Justin

Squad Challenge - Wrecking Crew (NES)

I got a thing called the "Golden Hammer!" It is easier to swing so you move a lot more quickly. I think you get to keep it until you die. Picked it up on Phase 6 and kept it until Spike f****d me on Phase 9. Pretty cool hidden item. Not sure how I got it though.

Also, @RadioPoultry I practiced Phase 18 and got through it with your approach! It is all about timing that bomb. Thanks again! 

@Justin, you wanted opinions of this game:  I think it's very similar to our last challenge game "Chip's Challenge".  Each level is a puzzle that's fun to figure out. 

Chip has the advantage of giving out codes so you don't have to start over every time.  Crew has the advantage of being more forgiving and have more compact levels. 

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Hard drive failures SUCK!  But that SSD and RAM upgrade is going to make the computer lightning fast. 

Yes! 🙌 Looking forward you getting back to normal tonight.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:28 PM, RickR said:

@Justin, you wanted opinions of this game:  I think it's very similar to our last challenge game "Chip's Challenge".  Each level is a puzzle that's fun to figure out. 

Chip has the advantage of giving out codes so you don't have to start over every time.  Crew has the advantage of being more forgiving and have more compact levels. 

@RickR I completely agree! I didn’t know this going into choosing our game lineup for High Score Squad. I always saw this as a Mario-style game, and it always felt off I think because there’s no jump and no power ups. I thought it was just smashing things. :wreck-it-ralph: Now that I’ve had a chance to play this with new eyes I see there’s a top-down strategy that makes this a Donkey Kong-style puzzle game! Now that I see this game differently I think it’s very fun and very challenging and a real overlooked gem of the early black box NES games, and that is exactly what I was hoping to find after going though this experience. I’m glad you’re all enjoying this game too, I thought it might be a disappointment. 

12 minutes ago, RickR said:

No disappointment here.  The only complaint I have is that I don't quite understand some of the rules.  Example:  WTF are the doors for? 

Hit the doors with your hammer and enemies will walk inside. They will go to the background and not be able to hurt you, Super Mario Brothers 3 style.

6 hours ago, RickR said:

No disappointment here.  The only complaint I have is that I don't quite understand some of the rules.  Example:  WTF are the doors for? 

I just figured that out yesterday! Hit the door with the hammer and they open for a few seconds. The bad guys chasing you will get sucked into the door and you’ll see their silhouettes stuck “behind the scenes”. This gives you a little time to get some wrecking work done without getting killed.

14 hours ago, Justin said:

I just figured that out yesterday! Hit the door with the hammer and they open for a few seconds. The bad guys chasing you will get sucked into the door and you’ll see their silhouettes stuck “behind the scenes”. This gives you a little time to get some wrecking work done without getting killed.

Does it work on Spike as well?  Because that SOB is a menace!  :wreck-it-ralph:

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Sabertooth!

Congratulations to @Sabertooth for becoming our Wrecking Crew Champion! I hope everyone here had a great time discovering Wrecking Crew on NES and how to win at this game. I've been curious about Wrecking Crew for years, but never understood the game until now. It just felt like a smash-em-up game of destruction. No jump, no Princess, no Donkey Kong, why are we even here? Turns out it's an amazing puzzle-platformer with some charm. I played halfway through this challenge before I even figured out how the doors worked! I'm glad this game turned out to be a hit. We had another huge turnout for this Challenge, you guys have been showing up lately and it's been a lot of fun to play with all of you here!

@Sabertooth is our champion this challenge, taking the top spot on the scoreboard at 1st Place with 167,300 points. @RickR brought his A-Game and wasn't far behind to claim 2nd Place on the scoreboard with 152,300 Points. @btbfilms76 took a deep dive into Wrecking Crew scoring an impressive 141,600 points to take 3rd Place. @Dinobot711 @RadioPoultry @HDN @nosweargamer @Justin @James Campbell Jr. @MaliciousCarp @Atari Creep @TrekMD @Atari 5200 Guy @LinkYoungPS and @Gianna round out the board all with their best scores! Congratulations to @Sabertooth for his big win, and as always I'd like to encourage Sabertooth to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

Also, to keep a running list of who's entered into BTB's Atari 7800 Paddle Controllers Giveaway Contest, so far the following Members have asked to be entered and are permanently enrolled through the rest of the contest: @RickR @Sabertooth @nosweargamer @TrekMD @socrates63. If you don't see your name listed and would like to enter to win the pair of 7800 Paddle Controllers, be sure to say "Hey BTB, enter me to win!" when posting your next high score!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for the Atari 2600! Be there!

large.final_standings_nes_wrecking_crew.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif