Squad Challenge - Demon Attack (Atari 2600)

Justin

@socrates63 - GCC (General Computer Corporation) were the MIT geniuses behind Ms. Pac-Man. Atari famously sued them for their Missile Command upgrade kit but in a stroke of brilliance, settled with GCC and co-opted them - putting them under contract for Atari. They made some of the best games on the 2600 - all published by Atari. They also designed the 7800, and the 1984 launch titles and the arcade game Food Fight. 

Edited by Sabertooth

I think that'll be it for tonight as I'm heading out with my wife to celebrate the twentieth anniversary of her delivering boy number 1 and me feeling pretty useless and nervous. The said boy is going out with his friends tonight for a semi-surprise birthday party/dinner/gathering.

EDIT: I noticed that the rom I used to post my first score had a different typeface from the screen shots posted by others. This one was shot using the actual cartridge. I think I'll try the rom that Justin posted next.

DemonAttack-22030-20201016.thumb.JPG.878216c61275485f6488d0c3f99820c9.JPG

Edited by socrates63

22 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

EDIT: I noticed that the rom I used to post my first score had a different typeface from the screen shots posted by others. This one was shot using the actual cartridge. I think I'll try the rom that Justin posted next.

Don't worry. You were just playing the Activision version. Once Imagic went under, Activision bought out their catalog. They probably changed the font on the score to better match the rest of their 2600 games.

2 hours ago, HDN said:

@Atari Creep I laughed out loud HARD when I heard "that MF has to die!" Absolutely zero offense taken, man. Plus, it's OK if you want to mention me by HDN on your channel. It's three letters, not like it's my full name and social security number.

So glad you did not take offense, Its just my Boston personality, nothing is meany by it aside from just having some fun brother. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

I think the cartridge is the official version.  As long as we all choose left difficulty "A", it should be fine.  

Edited by RickR

About a 1% improvement 🙄 but improvement nonetheless so I'll take it 🙃

My main strategies after the initial few waves are:

• Target the two demons that are not firing on your cannon. Avoid the demon firing on you and go for the other two demons. You gain no additional points for eliminating the demon attacking your cannon, so don't take on unnecessary risk. Survive, baby!
  • Split the demon firing on you in half to reduce the width or spread of the barrage and then focus on shooting down the other demons as much as possible. 
  • Shoot down the diving kamikaze-style demons as they are worth more points. Don't let them get away.

DemonAttack-22305-20201017.JPG.6e3dab6f6d5bfe1f9c4e0561ad89927c.JPG

16 hours ago, Dinobot711 said:

4995 - First score so far. Playing on a 2600 with a genesis controller. 

First time playing Demon Attack on the 2600. Picked up a copy at a local game store today after seeing the next challenge. Always wanted to check it out since I really like the Intellivision version.

The fact that you found a local game store that happened to have a copy in stock means that you have already won! 🙂 

I played Demon Attack once or twice a few months ago and liked it. I'm glad this squad challenge is giving me reason to play it everyday. I started out using the Starplex controller thinking that pressing buttons might help me react faster, but the arcade joystick (the buttons are lit) is working out great and that's what I've been using the last couple of days.

DemonAttack-24585-20201017.thumb.JPG.bc3e355922550d18be74a2678912c7f6.JPG

DSC07236.JPG.4435dfb23857ef290b2c0a300a2e9b61.JPG

Edited by socrates63

5150 Only posting this score because of the coolness of the number and its relevance to current events.

RIP EVH

Tip, avoid emulation with this one. For some reason my left/right movement kept locking up. Usually when another object was close to your gun thing.

20201018_102426.jpg.9bfdf9cb6f0ac05bde6c7e7014e43b83.jpg

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Well, it took a lot more work than anticipated to get it working, my Mic was muted for the first 3 minutes on accident and I didn't better my score, but I did do a live stream last night and mentioned the site a bunch.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube