Broken Atari Lynx

James Campbell Jr.

Looking for someome to fix my model 2 Lynx. One of the A buttons is electronically stuck ( I don't know which one) I can only play Qix on it. I ordered Kung Food and Paperboy for it, and I would like to be able to play them on it. I am willing to pay fair price via Pay Pal. Message me, and make me an offer. Please help me save my Lynx! If you have a YouTube channel feel free to make a video doing it if you want!

20200927_232407.jpg

A very similar thing happened to my Atari 7800 ProLine controller shortly after I got it. The physical button wasn't stuck, but it was making an electrical connection and wouldn't stop accelerating in Pole Position II (which was the only 7800 game I had at the time). I took it apart and cleaned the connector and put the metal connector thing back into place with scotch tape. Those ProLines can be very stubborn when you are trying to put them back together.

Though you might want to consider getting someone to fix it instead of taking it apart yourself. There's a lot more that can go wrong taking apart a handheld system than a controller, and they're less replaceable. Though you could probably fix it yourself, I wouldn't risk it. I messed up my Tetris Nano LCD game taking it apart and trying to fix a similar issue.

I hope your Lynx gets better soon!

The Lynx II uses a similar flex circuit design like the 5200 controllers. The actual buttons however, are just your usual rubber carbon/graphite pads that make contact on a set of carbon traces on the flex circuit. My guess is that either the rubber button itself has possibly developed a tear in it causing it to no longer pop up on its own, or there is some odd short in the flex itself. If the flex is to blame, then honestly it is best to replace it and Best-Electronics still has those available by themselves (Or did last time I ordered up a few). It isn't difficult to replace out but do watch a vid on the tube somewhere on how to disassemble the Lynx II before hand so you know how do go about it.

Be careful trying to clean the flex as again they are graphite coated very thin aluminium traces and it is easy to damage them in the process.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections