Jump to content

Wizard of Wor - How IS the 5200 version?


MaximumRD
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just random thoughts upon seeing the recent and improved Homebrew version of Wizard of Wor Arcade for the 2600 on atariage store which looks absolutely amazing I began thinking about this title. I don't think I ever encountered it in the arcade bitd and if I did no doubt I passed it over to play other games. Now, these days I am not really in a position to pick up the great looking 2600 homebrew version and I thought well at least I could load up my harmony cart and try the old original 2600 release rom and I still plan to dig it out and do just that, I figured this was my only shot of playing Wizard of Wor since I don't own any other version or have an original cart. BUT THEN what do you know? The other day as I was literally digging through my boxes I happened upon al my 5200 stuff, one of the few systems I still have a few original carts for and lo and behold HERE IT IS! I have an original cart for the 5200! Cool! I do NOT have the original instructions or an overlay as I do for several other of my loose games (though I also have MOUNTAIN KING with both the instructions and overlay!) but still at least it's something, I look forward to trying it out, not expecting it to be as good as the new 2600 homebrew but was wondering, it might be a while until I actually have the time to hook up the old 5200 beast but for those who might know, how does the 5200 stack up? I mean at least in comparison to all the original homeports? Is it worthwhile? Anyone a fan of this game? Here is my cart - 🤘😎

 

IMG_0292 (Medium).JPG

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried playing the rom on my AtariMax cartridge and my guy was basically stuck in the corner -- I couldn't control him. Maybe I have a bad rom? In any case, I bought the 5200 WoR cartridge and it's on its way.

I played it back in the day. It didn't wow me as a kid. I found the graphics a bit clunky and odd the way the character flips 90 degrees. That was my impression as a kid.

Edit: I'd write a little more but I have a meeting to run to 🙂

Edited by socrates63
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the cart, and here's what I think:  It's good.  The graphics could be better, but the gameplay is all there.  The problem is the controls.  The 5200 controller just doesn't work for this type of game.  I have a digital stick, and it works 100 times better.  If you have one, use it!

It's the same game on the 8-bit computers.  But the controls there are perfect.

In summary:  It's worth it.  It's one of the better WoW ports. 

When you try it, fire up MAME on your PC and give the arcade original a try.  It has speech, which makes it better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

I tried playing the rom on my AtariMax cartridge and my guy was basically stuck in the corner -- I couldn't control him. Maybe I have a bad rom? In any case, I bought the 5200 WoR cartridge and it's on its way.

I played it back in the day. It didn't wow me as a kid. I found the graphics a bit clunky and odd the way the character flips 90 degrees. That was my impression as a kid.

Edit: I'd write a little more but I have a meeting to run to 🙂

I know on the 2600 version you use the second player controller on the right to control the dude in a single player game. Maybe it's the same on the 5200.

I haven't played the 5200 version, but I do enjoy the 2600 version, though it's very flickery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HDN said:

I know on the 2600 version you use the second player controller on the right to control the dude in a single player game. Maybe it's the same on the 5200.

I haven't played the 5200 version, but I do enjoy the 2600 version, though it's very flickery.

That may be the case.  I don't recall for sure.  I know that the one player game uses the "right" player on the screen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RickR said:

That may be the case.  I don't recall for sure.  I know that the one player game uses the "right" player on the screen. 

This is 100% accurate. You have to plug a controller into port 2 for a 1 player game. This is mimicking the original arcade where player 1 was on the right and player 2 on the left. So yeap..plug a controller into port 2 and you will find you can start the game and play that way.

If you must plug a controller into port 1 to play this game, then you have to select a 2 player game so you can play as the blue/purple guy instead of the yellow.

 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that it's an interesting cart design.  I like the little indentations that make it easy to pull the cart out. 

You'll like them both I'm sure.  Of the two, Mountain King is more unique.  But they are both fun.  Like I said, the 5200 controller makes WoW more difficult when the levels start getting really fast. 

I really need to get my 5200 out.  I still have a brand new "Tempest" to try!  But space is limited with both adult children home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those really are cool carts. The 2600 carts are the same as Activision ones but have the same tan color. 

You will enjoy Wizard of Wor, unless the 5200 version is really that bad in comparison to the VCS take. Mountain King (on 2600 at least) is good to, albeit frustrating to the nth degree. CBS made some very good games back in the day, including, well, you know. I do wish that they did port that game to other systems. You know what I'm talking about...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RickR said:

I agree that it's an interesting cart design.  I like the little indentations that make it easy to pull the cart out. 

You'll like them both I'm sure.  Of the two, Mountain King is more unique.  But they are both fun.  Like I said, the 5200 controller makes WoW more difficult when the levels start getting really fast. 

I really need to get my 5200 out.  I still have a brand new "Tempest" to try!  But space is limited with both adult children home. 

YES lack of space is my issue as well and that wont change as we own a 1 bedroom condo and not looking to EVER owe for a place again so even in best case scenario it's out of here and hopefully not for a long time into retirement home which will be more major downsizing 😜obviously very little to nothing of my collection will be going there. 😥So my point being 99% of my collection is stored until I get the itch to try something specific. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know, with my mom in a nursing home, I think about that a lot too.  It's kind of interesting to see the stuff the other residents have as well.  Many have way too much stuff and their rooms look ridiculously cramped! 

My best estimation is that there should be room for a computer, a TV, and 3-4 consoles w/ games.  I figure you go minimalist on the furniture.  Get a nice bed, a nice comfy chair and a desk.  BOOM, that's all you need. 

Actually, I've probably given this too much thought :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've suddenly been thinking about retirement quite a bit the last couple of weeks. Not thinking so far out that I'm contemplating what to do in a nursing home 🙂 but just the next phase when I cross the 60th birthday threshold. Still nearly ten years out as my wife likes to remind me, but it's been fun thinking about stuff.

I absolutely love the minimalist style on paper, but looking at the way I've lived my life so far, I seem to like having a lot of stuff around me (or clutter if you ask my wife). My wife and I want to do the truck camper RV thing in about ten years and travel North America, so I will be put to the test on the minimalist lifestyle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Retirement is next on my list too, god willing.  The issue to solve is the health-insurance dilemma.  How to pay for it before Medicare kicks in.  I'll let you know if I come up with anything clever. 

I'd love to do the traveling thing too...but not in an RV.  Maybe just book interesting hotels along the way. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CrossBow said:

This is 100% accurate. You have to plug a controller into port 2 for a 1 player game. This is mimicking the original arcade where player 1 was on the right and player 2 on the left. So yeap..plug a controller into port 2 and you will find you can start the game and play that way.

If you must plug a controller into port 1 to play this game, then you have to select a 2 player game so you can play as the blue/purple guy instead of the yellow.

Yes! That did the trick.

The game plays very well, looks and sound good, too. I only got to the third dungeon, but man, I haven't played WoR since the early 80s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

Retirement is next on my list too, god willing.  The issue to solve is the health-insurance dilemma.  How to pay for it before Medicare kicks in.  I'll let you know if I come up with anything clever. 

I'd love to do the traveling thing too...but not in an RV.  Maybe just book interesting hotels along the way. 

Yeah, it's figuring out those years leading up to Medicare coverage that's the problem. I tossed an idea to my wife since she's four years younger than me -- she can support us with healthcare and income and I can start chillin' from 61 onward. She didn't like it, and I had even offered to work part-time 🙂 But seriously, one scenario I have is working remotely while living in an RV. I'm hoping that remote working with be more commonplace, and maybe I can get a full or part-time gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, that's my plan too (the part about wife working while I chillax).  My wife says go for it, but that our lifestyle has to be toned way down.  My financial planner did a facepalm.  So I guess there's a microscopic chance. 

I don't know about you, but I feel like I've been carrying a heavy load for decades. 

For now, we count our blessings and keep on the path. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HDN said:

...simple games...

For me, this has been key to my enjoyment of the games from the 80s. Not only are they fun, they are easy to learn and easy to jump in/out and pick up again.

I'll have to noodle on this a bit more, but I'm not sure that if I'll go back to modern games as my main gaming go-to. I haven't played any for the past several months. If nothing else, I may put the games in boxes or totes and make more shelf room for stuff that I actually play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

For me, this has been key to my enjoyment of the games from the 80s. Not only are they fun, they are easy to learn and easy to jump in/out and pick up again.

I'll have to noodle on this a bit more, but I'm not sure that if I'll go back to modern games as my main gaming go-to. I haven't played any for the past several months. If nothing else, I may put the games in boxes or totes and make more shelf room for stuff that I actually play.

Both are fun in my opinion but for different reasons. I don't play any modern games besides Nintendo (mostly their own IP's), so no CoD or Halo or GTA or anything here.

My sister really hates Atari 2600 games because of their simplicity. Like you said, Young, I think that simplicity works to their benefit. Having to go for a high score is fun. Plus, they make great multiplayer games that you can play with anyone, not just people used to modern gaming. I can play them with my grandfather or mom or anyone. People who aren't gamers can still have fun with old arcade-style games. You can't really play the modern stuff with them and have as fun an experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you just hit on the huge appeal of the Nintendo Wii.  I remember the kids playing Wii Sports with grandma when she would visit, and everyone had fun with it.  As a matter of fact, the nursing home my mom lives in has Wii bowling tournaments still! 

Ain't nobody doing any of that with a PS4. 

I don't play many modern games because of the time commitment needed.  It just doesn't happen.  It all stopped for me in the PS3 era.  In many ways, it's sad.  But my hope is that if I ever get more time to play, this will change. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me, too, Rick -- Xbox360 and PS3 were the last consoles that I actively played, but even then, it was limited to a few series (Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, Resistance). Game wise, I've only logged about an hour on the PS4 playing a couple of PS4 games (Ratchet game and some indie game). On the Xbox One, 99% of my time has been spent playing Halo Reach, a 360 game, and I finished Black (OG Xbox game) and Halo 4 (360 game) on the Xbox One. I still haven't played Halo 5 and I consider myself a Halo fan 😞 PS4 and Xbox One have mostly been acting as streaming devices. There definitely are games that I'd like to play on them, so some day... 🙂

That's cool that the nursing home still has Wii bowling tournaments. I'd love to attend one and see folks having fun with it. Wii Sports was awesome. Even my non-gamer wife joined the fun, and the entire family played together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

On the Xbox One, 99% of my time has been spent playing Halo Reach, a 360 game, and I finished Black (OG Xbox game) and Halo 4 (360 game) on the Xbox One. I still haven't played Halo 5 and I consider myself a Halo fan

I have Halo: Combat Evolved on the OG XBOX. I could never get into it. Partially because I'm not a big fan of FPS's (sadly why I can't get into Metroid Prime) and partially because the disc keeps skipping. I haven't played much of the XBOX excepting retro game compilations.

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

PS4 and Xbox One have mostly been acting as streaming devices.

Welcome to the Wii U circa 2017.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Odd that the conversation of modern gaming vs retro and the appeal and changes for us over the years. I do have a PS4 Pro but most of the games I've purchased for it are either remakes of games I had on the PS3 or LRG releases of the Indie titles. The last modern game I really put a lot of time into was Horizon Zero Dawn as I just couldn't stop playing that game. But then BOTW on my Wii-U just doesn't seem to keep me as engaged as Horizon did. I have a pretty decent PC for gaming these days, but most of the games I play on it are modded versions of DOOM or Quake and just recently started playing Doom64 that was released to the PC with enhanced visuals. 

However, when it comes to HALO I do like the series. I was pretty jazzed when the Master Chief Collection was released for PC back in March for such a low price. Some of the games in that collection I'd never actually played yet so it has been fun to fire them up and visit the remasters of the classic games and play the newer ones I hadn't yet. But I only like single player FPS games. Borderlands and HALO might be the only modern FPS series I've played.

I do own and have played Doom 2016 on my PS4, but it was just kinda 'meh' for me and I didn't go out and purchase Doom Eternal. Will I? No idea...maybe if I see it in the future on Steam for uber cheap I'll likely grab it.

But no..most of my game playing these days is retro games on my retro consoles and the newer home brew releases for our beloved classics are really both impressive technically and a lot of FUN as well! And that in the end...is all we want. To escape for a bit from reality for a bit of engaging fun. Welcome to your 'Ivory Tower'!

 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Join the Atari Party! :donkey_kong_big:

    How lucky are you that you've finally found this place?
    It's time to join the best kept secret in classic gaming.
    Membership is limited, so let's get started! :wreck-it-ralph:

     

×
×
  • Create New...