Squad Challenge - Galaxian (Atari 2600)

Justin

Oh, it's okay. Tomorrow is Monday. A new day. My problems are nothing compared to what others are facing in these difficult times. @RickR had much worse problems with the fires. I bet a lot of I/O users on the east coast of the US had much worse problems with hurricanes. I will be okay.

My last run for the night, and it was a good one. Once you get into a groove, I don't feel like the game gets any harder after a certain point. It just becomes a matter of focus. Once in a few waves, the bottom row peons goes a little crazy and increase in speed and zigzag, but they go back to their usual selves in the subsequent waves.

IMG_1269.thumb.jpeg.fa69a9804283747dcfc8487468fe7343.jpeg

WOW, @socrates63.  Very nicely done!  I think you're right about it being a matter of focus.  That's what I have trouble with.  Focusing for the full time it takes to get to the higher level.  I usually do really well, and then someone or something distracts me and I lose all my lives almost at once. 

Work permitting, I'll try once more today to at least break 50k if I can. 

17 minutes ago, James Campbell Jr. said:

New contestant!

23,250 Not bad for my first day. Just got the game today so I can compete!

Sept 14, 2020

Fantastic!  That's a great score for someone new to the game.  Don't forget to attach a picture to your score.  Let us know if you need help with that. 

Wish I could get some Galaxian in before the night is over, but I can't. The good news is I don't have a Lynx, so I'm just going to keep on playing Galaxian! I'll be sure to make a status update or something if I get into the 30k Club, the 50k Club, or the Jesus-level Galaxian Skills Club that @Scott Stilphen and @socrates63 are in! 

Thanks for the great game, @RickR. I don't know what's going on with that site, but I hope it gets back up soon. This is quite frustrating. But thanks for the game. If there's another 2600 Squad Challenge with a game I don't have, I'll be sure to let you know and maybe we can make another trade!

21 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I don't feel like the game gets any harder after a certain point. It just becomes a matter of focus. Once in a few waves, the bottom row peons goes a little crazy and increase in speed and zigzag, but they go back to their usual selves in the subsequent waves.

http://www.ataricompendium.com/game_library/easter_eggs/vcs/26galaxian.html

Waves 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 have Galaxians that move notably faster than in other waves.  There are no more ‘fast’ waves after wave 30, but if you lose a ship, the wave you’re on will become a fast wave.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Scott Stilphen!

Congratulations to @Scott Stilphen who just became Master of the Galaxians!! We had one of our BIGGEST TURNOUTS which was just about on par with our recent 2020 Pole Position II Grand Prix!! Amazing! Galaxian is one of the funnest arcade ports on the Atari 2600 and turned out to be one of our most fun Squad Challenges too! I want to thank EVERYBODY for joining in High Score Squad and for making this a fun place to play games with friends, old and new.

@Scott Stilphen almost broke into the 100,000 Points Club with his impressive score of 96,830 to clench the top spot and come in 1st Place on the board. @socrates63 also played a very impressive game and scored 81,990 points to take 2nd Place. @RickR takes 3rd with a hefty 53,030 point finish. Way to go, guys! And lets all give a GIANT Atari I/O Welcome to our new friends @James Campbell Jr. and @GoldenGalaxiesGaming who joined us in High Score Squad this week, it's great to have you guys here! This was a fun week with a tremendous turnout. @MaliciousCarp @Atari 5200 Guy @HDN @Sabertooth @RadioPoultry @Kid A @TrekMD @Atari Creep and @Willie! all turned out this week with their best scores! Congratulations everyone on joining in this challenge and checking out one of Atari's best arcade ports. As always I'd like to encourage Scott Stilphen to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

Also, to keep a running list of who's entered into BTB's Atari 7800 Paddle Controllers Giveaway Contest, so far the following Members have asked to be entered and are permanently enrolled through the rest of the contest: @RickR @Sabertooth @nosweargamer @TrekMD @socrates63. If you don't see your name listed and would like to enter to win the pair of 7800 Paddle Controllers, be sure to say "Hey BTB, enter me to win!" when posting your next high score!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be an Atari Lynx game! Get those Sun Visors out and those batteries charged! Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_2600_galaxian.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Woo_hoo!_poster.jpg.12fe4911a0c296ffc3e6f9cc48b90a68.jpgCongratulations to all the participants! This was a very fun one with many folks improving their scores as time went on. Personally, this high score challenge made a Galaxian lover out of me, so I'm very happy for that outcome as well.

For the next challenge, I don't own a Lynx. I'm going to fire up my RetroPi 3 and hope that the image has it.

I was expecting 'socrates' to come storming back at the end.  I posted in the scoreboard thread.  Let's see who can break 100k first!

This is actually a pretty good port of the arcade game, aside from the strange border around the screen.  Current WR champ George Riley has some videos of his Galaxian gameplay that are worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Disjaukifa63

22 hours ago, Scott Stilphen said:

I was expecting 'socrates' to come storming back at the end.  I posted in the scoreboard thread.  Let's see who can break 100k first!

I gave it one final run after seeing your score 🤠 but didn't have it in me. But as you said, there's still the high scoreboard waiting for the 100k score 😉