My last trip to Game Trade for the time being.

HDN

I thought I would post this on my "What game should I get" topic but ultimately decided that it deserved its own topic here in Prick Check.

Game Trade is the name of my local game store I won't shut up about. It's great there. Some people were interested in their 7800 lineup, so I went there to pick up my free game and take some pictures. Ultimately, I decided to buy Crystal Castles, though they did have a marked down copy of DK Junior as well which really tempted me. I decided on CC because Junior has a much better version on the 7800 I would rather get. It's a Tramiel Cheap-O copy. This will be my last game before the Christmas season, though I might trade the Tug of War album code with @RickR for another 2600 game later on.

So, here are the cheaper 7800 games. These go for $10, though there are a few for $5. Those include PPII, Karateka, Hat Trick, Touchdown, and Choplifter to name a few. Apparently, it is rare to find a lot of 7800 titles like this. Below them are some cool Odyssey 2, Intellivision, Colecovision, VIC 20, and I believe TI-99 or some other Texas Instruments computer games. I love this store. I wish I could buy it all!

101_0956.JPG.21b6c75cd76c2f42d1b52e7f450bf843.JPG

Here are some of the pricier 7800 titles hidden inside of this glass cabinet. These are $15 and up. Some interesting 7800 titles I saw were Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong Junior, Motorpsycho, Ace of Aces, Alien Brigade, Ghostbusters, Rampage, Mean 18, and Dark Chambers. Some other goodies include 2600 Miner 2049'er Volume II, Pitfall II, Montezuma's Revenge, and I believe Crazy Climber. Please excuse the glare. I didn't look hard at these before I took the photos as I was in a bit of a rush.

101_0953.JPG.29c7cde802197b8a4ef9c241dd4a13bd.JPG

Please, zoom in and look around! I took some other pictures as well, though the combined file size is too much for one post alone! I thought some of you would like to see what this place has to offer. I will try to post some more pictures of some of the interesting things I saw on this final voyage.

Edited by HDN

Thank you, @nosweargamer. I would have gotten it to had it been a little cheaper. I've caught the Dig Dug bug as of late. Neighbors have COVID-19, so my disease is very preferable to theirs.

I thought I might show all of you this right away in case you are interested. Here's the "console wall". It's about what it sounds like. They get a lot of the obscure systems sometimes as well as the occasional vintage computer. I've seen Coleco Geminis, Atari 7800s box or no box, top-loading NES's, all models of the Genesis, SNES model 2s, Sega CD's, and more. I thought some of you would be interested in the boxed Atari Jaguar system. I don't know how much it was, though since it wasn't in the glass case like some of the rarer systems were I'm guessing around the $200 range, maybe? That seems awfully low for a Jaguar system CIB.

101_0959.JPG.a00ee83e971011a4ae89a8fb2e6a1cb3.JPG

And here is their 2600 selection. Many games without endlabels today. Lots were reduced price because of that. I had to ask them what a few text label Sears Tele-Games cartridges were today. Most are $5, some are $2, some are $10. Decent prices, and sometimes free games if I get my discount like I had today. A few 5200 games there as well. Feel free to browse, but please do mind the glare. They are right by the door and I had to do it at this angle in order to fit them all in.

101_0958.JPG.f6ab18babb556be424013bc9541c6c9f.JPG

WOW!  That store has a huge selection of great games.  I will tell you that most stores here have about 1/10 the 2600 stuff as that.  No 5200 or 7800 games.  And definitely ZERO TI-99 or VIC-20.

And all those boxed consoles!  If I ever make it to my work's mothership location, I'm bringing an extra suitcase to buy some of that good junk. 

1 minute ago, RickR said:

WOW!  That store has a huge selection of great games.  I will tell you that most stores here have about 1/10 the 2600 stuff as that.  No 5200 or 7800 games.  And definitely ZERO TI-99 or VIC-20.

And all those boxed consoles!  If I ever make it to my work's mothership location, I'm bringing an extra suitcase to buy some of that good junk. 

Please do pay them a visit if you are ever in the area! They are in DePere, WI, so it is a bit of a drive from where I live but it is worth it. Plus, we head up to the Green Bay area almost every week for something. Great store run by very friendly people. I think the prices are fair. Maybe a little high in some cases but too low in others. The prices are balanced for the most part. I'm very fortunate to have it near me. 

Here are a few other cool things I noticed today:

These two Sega Nomads, one boxed and one loose, but in this picture the glare is absolutely horrendous. There are a few Power Base Converters below, which I might pick up someday if I ever get a real Genesis. You can also see my hat I wear to hide my hideous homemade haircut and some disc-based games in the background. The CIB nomad is $400. That's why I think the Jag might be cheaper as it isn't in a case like the Nomad and...

101_0954.JPG.e2952dd9868629f3fe30ea47934408db.JPG

Ta-da! The JVC X'Eye! I have never seen this thing in person before. Typically they will wrap home consoles up in little plastic and cardboard boxes, but this one is different. It's just sitting there. Must be a bit pricey. If you don't know what the X'Eye is, it's basically a Genesis and Sega CD combo. Like a Turbo Duo or a Twin Famicom.

101_0955.JPG.cd3904ab5288714c5dcb3becb200cd4b.JPG

They also have a sizable import section filled with Famicom, Super Famicom, and other Japanese games with the occasional PAL game mixed in. Didn't take a picture of the Famicorner.

This is for you, @Willie!. I found two boxed Channel F games for you. Couldn't find any loose and I'm pretty sure there was a third one last time, but here they are. Videocart 12, Baseball, and Videocart 4, Spitfire. #4 is from when it was still called the VES. Behind them you can see the boxed Intellivision games. NBA Basketball, Space Armada, and a whole lotta Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack. Take note, @socrates63. I didn't see SNAFU, but I wasn't really looking. I've said this before, but very often their boxed games are the same price as their loose ones as far as the 2nd generation is concerned. Also on this shelf (but not shown) are the boxed 2600 games, boxed 5200 games, boxed Colecovision games, boxed Odyssey 2 games, and boxed 7800 games. There are varying amounts of each. I saw a lot of boxed Intellivison games (probably kept from the trash for overlay storage by their original owners), but only one boxed 5200 game. Today I did see 2600 Ms. Pac-Man and Frogger sealed. I am not sure if it is the original seal, but since many of the other games don't have it they may be NIB. They are typically a little bit more than their loose and CIB counterparts.

101_0957.JPG.bdae1fbcd17d325777af90249db7ac90.JPG

@RickR I forgot to mention something when I quoted you originally, so I am going to mention it here so not to reach my maximum post limit again:

"WOW!  That store has a huge selection of great games.  I will tell you that most stores here have about 1/10 the 2600 stuff as that.  No 5200 or 7800 games.  And definitely ZERO TI-99 or VIC-20.

And all those boxed consoles!  If I ever make it to my work's mothership location, I'm bringing an extra suitcase to buy some of that good junk."

Yes. Typically what I would do when I wanted a new 2600 game is play a few on my emulator and decide which one to pick up. Sometimes it would be too pricey and I wouldn't buy it, but never finding the game at all was never an issue, at least for Atari systems. Nintendo, on the other hand... heh. I have had to wait quite a while before I saw certain Nintendo games I was looking for. I don't mind the wait really, but with Atari stuff, especially 2600, it was always there.

There was one time where there wasn't a game I was looking for. When I got Tunnel Runner (you can't get on the list for games on Atari systems as they're all listed as miscellaneous in their system so I had to call in and check constantly for that one), I had a discount ready and I was looking for Sky Diver. I couldn't find it that day, but I did find Miniature Golf, which I did not expect to find. When I went back again today there were no less than eight copies of Sky Diver. Plus Sky Skipper.

I guess it just never really crossed my mind that other stores weren't like this.

I had an idea, though. It's a long shot and I would have to okay it with my parents first, but I was thinking perhaps there was a game someone couldn't find I could pick it up for them and mail it to them. For instance, I know Young has been looking for a few 7800 games recently at some of his local places. If say, I had seen one of those games at this Game Trade place and he wanted to buy it, we could work something out. It would work in reverse as well. Say The No Swear Gamer saw a copy of Tengen Tetris for NES while browsing his local game store that Rick had been on the lookout for (just an example), @nosweargamer could buy it for Rick and Rick could pay him back + shipping costs. We could essentially create a network of local game stores. We all live in different places with different games nearby that other members of the I/O might be on the lookout for. Just a thought.

Edited by HDN

1 minute ago, socrates63 said:

Wow, this store is amazing. Like Rick, stores in the Seattle area have maybe 1/10 of the console gen 1, 2, 3 stuff shown in this store. I may have to given them a call to check prices on some 7800 games and see if they'll ship. I spied Moto Psycho.

I don't think they would ship to the Seattle area. I don't think. But yeah, I can ask them. 

Also, Young, read the Fairchild Channel F post again. I edited it because I had an idea that might help you with your Motorpsycho problem.

10 hours ago, HDN said:

This is for you, @Willie!. I found two boxed Channel F games for you. Couldn't find any loose and I'm pretty sure there was a third one last time, but here they are. Videocart 12, Baseball, and Videocart 4, Spitfire. #4 is from when it was still called the VES. Behind them you can see the boxed Intellivision games. NBA Basketball, Space Armada, and a whole lotta Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack. Take note, @socrates63. I didn't see SNAFU, but I wasn't really looking. I've said this before, but very often their boxed games are the same price as their loose ones as far as the 2nd generation is concerned. Also on this shelf (but not shown) are the boxed 2600 games, boxed 5200 games, boxed Colecovision games, boxed Odyssey 2 games, and boxed 7800 games. There are varying amounts of each. I saw a lot of boxed Intellivison games (probably kept from the trash for overlay storage by their original owners), but only one boxed 5200 game. Today I did see 2600 Ms. Pac-Man and Frogger sealed. I am not sure if it is the original seal, but since many of the other games don't have it they may be NIB. They are typically a little bit more than their loose and CIB counterparts.

101_0957.JPG.bdae1fbcd17d325777af90249db7ac90.JPG

@RickR I forgot to mention something when I quoted you originally, so I am going to mention it here so not to reach my maximum post limit again:

"WOW!  That store has a huge selection of great games.  I will tell you that most stores here have about 1/10 the 2600 stuff as that.  No 5200 or 7800 games.  And definitely ZERO TI-99 or VIC-20.

And all those boxed consoles!  If I ever make it to my work's mothership location, I'm bringing an extra suitcase to buy some of that good junk."

Yes. Typically what I would do when I wanted a new 2600 game is play a few on my emulator and decide which one to pick up. Sometimes it would be too pricey and I wouldn't buy it, but never finding the game at all was never an issue, at least for Atari systems. Nintendo, on the other hand... heh. I have had to wait quite a while before I saw certain Nintendo games I was looking for. I don't mind the wait really, but with Atari stuff, especially 2600, it was always there.

There was one time where there wasn't a game I was looking for. When I got Tunnel Runner (you can't get on the list for games on Atari systems as they're all listed as miscellaneous in their system so I had to call in and check constantly for that one), I had a discount ready and I was looking for Sky Diver. I couldn't find it that day, but I did find Miniature Golf, which I did not expect to find. When I went back again today there were no less than eight copies of Sky Diver. Plus Sky Skipper.

I guess it just never really crossed my mind that other stores weren't like this.

I had an idea, though. It's a long shot and I would have to okay it with my parents first, but I was thinking perhaps there was a game someone couldn't find I could pick it up for them and mail it to them. For instance, I know Young has been looking for a few 7800 games recently at some of his local places. If say, I had seen one of those games at this Game Trade place and he wanted to buy it, we could work something out. It would work in reverse as well. Say The No Swear Gamer saw a copy of Tengen Tetris for NES while browsing his local game store that Rick had been on the lookout for (just an example), @nosweargamer could buy it for Rick and Rick could pay him back + shipping costs. We could essentially create a network of local game stores. We all live in different places with different games nearby that other members of the I/O might be on the lookout for. Just a thought.

Coolio!  Boxes dont look bad at all.   I had a complete set years ago I sold off, I know have the mulitcart and pac man 🙂    My favorite games on the system is Spitfire, Pinball Challenge, Alien Invasion, Pac Man (homebrew), Drag Race, Video Whizball, Torpedo alley, Sonar Search, Bowling, lunar lander

My Youtube Channel Arcade USA! - https://www.youtube.com/user/SVT512

6 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

How much do they want for an Omega Race and do they have Tunnel Runner?

Tunnel Runner was $20 and I didn't see it there, but I wasn't really looking. There's another shelf in the glass case of 2600 games that I didn't take a picture of.

I think Omega Race loose is $5 as it doesn't have that other button thing.

I can call them and ask for you if you want.

Edited by HDN

39 minutes ago, RickR said:

It's real nice of you, but don't get into trouble or take any risk of trouble for this. We all have other sources for games. 

I doubt I would get into trouble if I asked before making anything official. It doesn't hurt to ask. But I can still answer questions if anyone has them. Personally, I'm wondering what that Jag costs. I somehow didn't notice it when I was there.

But that's cool, no worries. Saves me some time (and temptation).

11 hours ago, HDN said:

I can call them and ask for you if you want.

That's alright.  I was just curious.  And what other button thing does Omega Race need?  Also...I wonder if in those loose 5200 games if something is there I don't have?  Curious.  

See...the area I live has nothing like this.  So...when I see these pics I'm like a kid in a candy store.  LOL.  Don't mind me.

5 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

That's alright.  I was just curious.  And what other button thing does Omega Race need?

This thing. It's called the Booster Grip. It goes over the joystick, like Atari clothes. Apparently the game needs both a thrust and shoot button. Makes it impossible in my current emulator. I don't know why they couldn't just do it like Atari did in Asteroids. To quote AVGN, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? It also makes the game unplayable if you buy it loose.

image.jpeg.b3a98ec72ebb1f396e7f9993f5853c27.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Also...I wonder if in those loose 5200 games if something is there I don't have?  Curious.  

What games are you looking for? Just a bit curious as well. The 5200 is a fascinating system and I think its crazy cool how someone like you enjoys this widely-hated system so much. Mark my words: I will get a 5200 someday. 

11 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

See...the area I live has nothing like this.  So...when I see these pics I'm like a kid in a candy store.  LOL.  Don't mind me.

Same here. Saaaaaame here. It's completely a kid in a candy store thing for me. Except it's long-lasting candy that you can save for generations and have loads of fun with.

44 minutes ago, HDN said:

This thing. It's called the Booster Grip. It goes over the joystick, like Atari clothes. Apparently the game needs both a thrust and shoot button. Makes it impossible in my current emulator. I don't know why they couldn't just do it like Atari did in Asteroids. To quote AVGN, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? It also makes the game unplayable if you buy it loose.

You got it right.  Normal joystick button is thrust, and the booster grip has a button for fire.  I have it, and it's really not good.  Too cumbersome.

The VIC-20 has an outstanding version of Omega Race that uses the 2600 Asteroids control scheme.  It works perfectly.  I think that version also lets you use paddles (I don't remember how it works) or keyboard. 

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but Atari should have made a whole series of games to tie together the classics, all featuring the little triangle ship and that control scheme.  Example:  Missile Command is that other planet attacking yours.  So your government decides to strike back and launches the little triangle ship.  To get to the other planet, it has to clear out the Asteroids (tie in to Asteroids) so your other ships can get through.  Then a new triangle ship game that attacks the other planet, and so on. 

2 hours ago, HDN said:

What games are you looking for? Just a bit curious as well. The 5200 is a fascinating system and I think its crazy cool how someone like you enjoys this widely-hated system so much. Mark my words: I will get a 5200 someday. 

Let 'em hate.  That just leaves more 5200 stuff for me 😁 I love everything about the system...including the pack-in game.  That was the best first hours I spent on the 5200 that Christmas morning.

Specifically any third party games from Activision, CBS, I magic (if any), Sega, or PB.  Looking for Gyruss, Mountain King, and I have no Activision games for my 5200.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:17 AM, Willie! said:

Coolio!  Boxes dont look bad at all.   I had a complete set years ago I sold off, I know have the mulitcart and pac man 🙂    My favorite games on the system is Spitfire, Pinball Challenge, Alien Invasion, Pac Man (homebrew), Drag Race, Video Whizball, Torpedo alley, Sonar Search, Bowling, lunar lander

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. You had a complete set? Even Video Whizzball? Even Checkers?!?!

Wow, that's pretty cool. A complete Fairchild set must have cost you quite a bit to build up in the first place. How did you get those games, especially Checkers? Were they from your childhood? If so, that's pretty sweet. Recently I found out that a few of my childhood favorites on the SNES, like SOS, were a bit on the rarer and pricier side as well. But nowhere near what Videocart 19 goes for! I'm really quite curious on how you acquired these.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:06 AM, HDN said:

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. You had a complete set? Even Video Whizzball? Even Checkers?!?!

Wow, that's pretty cool. A complete Fairchild set must have cost you quite a bit to build up in the first place. How did you get those games, especially Checkers? Were they from your childhood? If so, that's pretty sweet. Recently I found out that a few of my childhood favorites on the SNES, like SOS, were a bit on the rarer and pricier side as well. But nowhere near what Videocart 19 goes for! I'm really quite curious on how you acquired these.

Yep, I also had both demo carts as well.   All the games were purchased new when they originally came out.  anytime I would see the big brown UPS truck pull in our drvieway, I would get excited as it could be another new game my dad ordered 😛  My father worked at a place where he was the certified repair tech for the Channel F.  Had lots of test equipment, parts, etc....

Unfortunately I went through the "madness" and sold it all off in the early 2000's 😞  But at least I have a Channel F II and the multicart now :).  

My Youtube Channel Arcade USA! - https://www.youtube.com/user/SVT512

That store does look amazing! And unless I'm seeing it wrong...is that what I think it is to the left of the Strategy X cart in the second pic?

Looks like a Crazy Climber to me? I see several very decent and not very common games in that case. Although they might want to rethink how rare they think Mario Bros for the Atari is if they have 3 of them stacked up at once in there.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

6 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

Although they might want to rethink how rare they think Mario Bros for the Atari is if they have 3 of them stacked up at once in there.

I feel the same way. I count seven, actually, but there was only one for the 7800. I really want the 7800 version, as I'm a big fan of the NES game. I don't have the physical cartridge for NES either, so I would rather get the 7800 version because it's so fascinating to me. Nintendo on 2600? Big deal. But Nintendo on the 7800 while the NES was out? That's crazy! Of the Nintendo games on 7800, that's my favorite (not that I have played the 7800 versions, but I have played the NES ports). That and BallBlazer are on the top of my Xmas list.

11 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

That store does look amazing! And unless I'm seeing it wrong...is that what I think it is to the left of the Strategy X cart in the second pic?

Looks like a Crazy Climber to me? I see several very decent and not very common games in that case.

I'm pretty sure it is. Sure looks like it. There are some pretty uncommon games in there; Motor Psycho, Alien Brigade, Mean 18, BallBlazer... They even have Miner 2049'er Volume II in there. I hope to build up a sizable Atari 7800 collection someday with their help.