

That's nice. I'll always prefer the Vader though 🙂

I got my first two 2600s a few months ago. They were both broken, but luckily I was able to fix them. They came from my Dad's cousin who was getting rid of them. They came with a bunch of cool stuff, like a ton of games (mostly CIB & mint), comics, catalogs, and this cool ET poster. I have been emulating the games on my wii for nearly a decade, however.

I had a bunch of Atari catalogues and manuals before the fire. All destroyed.

That is a nice setup you have, Lee.  Very nice.  It's been about a year since that happened but it looks like your collection is coming along nicely.  I have a Wii and have thought about upgrading to a Wii U a time or two.  I've also thought about adding a PS3 to the mix.  Those are the only 2 consoles I'm after and then I'm done collecting hardware.  After that it would be only about the games.  Unfortunately I would have to order them of the internet for the most part because we lost our GameStop.  We have no other local used game store.  I've thought about starting one but I don't want to have to sacrifice my collection.

45 minutes ago, kamakazi20012 said:

That is a nice setup you have, Lee.  Very nice.  It's been about a year since that happened but it looks like your collection is coming along nicely.  I have a Wii and have thought about upgrading to a Wii U a time or two.  I've also thought about adding a PS3 to the mix.  Those are the only 2 consoles I'm after and then I'm done collecting hardware.  After that it would be only about the games.  Unfortunately I would have to order them of the internet for the most part because we lost our GameStop.  We have no other local used game store.  I've thought about starting one but I don't want to have to sacrifice my collection.

Definitely get a Wii U. It's a genuinely great console.

@kamakazi20012 as much as people hate it, the Wii U is truly an amazing console. When I was ten years old, I never wanted anything more in my life than a Wii U and Super Mario Maker. The console holds a very special place in my heart indeed. It also served as the multimedia center in my family for a few years before we finally upgraded to a smart TV. I use it for YouTube and Netflix on the TV in my room mostly nowadays. A good perk for Wii U owners is that the games are much less expensive than their Switch equivalents. You can buy Pikmin 3 Deluxe when it comes out on Switch for $60, or buy virtually the same game on Wii U now for about a third of the price.

I've got a Wii U and games here that my kids abandoned when they got a Switch.  It's all mine to try, but I haven't had time to get into it yet.  Same for a PS3. 

It sucks to be old like me and all I do is work, work, work.  That's why I like the old retro games so much -- they allow one to game in short increments of time. 

5 minutes ago, RickR said:

I've got a Wii U and games here that my kids abandoned when they got a Switch.  It's all mine to try, but I haven't had time to get into it yet.  Same for a PS3. 

It sucks to be old like me and all I do is work, work, work.  That's why I like the old retro games so much -- they allow one to game in short increments of time. 

That's a great thing about Atari and other older games. Got a few minutes to kill? Play some Q*Bert or Vanguard.

7 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Vanguard is one of my personal favorites.  I prefer the 5200 version but I enjoy kickin' it on the 2600 once in a while.

Vanguard's great! Never played the 5200 version, but it looks decent enough.

3 hours ago, HDN said:

Vanguard's great! Never played the 5200 version, but it looks decent enough.

Believe it or not, the reason why I enjoy 5200's Vanguard the most is because of the music during the diagonally moving stages (I can't remember the names).  I've learned that the stages don't advance until you destroy a set number of enemies so I will just sit there as long as possible to hear the music.  It's also the ONLY space shoot 'em up on the system in the style of the NES games Gradius and Life Force which use to be my favorite game genre.  I'd personally love to see 2D shooters like these make a comeback on modern systems that are good and don't feel rushed or like they were done just to make a quick buck.

2 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Believe it or not, the reason why I enjoy 5200's Vanguard the most is because of the music during the diagonally moving stages

Vultan's theme from Flash Gordon or is there also BGM in that version?