Jump to content
MaliciousCarp

Homemade or Custom Controllers

Recommended Posts

I really love the idea of building my own controllers for various systems.  

This is a topic for showing off your own creations.

 

I want to start off with my 4 player Warlords controller!  I built this to force everyone to crowd in for 4 player warlords for some shoulder to shoulder competitive play.  Of course it had to be retired for now due to COVID because it is not social distancing friendly, but I am confident that it will see action once again someday!

IMG_20200905_173816096.jpg.859926b6f327036015d2784878cf8211.jpg

Here is a video that I made a while ago showing it off:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a cool Warlords controller! I LOVE the idea of making game-specific controllers! Think of the possibilities! Dragster controller, Robotron 2084 controller, Asteroids controller, Raiders of the Lost Ark controller, Video Pinball controller; the list goes on and on! I would love to create some of these someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HDN said:

What a cool Warlords controller! I LOVE the idea of making game-specific controllers! Think of the possibilities! Dragster controller, Robotron 2084 controller, Asteroids controller, Raiders of the Lost Ark controller, Video Pinball controller; the list goes on and on! I would love to create some of these someday.

My two biggest constraints are space and time 🙂 Once I build them I don't have the heart to tear them down! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HDN said:

@MaliciousCarp I am subbed to your channel now. I have a question for you: where do you source your parts? They must be a bit pricy given the niche nature of arcade controller building.

Honestly I buy from sellers either on Amazon or eBay.  If you shop around and are willing to wait a bit - you can get them relatively cheap.

For my 7800 arcade sticks, the joysticks were $9 each, the arcade buttons were $1.50 each, and the cables were $15 for the pair. (I printed the cases, so they were probably about $10 worth of filament combined)

For stuff like resistors / capacitors / spare switches / wire / spade connectors / proto board / hear shrink tube... I have been buying assortments of them over the years.  I have a pretty good selection on hand at any given time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HDN said:

@MaliciousCarp I am subbed to your channel now. I have a question for you: where do you source your parts? They must be a bit pricy given the niche nature of arcade controller building.

Oh, and thanks for subscribing.  I usually just post random stuff there that I want to share with my friends, or if I make content for a friend's channel.  I hope you enjoy it - it can get kind of random🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HDN said:

@MaliciousCarp I am subbed to your channel now. I have a question for you: where do you source your parts? They must be a bit pricy given the niche nature of arcade controller building.

Harry, look up the seller retrogameboyz on ebay. He now sells 3-D printed cases used for my 7800 controllers. He told me that he buys parts on Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next up  I have my 7800 arcade sticks.

472773596_IMG_20200905_172009543(1).jpg.dbfda1bfb19afe4671b539111c6456e8.jpg

As I said earlier in this thread:
For my 7800 arcade sticks, the joysticks were $9 each, the arcade buttons were $1.50 each, and the cables were $15 for the pair. (I printed the cases, so they were probably about $10 worth of filament combined)

1087273431_IMG_20200703_175302508(1).jpg.65340861e3b1552154c6bf680b20dde6.jpg

My wiring looks really messy, but it works.  I would like to redesign the cases at some point to have rounded edges and corners, but they work great for now. If/When I make new cases - I will clean up the wiring too.

As an added bonus - they fit perfectly in an Ikea spice rack (using Atari Carts as spacers, and a bit of rope to secure them in place) for playing some twin stick Robotron!

IMG_20200703_172732649.jpg.52d8ce3b7a20ba9f57e5a23495bfae19.jpg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo, @MaliciousCarp. I watched your video about making a knockoff Genesis controller into a 7800 gamepad. That's genius. I'm pretty cheap and don't want to spend the money on the Seagull adapter. Do you have a schematic or something for your project you can post here? This is an excellent idea.

Oh, those exact same controllers came with the Genesis flashback. They really are quite nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HDN said:

Yo, @MaliciousCarp. I watched your video about making a knockoff Genesis controller into a 7800 gamepad. That's genius. I'm pretty cheap and don't want to spend the money on the Seagull adapter. Do you have a schematic or something for your project you can post here? This is an excellent idea.

Oh, those exact same controllers came with the Genesis flashback. They really are quite nice.

Those are still the gamepads that I use on my 7800 when I am not using my arcade sticks!

I used the same 7800 wiring schematic that I used for the arcade sticks (Originally Posted by WyluliWolf on AtariAge)
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/258152-byo-atari-7800-controller-schematic-for-dummys/

Good luck!  It was a really fun project!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...