Activision Patch-worthy Scores of Atari I/O

socrates63

@TrekMD It's amazing what some of you have held onto all these years! I envy you.

@RickR congratulations 🍾🥂 Nice photo with the box and manual there!

I've hit my daily post limit, so I may just edit this single post for the rest of the day if I need to say anything 😆

Edited by socrates63

4 hours ago, socrates63 said:

@RickR congratulations 🍾🥂 Nice photo with the box and manual there!

Thank you!  To get the patch score, you have to keep the pedal to the medal the whole time and cannot hit anything at all -- not a single bird.  It demands perfection, which is not my strong suit. 

Ok. My turn. I am honored to be your first Megamaniac. There is truly nothing like Atari in the dark. Megamania is a poor example, but games like Yar's Revenge or Wizard of Wor light the whole room up!

image.jpg.0f2e66a28fccb84a4e552c5f658b0d15.jpg

Great idea, @RickR and @socrates63. I'm going to go for the Billy Club or become a Crackpot next.

I think I'm going to drag my Activision games out tomorrow and attempt to get "patches" four the games I have where I don't have a scored for.  More for personal reasons than anything.  I'm not after beating others' scores.  I want to see if I can earn them.  I never got the chance when you could get those patches and I love a good challenge...a challenge I know only the 2600 could give.

58 minutes ago, RickR said:

Oh and Harry...the manual doesn't say it, but you MUST listen to this when playing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsntlJZ9h1U&ab_channel=hallandoatesVEVO

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

Got another one.  Freeway, game 3, 20 points. 

You're on a roll, @RickR, in more ways than one 🤣

I got ONE!  Put me down for Megamania, please.  And send me a patch 😉 Just kidding.  I envy you guys that actually got patches from Activision when they were doing them.  Curse you, 5200.  I got 69,700 pts.  Best run I've had on that game yet.

WIN_20200907_00_59_20_Pro.jpg.a89ae937cd6129879399071dc46d3912.jpgWIN_20200907_00_59_35_Pro.jpg.a1e2a8b95b458963ad1ff7a077eed6b1.jpg

Oh yea...I've been trying them ALL!  I'm trying some I have never done and I've got a few others out to try to improve my previous score.  Yep...all set for Labor Day.  And there's Mt. Dew in plenty.

I'm working on that one now but I'm a bit confused on the scoring.  Do the scores to get the patches include refueling or no refueling?  

Also, I have Space Shuttle instructions and they say 5th dock with satellite (you have 4) and have 4,500 fuel left AFTER landing you get the first badge.  But also says if you can get that satellite to dock a 6th time and have 7,500 fuel remaining you get the second badge.  It doesn't mention having to land for the 6th capture.  I wonder if you had to land.  Does anyone know?

6 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I'm working on that one now but I'm a bit confused on the scoring.  Do the scores to get the patches include refueling or no refueling?

According to the manual, docking for repairs and refueling results in -100 points from your final score.
 https://atariage.com/manual_page.php?SystemID=2600&ItemTypeID=&SoftwareLabelID=507&currentPage=6&maxPages=8&currentPage=5

4 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

According to the manual, docking for repairs and refueling results in -100 points from your final score.
 https://atariage.com/manual_page.php?SystemID=2600&ItemTypeID=&SoftwareLabelID=507&currentPage=6&maxPages=8&currentPage=5

I was also wondering about this. I have the manual, but you just saved me 30 seconds. Thanks.

Laser Blast - 101,520. 

I had this patch as a kid, but I can't find it now.  Lost to the sands of time I guess.

I was just thinking of how difficult it was to get these patches back then as a kid.  You had to swipe the family camera, take a few shots, wait weeks for the film roll to be consumed, wait more for the film to be developed, get yelled at when Dad saw how you "wasted" film, get pissed because the flash ruined the shot or it was blurry, then do it all again.  It could take MONTHS!  And then the wait to mail it in and wait to hear back from Activision. 

laser blast patch 002.JPG