Adventure (2600) vs. Zelda (NES)

HDN

Which is your favorite: Adventure or The Legend of Zelda?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these games do you enjoy more?

• Adventure (Atari 2600)
    • The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Which one of these games do you enjoy more? Not the better game, but what has brought you more enjoyment over the years. Be sure to elaborate down below if you so desire! Me, I'm 100% Adventure. Zelda is cool for what it did for the industry, but it's too cryptic and confusing for me to enjoy without a guide. Adventure has aged much better in my opinion. But what's your favorite?

Edited by HDN

I love Zelda, the original one, because I experienced it first...long before I would experience Adventure. My favorite Zelda, however, is A Link to the Past on the Super but it's not listed.  My favorite adventure/RPG is Phantasy Star III on the Genesis but Adventure holds its own for a simple reason...it has no story.

Well, let me put it in a different tone.  Zelda, and other adventure games that followed, were great games but the had one problem: replay value. Once you beat them you were pretty much done. You knew where everything was at that point and doing it all over again might not have been as exciting for some.  While true the second go around in Zelda changed things around the plot was the same.  Adventure really has no story on the scale of games like Zelda.  All you are after is a golden chalice while avoiding up to three dragons.  And, yes, I've beat all three rounds not too long ago and had a blast doing it.  I picked Adventure mainly because I'd be more likely to play all three levels of it again before I'd go after Ganon again. 

However, Adventure is not my favorite.  Good game: yes.  The only reason I wanted a 2600 way back when was for Space Invaders...that's it.  But if I only had Adventure and Zelda to choose from I'd go with Adventure.

I really like both, but Zelda gets the nod. Is basically plays like Super Adventure!

BTW, did you ever notice the similarities between the two games?

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

52 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

I really like both, but Zelda gets the nod. Is basically plays like Super Adventure!

BTW, did you ever notice the similarities between the two games?

Yes actually. I saw this video a while back. I thought I was the only one to make that comparison!

I had plans to play through Legend of Zelda (and finish it for the first time), but I have not yet had time to do so.  But I will.  I'm current playing "999" on DS, and it's really good.  I'll get back to Zelda after that.  

PS - I will list 2600 Adventure as my favorite game of all time.  I think original Legend of Zelda is truly a worthy sequel.  The features that I really like about Zelda are the similarities to Adventure.  For example, it's pretty much all action -- not a lot of wasted time on cut scenes or reading.  You have to figure things out as you go.  I love that.  

Why Atari never came up with a successor to Adventure really shows how badly managed they could be.  Most gamers of my vintage will put Adventure in their top 10 games.  Yet they just let it languish.  The same can be said for a game like Yars', which should have spawned a series of games.  

How cool would it have been to see a new version of Adventure with better graphics, a new story, and some text on the 5200?  A wasted opportunity.  That one game would have sold a ton of 5200's I'm sure.  This ain't brain surgery, Ray!  Sheesh.  

ET isn't in the same ballpark.  The genre and gameplay are similar, but it's missing the typical storyline and elements of Adventure-style games (ie - swordplay, battle, live or die, castles, dragons, mythical beings, etc).  I think it's more fair to compare ET to Superman.  

Edited by RickR