The 2020 Retro Game/Junk Box

RickR

21 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Me, too 🙂 The drawings are a very nice touch 👍 🎨 and really make it uniquely yours. I, on the other hand, am not very good about customizing things. Heck, I often don't even customize Windows or MacOS outside of maybe changing the default wallpaper.

I decided to color it in as well. 
52011133-70C0-45DE-8228-05136BE61266.jpeg.194f2d46f3992da5a57c4a93945f7afb.jpeg

I think I might buy a few of these games next time I visit the local store. I might even include one in my upcoming giveaway, though I am not sure about that.

Speaking or visiting the game store, I have been thinking about what present I should get myself. Initially, I had a list of 2600 games I considered getting, but @socrates63 sent me nearly all of them! Missile Command, Popeye, Adventure, Maze Craze; yeah, I had to rethink that one! 
So I think I will get myself a Game Boy/Color/Advance game. I’m not sure yet. Perhaps Superstar Saga or Metroid II if they have it. I also plan on getting a few other things for some other people. The rest of the money, and most of my future earnings, I will save away. I don’t want a repeat of the Pokémon fiasco (read my (Game)Room thread for that) where I blow all my money in one spot.

Eventually, I would like to be able to afford some duplicate games for the 2600 I have been planning to re-gift for quite some time now.

Just some thoughts. I hope you are all are having a wonderful day.

This video shows what I passed on and what I put in. (If you just want to see what I put in, start at the 2:20 mark.)

After I made the video, I also squeezed in a MAD Magazine about election turmoil (I thought it was fitting) and Q*bert for the Atari 8-bits.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

1CCAF5DD-ED55-4601-8E58-7AA7E4C49E30.jpeg.3ac1eb06e968699c6af2f6812c20d427.jpeg

This thing, this is laughably bad. Though I am very happy to own the Coleco 10-in-1 Sports unit, I have to say this is the worst game system I have ever played in my life!

Fortunately, I had a compatible AV cable laying around. This thing has a ridiculously small jack on it. I’m not 100% sure where this cord came from; maybe my old camcorder?

Anyways, the games on this unit are really, REALLY bad. And there’s only ten of them. I have seen cheap handhelds not dissimilar to this one with equally terrible games (like the GoGamer Portable), but at least those had dozens if not hundreds of crappy games on them. And to be honest, many of those cheap bootleg games are of higher quality than the ones on the Coleco unit! Some, not all.

I am honestly surprised that @nosweargamer managed to, well, not swear while reviewing this!

Even though this unit is frankly terrible, I am proud to own this piece of “YouTube History”. Didn’t you say that you got this from @Willie!, NSG? No wonder I am like the 79th owner of this thing.

Either way, this Coleco handheld will look nice on my shelf and has a really cool story behind it. Thank you, @socrates63! You didn’t have to send this. I hope I am not offending anyone by making fun of the poor Coleco, but do know that I am really happy to have this in my collection.

I would have to say the “least bad” of the games is the deep-sea diving one, followed by air hockey.

2 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

This video shows what I passed on and what I put in. (If you just want to see what I put in, start at the 2:20 mark.)

After I made the video, I also squeezed in a MAD Magazine about election turmoil (I thought it was fitting) and Q*bert for the Atari 8-bits.

Who took the Counselor Troi figure and why u no leave it for RickR?  :startrek_spock_beamout:

You put in some really great stuff @nosweargamer.  Thank YOU for giving us a little part of your day. 

17 hours ago, RickR said:

Who took the Counselor Troi figure and why u no leave it for RickR?  :startrek_spock_beamout:

You put in some really great stuff @nosweargamer.  Thank YOU for giving us a little part of your day. 

17 hours ago, socrates63 said:

Still in the packaging untouched Counselor Troi! 😮 

Great job, Rick! This was real fun. Thanks for letting me join. This really gives me a reason to shop for things that I'd otherwise pass up. Looking forward to the next one.

I opened up the RJB while @Atari Creep was here and we discovered Diana was punched BUT the hanging tab was in the box so I un-punched her :)

Diana was a little to chubby to make it back into the RJB

@RickR I would gladly pass Diana on to you in her un-punched condition if she has fellow officers she would like to be with.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:17 PM, HDN said:

I think I might buy a few of these games next time I visit the local store. I might even include one in my upcoming giveaway, though I am not sure about that.

Speaking or visiting the game store, I have been thinking about what present I should get myself. Initially, I had a list of 2600 games I considered getting, but @socrates63 sent me nearly all of them! Missile Command, Popeye, Adventure, Maze Craze; yeah, I had to rethink that one! 
So I think I will get myself a Game Boy/Color/Advance game. I’m not sure yet. Perhaps Superstar Saga or Metroid II if they have it. I also plan on getting a few other things for some other people. The rest of the money, and most of my future earnings, I will save away. I don’t want a repeat of the Pokémon fiasco (read my (Game)Room thread for that) where I blow all my money in one spot.

Eventually, I would like to be able to afford some duplicate games for the 2600 I have been planning to re-gift for quite some time now.

This page may be of interest:  https://stevesretrogaming.com/atari-2600-end-labels/

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

On 11/24/2020 at 11:47 AM, nosweargamer said:

MUSCLES figures! I was a big fan of those as a kid. I rember the 10 packs coming in plastic trash cans, lol.

That is cool! That bowling bag looks like it has an Atari Fuji symbol too. @chas10e, do you know the origins of the bag? Is it a custom deal or some sort of promo item?

FYI I will post a video of what I put in a little later.

I dunno any specifics of the manufacturing design. I think it is basically just a carrying case as many other consoles have. was Wii Sports the pack-in game for the system?

This was the 2'nd one I had purchased while out "thrifting", the first one I gifted to one of my nephews as he is a bowling-nut. When I discovered @RickR was hosting another RJB it was the first thing I thought of to see if it'd fit. 

I didn't know what those muscle guys were but while in my possession before they went back into the box, I did set them up like bowling pins & shot "little-weeji" out of the cannon at them before he went back into the box.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:17 PM, HDN said:

Oh yeah, I wanted to comment on the personalized end label. "Not to shabby !" as others develope and stack up on a shelf it's be nice to see a pic perhaps with it's own thread. I will usually look at the face label for the title of the game but usually pass on buying any carts without the end labels.

There are some carts out there that were factory without end labels (maybe one or two) so I hope your hunt finds those "rares"

Another "trick" if you find a cart of "value" is to bury it in a stack of commons and offer a fair price for the lot (used to be $0.50 a cart then a buck a cart) missing end labels should keep the prices down 😉

44 minutes ago, chas10e said:

Oh yeah, I wanted to comment on the personalized end label. "Not to shabby !" as others develope and stack up on a shelf it's be nice to see a pic perhaps with it's own thread. I will usually look at the face label for the title of the game but usually pass on buying any carts without the end labels.

Thank you for the kind words!

It’s funny you mention this today, as earlier today I doodled a few mock-ups in my notebook for what some other games might look like. I’m no artist, and these were done really quickly and are just in pen. All of these games I have, and they all have end labels already.
If anyone is wondering what’s written on the other side, it’s nothing secret. Just some 2600 games I’m considering buying.

C5B69C46-05FE-43F1-B96C-0F0183739517.jpeg.7b5978140850fc726b8fcdcaf9d2017e.jpeg

I think in the future, I’ll use some nice paper instead of plain old tape and find a way to color it in better!

I dunno if there is any specific sized "Avery labels" I'm sure there are different kinds of tape.

I actually like the el-cheapo masking tape just torn off on each end. it gives it "character"

Speaking of charecters , I like the "Mr. Bill" in Circus Atari

I recall a homebrew/hack of Circus that when the clown misses the tetter-totter & "slaps-out" on the ground he bleeds-out as well.https://atariage.com/forums/topic/207391-circus-atariage-2600/