Squad Challenge - Demon Attack (Atari 2600)

Justin

The one annoying thing about Demon Attack is that there is no pause. You finish one wave, and the next starts like in 0.5 seconds.

But the most annoying thing is when you die in the middle of the screen, and the demon that killed you is still sitting on top of you when you new cannon appears. I died 2 or 3 times in like a 2 second span.

13 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

The one annoying thing about Demon Attack is that there is no pause. You finish one wave, and the next starts like in 0.5 seconds.

But the most annoying thing is when you die in the middle of the screen, and the demon that killed you is still sitting on top of you when you new cannon appears. I died 2 or 3 times in like a 2 second span.

So true!

But I did notice one really cool thing I never realized before.  The explosion sounds change subtly for each alien type.  

On 10/21/2020 at 5:52 AM, Atari Creep said:

No bud. I am using a thing called OpenEMU for Mac. I do not know a damed thing about it, a buddy set it up for me. It has a ton of systems on it and runs very well.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I'm very familiar with OpenEmu for Mac as I used it for a few years. (I switched to RetroArch earlier this year now that I can finally get it running.) You can play 2600 games on OpenEmu as it runs on the Stella emulator core, (For others who may be unfamiliar, OpenEmu allows you to play several emulators in one place.

Feels like Friday today for some reason, and I was able to muster better focus. Game on 🕹️🕹️

The game doesn't appear to ramp up in difficult after a certain point, so it becomes a matter of sustained focus. I  mentioned this before but an important strategy is to avoid the demon raining down the laser/bullets and go after the other demons. I have to remind myself not to engage the weaponized demon if possible and go after the others. As part of that strategy, when the weapon demon splits into two, go after the one that is not firing. Eliminating that one will cause the weaponized demon to dive, and it's a double win. You minimize exposure to demon fire, and get extra points for eliminating the weaponized demon once it starts to dive.

I need to get some awesome PJ or lounge pants. Shorts and bare legs are so bleh when it's autumn 🍂🍁

DemonAttack-73560-20201022.thumb.JPG.29744b0271e67a493bd789b374a2b935.JPG

On 10/22/2020 at 9:36 AM, Marco1019 said:

Yes, I'm very familiar with OpenEmu for Mac as I used it for a few years. (I switched to RetroArch earlier this year now that I can finally get it running.) You can play 2600 games on OpenEmu as it runs on the Stella emulator core, (For others who may be unfamiliar, OpenEmu allows you to play several emulators in one place.

I wonder, being an OpenEMU guy myself, if they can master Jaguar game emulation on it. I think that they are working on it. Great emulator otherwise. :O)

Well, the Jaguar emulation isn't on there yet. They are working on it and it is in development. From what I understand, anyway. It should come, but the Jag is a beast to emulate, literally. I have VJ for Mac. It's fast enough, but the sound suffers. Sometimes, depending on the system, it gets a little choppy. Its complicated chipset is hard to emulate, and that is saying a good thing about the Jaguar because it is so well built as an early RISC machine on the inside. Emulation is a different story, though. 

Edited by DegasElite

I have been playing the heck out of this one - and I finally got an improvement worth posting.

I feel like I have a sound strategy (split the non-shooting demons into bats, then go after the shooting demon.  Once she is spit, go after the non-shooting bat partner.  When she starts descending - shoot as many bats as possible to keep them from turning into shooters.  Once a demon makes it to the lowest level - repeat.)

Now I just need to work on my aim!

IMG_20201024_103401766.jpg.dad22e6e68a67931539610dd4256d1c9.jpg

4 hours ago, MaliciousCarp said:

I have been playing the heck out of this one - and I finally got an improvement worth posting.

I feel like I have a sound strategy (split the non-shooting demons into bats, then go after the shooting demon.  Once she is spit, go after the non-shooting bat partner.  When she starts descending - shoot as many bats as possible to keep them from turning into shooters.  Once a demon makes it to the lowest level - repeat.)

Can I just say I dig your setup?

Both the VCR and System selector look similar to one's I've had. And I think I spy a Superman Super Friends figure I has as a kid!

And of course, bonus points for Svengoolie!

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

59 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

Can I just say I dig your setup?

Both the VCR and System selector look similar to one's I've had. And I think I spy a Superman Super Friends figure I has as a kid!

And of course, bonus points for Svengoolie!

Thanks!  I really like how my game room turned out.  I would love to do a tour of it, but it is usually a mess (They way a good game room should be).  One of these days when I get it cleaned up I will make a video about it 🙂 

6 hours ago, MaliciousCarp said:

2 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

Both the VCR and System selector look similar to one's I've had.

Same here! I think all three of us have had the same VCR at one point! I don't use that VCR anymore as I use a VCR/DVD player hybrid now. I think my sister plans on adopting that black one in the basement.

@MaliciousCarp is that a Sharp?

20 minutes ago, HDN said:

Same here! I think all three of us have had the same VCR at one point! I don't use that VCR anymore as I use a VCR/DVD player hybrid now. I think my sister plans on adopting that black one in the basement.

@MaliciousCarp is that a Sharp?

It's Daewoo brand? it's nothing fancy, but I bought it new back in the day and I like it because it gets pretty good picture and sound.  

Just now, MaliciousCarp said:

It's Daewoo brand? it's nothing fancy, but I bought it new back in the day and I like it because it gets pretty good picture and sound.  

Huh. Then I guess we have two completely different VCRs that happen to look very, very similar!