Squad Challenge - Demon Attack (Atari 2600)

Justin

8 hours ago, HDN said:

@MaliciousCarp you should mod the cartridge slot to make it easier to fit games in. You have to crack the ring around the cartridge slot or something. Maybe make a video on it.

I honestly don't want to go that route because I am a little scared of the 7800 cartridges not lining up as well or having loose connections.  Maybe a good way to go would be to make a huge cartridge slot and then print a few different cartridge adapters for each style of cartridge... October and November are usually mega-busy for me so I probably won't get to it any time soon, but that might be a good winter project.    

I do have demon attack on my Harmony cart as well -- now that I know how the game looks and feels on the original cart I can play on that knowing that I Have the correct ROM installed.

2 hours ago, MaliciousCarp said:

I honestly don't want to go that route because I am a little scared of the 7800 cartridges not lining up as well or having loose connections.  Maybe a good way to go would be to make a huge cartridge slot and then print a few different cartridge adapters for each style of cartridge... October and November are usually mega-busy for me so I probably won't get to it any time soon, but that might be a good winter project.    

I do have demon attack on my Harmony cart as well -- now that I know how the game looks and feels on the original cart I can play on that knowing that I Have the correct ROM installed.

MC, if you want to play third-party 2600 cartridges on the 7800 and don't want to mess with the 7800 hardware, you gotta get the Lock-on 2600. I had tight fit issues with 2600 Activision cartridges on my 7800, and there was no way Demon Attack would fit. But this little adapter makes it buttery nice and smooth.

DSC07215.JPG.5be2fc5407ce729f209435fb63093fb3.JPG

4 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Every time I crop and edit the photo, I love the scan lines and the glow. Looks very clean on the actual TV but in the photos, the bright parts are fuzzy and glowy and makes me feel warm inside.

My two CRTs I'm using are very fuzzy and glowy, especially the one downstairs! I have a suggestion for you, @socrates63. Play some Atari 2600 in the dark! Nothing beats playing those games in the dark, especially the flashy and epileptic ones! Haunted House, Yar's Revenge, and Worm War I are three examples of games that will light up a dark room with lots of flashing colors! Unless you suffer from epilepsy, I recommend giving those games a try in the dark. Either way, the tamer ones still look fantastic in the dark!

43 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

No offense taken. I actually don’t even remember the story, but I love the character design and that’s why I’m a fan. And I like Tim Burton’s work with animated movies. 

If I remember correctly there are some doors to all the different holidays and that Jack dude from the Halloween Land went into the Christmas Land and tried to hijack it? But in the end he realized that Christmas was good or something and saved the day. I think Santa Claus was held hostage by a mummy at some point?

I will admit that the stop-motion animation is really well done, but some of the characters are just really grotesque and unappealing to me personally. But to each their own.

45 minutes ago, HDN said:

If I remember correctly there are some doors to all the different holidays and that Jack dude from the Halloween Land went into the Christmas Land and tried to hijack it? But in the end he realized that Christmas was good or something and saved the day. I think Santa Claus was held hostage by a mummy at some point?

I will admit that the stop-motion animation is really well done, but some of the characters are just really grotesque and unappealing to me personally. But to each their own.

It's classic Tim Burton.  Grotesque, yet beautiful to look at.   The characters and character designs are great.  But the home run here is the decision to cast Danny Elfman as Jack Skellington.  He nails the character perfectly.  And that music...wow.  

At Disneyland, they normally do a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay to the Haunted Mansion during October/November, and it's excellent and fun.  

@Dinobot711, your pants are awesome, and I think I need a pair too.  

11 hours ago, socrates63 said:

MC, if you want to play third-party 2600 cartridges on the 7800 and don't want to mess with the 7800 hardware, you gotta get the Lock-on 2600. I had tight fit issues with 2600 Activision cartridges on my 7800, and there was no way Demon Attack would fit. But this little adapter makes it buttery nice and smooth.

DSC07215.JPG.5be2fc5407ce729f209435fb63093fb3.JPG

Whoa  that is awesome!  I had no idea that such a product existed!  thanks for the tip!

12 hours ago, RickR said:

It's classic Tim Burton.  Grotesque, yet beautiful to look at.   The characters and character designs are great.  But the home run here is the decision to cast Danny Elfman as Jack Skellington.  He nails the character perfectly.  And that music...wow.  

At Disneyland, they normally do a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay to the Haunted Mansion during October/November, and it's excellent and fun.  

@Dinobot711, your pants are awesome, and I think I need a pair too.  

I've always wanted to go to Disney for their Nightmare Before Christmas event. Sounds awesome! 

And thanks! Got them at Spencer's 

It seems like only last week we were playing Galaxian...

Demon Attack's a fun one, though. These Squad Challenges are great for making me replay old games that I haven't touched in a while or don't remember too fondly. Or just introducing me to new ones in general. But anyways, Demon Attack. It's good. I'm seriously considering taking @Atari Creep up on his offer.

Speaking of the Creep, I'm working on your Haunted House Adventure game for ya, man. 

On 10/18/2020 at 7:33 AM, Atari Creep said:

5150 Only posting this score because of the coolness of the number and its relevance to current events.

RIP EVH

Tip, avoid emulation with this one. For some reason my left/right movement kept locking up. Usually when another object was close to your gun thing.

20201018_102426.jpg.9bfdf9cb6f0ac05bde6c7e7014e43b83.jpg

I'm also on Mac OS. Did you play this on Stella? If so, then which version?

13 hours ago, Marco1019 said:

I'm also on Mac OS. Did you play this on Stella? If so, then which version?

No bud. I am using a thing called OpenEMU for Mac. I do not know a damed thing about it, a buddy set it up for me. It has a ton of systems on it and runs very well.

Hope that helps.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!