Squad Challenge - Chip's Challenge (Atari Lynx)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Chip's Challenge
Atari Lynx
Controller: LYNX D-PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: PLAYER'S CHOICE, No Points Pressing
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST September 30, 2020

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between September 15th through September 30th, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

PLAYER'S CHOICE, No Points Pressing. Chip's Challenge features a "Save Feature" that allows you to continue your progression through the game by entering a four-letter Password to skip levels and start where you last left off. Your choice of Password and Level is the only Difficulty feature for Chip's Challenge. For this Squad Challenge we are allowing for PLAYER'S CHOICE, enabling you to choose whichever Level you'd like to start your game at. The object of this Squad Challenge is not how far you progress through the levels of the game, the objective is to achieve the highest score possible. If you believe starting at Level 12 gives you the best opportunity to score points, or starting back at Level 1, that decision is up to you and will be part of formulating your strategy to win the Squad Challenge. Points Pressing is not allowed.

Scoring

You can earn points two different ways in Chip's Challenge. On each level, time bonus points and level bonus points combine to give you your level score. During each play session, your level scores add together and display as your total score. The number of level bonus points you earn depends on how many times you have to repeat the level before successfully completing the level. If you complete the level on the first try, you receive 500 points multiplied by the level number. Each time you die or have to restart, the number of points you receive deceases by 20%. The minimum level bonus is 500 points or 20% of the level number x 500, whichever is greater. You receive 10 time bonus points for every second remaining on the timer when you complete a level. On levels that are not times, the bonus is always zero. Your scores for each level are added towards your cumulative total score for the game.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 88th Squad Challenge! We just wrapped up another amazing Squad Challenge with Galaxian on Atari 2600, and now we're spicing things up with a game for Atari Lynx! For this Squad Challenge we're playing Chip's Challenge, one of the Epyx launch titles for Atari Lynx! Chip's Challenge is a wonderful puzzle game that makes you think and work out your next steps. It was one of my very first games on Atari Lynx and it's grown to be one of my favorite video games of all time. I really believe this is an underrated classic that's been overlooked by some Lynx gamers who maybe just aren't into puzzle games. I got Chip's Challenge on a whim, there were very few Lynx titles available at Toys R Us at that time. I had seen Chip's Challenge before in Lynx ads and knew what it was, but wasn't as excited about it as other games, like Blue Lightning. I ended up getting the game anyway, and it quickly became on of my favorites for Lynx, and for any game system. Chip's Challenge reminds me of summer vacations more than almost any other game! I played it in the car so much that summer, and even after I got home. Chip's Challenge and California games went with me everywhere. It's bright, colorful graphics, silicon chip world, and unique Lynx chip tunes and sound give Chip's Challenge a ton of character. I hope you guys find this game to be as enjoyable as I did. And because this is a Lynx Squad Challenge, I would encourage ALL OF YOU to join in the best you can! The Atari Lynx isn't as readily available as the 2600, but Lynx emulation is pretty decent these days and I hope all of you will find a way, ANY WAY to play. Chip's Challenge will be a fun Atari Lynx game to play among friends in the forums! PDF Instructions are provided below. And a special WELCOME to all our new Members playing in this Squad Challenge! Good luck to everybody participating! 

NOTE: Another great Squad Challenge is right around the corner! We'll be playing a "black box game" for the Nintendo Entertainment System! Be there! :nintendo_nes:

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Chip's Challenge.lnx Chip's Challenge.pdf

large.THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-A.gif

Here are a few Pro-Tips for scoring big in Chip's Challenge:

Read The Instruction Manual

The instructions for Chip's Challenge give a great overview of the different elements of the game and what they are used for. Blue Blocks, One Way Walls, Ice Traps, Monsters, Teleport Squares, Force Floor Traps, Chip Sockets, Toggle Blocks, Clone Machines, whew! There's so much going on and yet the game is so simple. Understanding what's what is key to mastering the game. Spend 5 minutes reading the manual, it's helpful and the PDF is provided above.

Take Photos Of Your Score

For this Squad Challenge, your Score is what counts. Be sure to get a picture of it! You can't always see your score on screen at all times, but there are ways the score is displayed. I've asked @Atari Creep to make a little video demonstrating how this can be accomplished. Taking a picture of your score is something you'll want to be on the ball with.

Use Passwords

The four-letter Passwords are an Epyx trademark on many early Atari Lynx games. Passwords let you skip levels and pick up where you left off once you die. Passwords will not save your score, but it will save your progress through the game. Use Passwords as part of your strategy! Maybe you've found a few levels that are your favorite that you did well with. Using those levels as a starting point the next time you play could give you a nice boost in your Score.

Draw Maps

Take notes and draw maps of difficult levels. I always did this on graph paper! Some of my fondest memories of these games were staying up late with my friend Jon playing games like Chip's Challenge, and Zillion on Sega Master System, taking notes and mapping everything out on graph paper. I still have some of them!

Use Escape Routes

Leave yourself an escape route whenever possible. This is a smart strategy that you should have in the back of your mind in all levels as challenge increases.

Pause And Think

Timing is crucial on some levels. Use PAUSE to give you time to think.

Get Bizarre

Chip's Challenge is a spicy game! If the obvious solution doesn't work, try a bizarre solution. The bizarre will usually pull you through!

Monsters Are Predictable

Chip's Challenge Monsters often move in predictable patterns. Pay attention to their movements and remember them in the future. If you start the game over at a certain level, you'll already have a feel for their behavior.

Objects Affect Monsters Too

Many objects affect monsters the same way they affect Chip. This knowledge can work to your advantage!

Get Unstuck From Impossible Situations

If you get stuck in an impossible situation, use OPTION 1 to restart the level without restarting the entire game.

I GUESSED IT! I could read you like an open book, @Justin!

Like @RickR, I am also ready.

pokerchips.jpg.f8d2964efd26eef992189cefd1001208.jpg

I don't have a Lynx or anything to competently emulate it on at the moment. I'm going to play some Galaxian. I found this cool 2600 ROM website that my stone-age computer can barely run. But it's good enough for now. I've been playing Crystal Castles and Video Chess on there. Both games I would love to get someday. Too bad Crystal Castles goes for way too much at my local game store and I can never find Video Chess.

Speaking of things I want, be sure to check out my new Wanted List! I can't buy anything or trade at the moment, but you can check it out to see what I'm looking for at the moment by clicking this link.

I wonder what the Black Box game is. I went through a phase where I collected Black Box games. I think I have Golf, Kung Fu, the amazing Baseball and Ten-Yard Fight (both hated games that are actually my favorite games based on their respective sports), Slalom, Duck Hunt (I'd be happy if it was Duck Hunt), and Super Mario Brothers. I may have some more I'm forgetting. I love Black Box titles. Next one I want to get is Pinball. I hope it's Duck Hunt, the original Mario Brothers, or Clu Clu Land!

Let's get back to the Squad Challenge! This game looks fun. If I get a Lynx, I will have to get this ASAP! I will see if I can't emulate it sometime in the next two weeks.

Happy gaming, everyone!

:pow_big:

2 minutes ago, RickR said:

I can assist with emulation if anyone needs help.  "MESS" does a fantastic job of Lynx emulation, and it's available for Windows or Mac. 

THANK YOU for volunteering @RickR that's very nice of you! We'd love for everyone here to be able to join in this Squad Challenge and future Atari Lynx Squad Challenges so let's do what we need to do to work through this now, that way we can always enjoy Atari Lynx games in the future! Rick is a trusted long-time Member and Constable in the forums and has experience with emulation.

21 minutes ago, RickR said:

Here's some good info on how to emulate the Lynx.  The web emulation works fine.  If you decide to use an app on your PC, Justin has attached the rom file in the first post. 

https://atarigamer.com/pages/atari-lynx-emulation

The "Handy" emulator works really nicely and is super easy to install.  Find the links (lynx?) at that site. 

4 hours ago, Justin said:

Take Photos Of Your Score

For this Squad Challenge, your Score is what counts. Be sure to get a picture of it! You can't always see your score on screen at all times, but there are ways the score is displayed. I've asked @Atari Creep to make a little video demonstrating how this can be accomplished. Taking a picture of your score is something you'll want to be on the ball with.

I will make that video tonight or tomorrow folks but here is the simple of it. 

Your score appears at the start of the next level and there is no true kill screen. HOWEVER, if you fail at a level too many times you will be given the options to skip that level and move on to the next puzzle. That is where you should take your final score from, when it displays on the next level. Honor system: please do not continue and add to your high score from that point. 

Hope this helps and again, I will show what I mean in a video here tonight or tomorrow!

GOOD LUCK

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I got Retroarch working on an Amazon Fire Tablet!

I managed to install the google play store (Don't ask me how, I seriously don't understand it... it involved downloading a bunch of questionable apk files and installing them in a magic order that made them work)

Once that was installed -- Retroarch worked immediately.  There are two Atari Lynx cores, I am not sure what the difference is, but it just seems to work! 

Now I just need to figure out this game 🙂 

IMG_20200917_065538871.jpg.6571e371b6313789b250db546cf1aa3a.jpg

Ok folks here is that "kill screen". And my unofficial first score. I assure you I played from the start and got a little bit into the game because I do not think this works on the earlier levels. Don't quote me. 

19555 emulating because of the screen on my Lynx is hard to capture. 

This is unlisted. Just for you rad kats.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

This time I actually did get the "Looks like you are having trouble" screen.

Playing on my laptop improved my score a lot (The touch screen controls were giving me a lot of problems on the Kindle)

IMG_20200921_181946156.jpg.a1c31f4450b9f19aeef6cbed31a50c25.jpg

If I give this one another go before the end - I am already dreading the castle moat and the conveyer belt levels!

3 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

@RickR Is that a box from Best Electronics?  (The tape!)

I'm going to try to put some time in with Chip's Challenge tonight.  I even picked up some batteries so I'm not tethered to the AC adapter!

Yes it is.  I got my Lynx from Best and just keep it in that cool box in which he shipped it.  

I'm going to give the game a go some time this week.