Squad Challenge - Chip's Challenge (Atari Lynx)

Justin

Some tips needed, please.  I'm kind of stuck on level 10.  That's the one where you simply have to find the exit, with a bunch of fire as obstacles.  It's all memorization/trial & error -- not my strong suits!   After trying about 5 times, I wasn't having fun and stopped.  I like the earlier "puzzle" levels.  Is the game more puzzley or memorization after level 10?

43 minutes ago, RickR said:

Some tips needed, please.  I'm kind of stuck on level 10.  That's the one where you simply have to find the exit, with a bunch of fire as obstacles.  It's all memorization/trial & error -- not my strong suits!   After trying about 5 times, I wasn't having fun and stopped.  I like the earlier "puzzle" levels.  Is the game more puzzley or memorization after level 10?

Hi @RickR, the best tips I could give you for Level 10 would be in my "The Big Tip Off" post here:

I didn't think Level 10 was especially egregious, but it was one of the first levels where I drew a map. Not all levels are like this moving forward but they do change in difficulty and the style of challenge you face. They're all puzzles of some sort. Level 10 "BRUSHFIRE" is far more easily defeated by drawing maps than using memorization:

On 9/15/2020 at 2:20 PM, Justin said:

Draw Maps

Take notes and draw maps of difficult levels. I always did this on graph paper! Some of my fondest memories of these games were staying up late with my friend Jon playing games like Chip's Challenge, and Zillion on Sega Master System, taking notes and mapping everything out on graph paper. I still have some of them!

Here's the path I used for Level 10:

🔽 4

▶️ 4

🔼 4

▶️ 12

🔽 3

◀️ 3

🔼 1

◀️ 7

🔽 8

◀️ 1

🔽 3

▶️ 7

🔼 1

▶️ 11

🔽 10

▶️ 4

🔼 2

◀️ 1

🔼 3

▶️ 1

🔼 2

◀️ 1

🔼 6

▶️ 3

🔽 18

◀️ 5

🔼 2

◀️ 10

🔼 7

▶️ 5

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Everybody!

Congratulations to everybody for making it into the Bit Busters Computer Club! I was delighted to pull out the Lynx and fire up Chip's Challenge again, I hope everyone here had a fun time taking another look at Atari Lynx and exploring the world of Chip's Challenge. I broke into the 300,000 points club to take the top spot on the scoreboard. @MaliciousCarp knocked it out of the park being the only other player to break the 100,000 ceiling with a score of 106,210, taking 2nd Place on the board. @Sabertooth brought his best with a score of 66,050 to take 3rd Place, just edging out @btbfilms76 who showed up with his A-Game at 63,090 points. @Atari Creep @RickR and @Gianna round out the board all with their best scores! Congratulations everyone on joining in this challenge and checking out one hell of a handheld. As I always encourage others to do, I'll be posting my new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

Also, to keep a running list of who's entered into BTB's Atari 7800 Paddle Controllers Giveaway Contest, so far the following Members have asked to be entered and are permanently enrolled through the rest of the contest: @RickR @Sabertooth @nosweargamer @TrekMD @socrates63. If you don't see your name listed and would like to enter to win the pair of 7800 Paddle Controllers, be sure to say "Hey BTB, enter me to win!" when posting your next high score!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be a black box game for the NES! Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_lynx_chips_challenge.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Good job on that high score @Justin.  Does Chip ever get the girl?  Frankly, I think he should take a hint and move on. 

Man, I really want to find out! I don't think I even made it 10% of the way through the game. I'd love to get to the end and see Chip get his girl!

1 hour ago, MaliciousCarp said:

Chip's challenge is definitely a game that I would have overlooked if it were not for the High Score Squad.  It's a solid game, and I will definitely revisit it (although I will probably go with the windows version in the future.)

So glad to hear this!

Stay tuned guys, I'm putting up another Squad Challenge tonight.