Activision Patch-worthy Scores of Atari I/O

socrates63

3,608. I barely got the Ensign patch on Starmaster. Far from my best score on this mode. Of all the games like this on the system (Star Ship, Star Raiders, Star Voyager, etc.), Starmaster is easily my favorite. Strangely, Star Ship is second. I'd love to get my hands on that cart someday. More specifically Outer Space because it sounds cooler.

101_0928.JPG.30cc0ca16298e52e145ba0b994c4ef13.JPG

34 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

@HDN not quite but almost there. 3800 is the minmum patch score

WHOOPS! I misread it as 3,600! Well, here ya go. Still a far cry from my previous high score of 8,158, but 5,369 is good enough for now.

101_0929.JPG.e06f600e5798c0d320638c604336e1ea.JPG

I've been trying for Crackpots recently. It's hard and I haven't gotten within 20,000 points of the patch, but it's super fun and I'm definitely improving. I think I'm going to take a break from Crackpots and try for Kaboom or a higher level on Starmaster. I have a better shot at those for now, but expect a Crackpot soon!

10 hours ago, HDN said:

I've been trying for Crackpots recently. It's hard and I haven't gotten within 20,000 points of the patch, but it's super fun and I'm definitely improving. I think I'm going to take a break from Crackpots and try for Kaboom or a higher level on Starmaster. I have a better shot at those for now, but expect a Crackpot soon!

Kaboom! is hard. I've managed to hit 2k.

1 minute ago, socrates63 said:

Kaboom! is hard. I've managed to hit 2k.

My record is currently a little over 2k as well. You really have to shut off your surroundings to play. With a little practice, I can do it.

I also got the game L patch score... but my SD card wasn't in my camera. D'oh! Guess I'll have to try again.

11 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

ee794b4eb4f623564d8fce8eb0125afd.jpg.b15fa4e5182dcaa1773666a9512de386.jpg  Great work, Harry! I played Crackpots a couple of times a few months ago. I didn't know what I was doing -- should have read the manual.

So it's kind of like reverse Kaboom in a way; you're the guy at the top throwing stuff down. You drop flowerpots at the spiders below. There are 12 in a wave, I believe, and you have to make sure you don't let more than six of them in the building. If you let them in, they will eat a layer of the building, making the distance between the spiders on the ground and the windows closer. There are four kinds of spiders: 

Black: these guys move up in a straight line to the windows

Blue: these ones zig-zag, but not very wide; treat them like the black ones

Red: these will move diagonally. The window they enter will be 3 spaces away from where they start climbing (2 if the building is low enough). You have to anticipate where they are going to be.

Green: like the blue spiders, these will zig-zag, but they cover more horizontal ground. Time these decently well. It's easier on later levels as they move faster and will most likely hit your flowerpot.

The game ends when the spiders eat just below the six red bricks near the top of the building. Good luck and enjoy!

6 hours ago, HDN said:

YES!!!! I DID IT!!!! This was pretty much the only game I played since Friday, except for a few rounds of Starmaster. I'm shaking right now. I don't think my heart has ever beaten this fast. 81,160. Put me on the list for Crackpots, @socrates63! What a exceptional game. 

image.jpg.d7c614b0799ddcc1cef5a30db37d7f9a.jpg

THIS is what Atari and Atari I/O are all about.  THIS is why I enjoy coming here...to see friends accomplish something they never did before.  And the excitement in those words...is what video games are all about.  Heartfelt fun at the core.  Awesome job, @HDN

As long as there are generations after us that can find this same amount of enjoyment out of these games that we are struggling to preserve in real form then Atari games will live on to challenge and excite many generations to come.  I really hope someone can say they have an Atari and games over 100 years old that still works.  I might not get to live to see that day but ... Maybe I can take my 2600 Jr with me ... Any who I hope who does get these collections we work on can appreciate them as much as we do.

16 hours ago, HDN said:

Keystone Kapers Billy Club, please! 40,950 points. I'm on a roll... Sadly no puns like @RickR had. 

image.jpg.d99907e4e1811c4c268dabb4494a7be4.jpg

Four more Activision games that I have to go: Ice Hockey, Private Eye, Chopper Command, and Kaboom!

Yowza! Great job, Harry. 

I tried yesterday both Crackpots and Keystone Kapers. I fell well short of the mark. These are pretty tough games!

3 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Yowza! Great job, Harry. 

I tried yesterday both Crackpots and Keystone Kapers. I fell well short of the mark. These are pretty tough games!

I can crush Keystone Kapers until the level with double bouncing balls, where I almost always promptly lose all my lives. Crackpots takes a bit to get used to.

I'm 20 points away from Bucket Brigade. I must have tried well over  100 times. Kaboom is hard. I don't know how people do it. That's one perk of school online: near unlimited Atari access.

1 minute ago, HDN said:

I can crush Keystone Kapers until the level with double bouncing balls, where I almost always promptly lose all my lives. Crackpots takes a bit to get used to.

I'm 20 points away from Bucket Brigade. I must have tried well over  100 times. Kaboom is hard. I don't know how people do it. That's one perk of school online: near unlimited Atari access.

Only 20 points short? Wow.

Yes, Kaboom is hard. It just becomes automatic reaction at some point -- no thinking but just reacting instantly to the falling buckets.

WOO-HOO!!!! I got 3,385 points in Kaboom! Now I never have to play this again! I swear, I must've played around 200 rounds of this; they go so quickly and I suck! @socrates63, please send me my Bucket Brigade patch in 4-6 weeks!

image.jpg.79912940dd7a140fb6217bcfef557dc7.jpg

image.jpg.659c58847738849bc9ce66a36f797e21.jpg

Only 3 games to go! Two are at my grandparent's house. I'll have to pick those up soon. I've been staying home so I don't get them sick when I visit!

15 minutes ago, RickR said:

You are doing the right thing, although I know how hard it is.

It is hard. Sitting in the same spot in front of a computer in a video call in class with virtually no breaks sucks. The teachers walk away from the microphone so it's near impossible to hear them most of the time and they obviously prioritize the in-person people. Plus I can't talk to anyone. I don't have Snapchat or Instagram like any of my friends from school do, and that's mostly how they communicate. That's why this website is so great during this quarantine. Not saying I'm going to leave when the virus is over, but it is nice to have here during these strange and unfamiliar times. I love my grandparents and going over there to visit with them and help them weed the garden, make dinner, mow the lawn, etc. is much more important to me and worth the sacrifices. Some people have it way worse than I do right now, and I'm fortunate to have all that I do have in my life.

22 minutes ago, RickR said:

And GREAT JOB on the Kaboom score.  That is a super hard one.

It is quite hard. I don't know how people like Mike Matei can play so well. But I've learned from a James and Mike video on Cinemassacre a while back to drop a bomb just before you reach 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 etc. points. When you get 1,000 etc. points, you get a bucket back, and when you drop a bomb the speed dies down a bit. You must turn off all of your surroundings and really focus to do well.

This was one of the first games I bought for my 2600. I played on Wii 2600 beforehand, as expected. On that emulator you have to kind of roll the Wii Mote to play. It basically plays like a dirty paddle that way. You NEED the paddle for this game. I can't imagine playing this any other way and doing remotely well. I wonder what the 5200 version is like. Oh, @Atari 5200 Guy?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go play Private Ey-- I mean... do Biology stuff. Yeah, let's go with that.

18 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'm trying Robot Tank today.  The best I've done so far is 37.  I will keep trying or switch back to Galaxian. 

This one is a very impressive game for the 2600.  The changing time and weather is pretty cool. 

robot tank 001.JPG

NOT FOR USE WITH ATARI 7800 PROSYSTEM. Or so I've heard. Robot Tank looks fun. I've never played, but I assume it's like a suped-up Battlezone. Activision was great at taking others' concepts and improving upon them. (Avalanche became Kaboom!,  Space Invaders, Galaxian, Phoenix, etc. became Megamania, Drag Race became Dragster, Donkey Kong (to an extent) became Pitfall!, et cetera)

Speaking of the ProSystem, I'm going to be getting two new 7800 games today. The game store called for my sister, actually. She got Link Between Worlds (which is INFURIATING because she won't even give Link to the Past the time of day because of her need for modern graphics) and while there my dad saw some 7800 titles. There was a BOGO with the choice of two titles. I will tell you one was Pole Position II, so I obviously didn't get that one as I own it. The other (not BOGO game) was completely covered by our member discount. I will post later with the games! 

Another hint: they are not Galaga, Food Fight, or Xevious. I hope to buy those from @chas10e soon!

PS: thanks for the badge @socrates63! That took far less than 4 to 6 weeks!

Edited by HDN
Badge thanks