K-Tel Records and Video Game Ads

Atari 5200 Guy

Who here remembers vinyl records/albums?  Who remembers K-Tel? For those who don't know here's a bit of a summed up history.

Music.  Before cellphones and music compressed so much you could fit almost an entire library of music on those phones music came on pressed disc made out of vinyl.  And before the Now series of music compilations there was a company before them that did the same thing known as K-Tel.

K-Tel made music compilations on 33 1/3 albums, cassettes, and 8-tracks.  The did try to make the transition to CDs but didn't last long once CDs were introduced.

IMG_20201028_000131.jpg.77ce1ba77fff4dc8363fbface47cd679.jpg

Ah...good old K-Tel.  If you wanted the latest hits but couldn't afford to grab every single or all the original artist's album releases you grabbed a K-Tel album.  These discs contained anywhere between 12 to 20 songs in both rock and country genres.  They were very popular items.  Sometimes they had that one song you never heard before that was also really good...yet could not be found anywhere else.  

Once I had finished finally setting up my TT I began going through my K-Tel collection.  Look what I found inside of one of them.

IMG_20201028_000146.jpg.81af60f58aa06a67589d463348c1e991.jpg

Advertisements for the double ender 2600 games.  I thought you guys would enjoy seeing this.  Oh...and...

IMG_20201027_145642.jpg.edb0d0b3620bf4ad2d5c7a4c14836f49.jpg

..my TT.  Technics direct drive semi automatic.  About as old as me and still ready to rock.  So...if you have one spin it while playing Atari.  You might just surprise yourself.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

Wow! That's pretty cool! Almost all of the Xonox games were total garbage, but Artillery Duel is really, really fun with another player!

I'm not sure if I have any K-Tel albums in my vinyl collection. It looks and sounds familiar though, so I think I might.

5 hours ago, HDN said:

Wow! That's pretty cool! Almost all of the Xonox games were total garbage, but Artillery Duel is really, really fun with another player!

I'm not sure if I have any K-Tel albums in my vinyl collection. It looks and sounds familiar though, so I think I might.

Ghost Manor wasn't too bad.  I have that Xonox double.  I tried to enjoy Spike's Peak but it expects way to much from the player.

@Atari 5200 Guy yup. I was right, I did have one laying around from K-Tel. Not sure if I have any more as I am posting this right after I found it. Here it is, from 1972.

F98756D0-B2D9-4C9C-A7CB-58A7801F0110.jpeg.ec790962b5b4b251f13ac4ac7b5f211a.jpeg

And here is the track list. It has quite a few songs for a single disk. Some pretty good songs on here. I don’t think I have ever played this one. I’ll give it a spin right after I post this.

E8045B61-EE00-4AC7-BD17-F2C0C2EB9CB2.jpeg.d052e22c1f1cd20e09fbfc424664afef.jpeg

Haha.  I have a variant of that I found local but it was made in Canada.  Yours is the one I've been hunting for.  Here...see for yourself.

IMG_20201028_222245.jpg.dc0c630a23abd4fff29fe769452e50b2.jpg

See...yours has Beautiful Sunday on it where as mine doesn't... And that's one reason I'm after the USA version of this album.  I love K-Tel as much as I love Atari so anytime I see that unmistakable logo on an album I make sure the album is in there and I bring them home.  Over the years our K-Tel collection has grown but there are still some I'm after.

IMG_20201028_222418.jpg.fac37c69b587cb4481f5be09fefc8669.jpg

And yes...Mr. Manilow is there for a reason.  It too is a K-Tel album.  See for yourself.

IMG_20201028_222738.jpg.2ef95f0716a3ed33c6c35e3d55bb2a86.jpg

Wow, I never knew! Thanks for bringing K-Tel to my attention. It’s nice to see compilations of the original recordings instead of crappy covers. Too many albums are like that.

I will have to check through my other records and see if I have any more. I have some more stored away, and thankfully catalogued. I will check tomorrow.

3 hours ago, HDN said:

Wow, I never knew! Thanks for bringing K-Tel to my attention. It’s nice to see compilations of the original recordings instead of crappy covers. Too many albums are like that.

I will have to check through my other records and see if I have any more. I have some more stored away, and thankfully catalogued. I will check tomorrow.

The nice thing about K-Tel albums are you can just let em play.  There is enough variety on those that you rarely have to skip a song.  Most original artist albums I have just for one or two songs.  There are very few albums I like from beginning to end but those are either music from the original motion pictures or greatest hits albums.  With K-Tel I can just starter an album a enjoy.  They make for great background music while playing card games with family and friends.

If you are hunting might I suggest Discogs?  Its a great way to track your collection, research what all is out there, and find used records for cheap.  Sadly, most vinyl albums never made it over to the digital age.  Who knows, just like your 7800, you may discover something new.

Oh and for the record I can only recall two albums I enjoy from beginning to end.  Crisis? What Crisis? and Breakfast in America...both from Supertramp.  If you have never heard them before YouTube them.  If you have seen any Amazon commercials with singing boxes then you would know Give A Little Bit.  Others include Its Raining Again, Another Man's Woman, Goodbye Stranger, and Take The Long Way Home.  Very unique, creative, and original music...the likes of which this world may not hear ever again.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

Man, things were so wild in the '70s that companies literally WERE advertising games everywhere.

I'm not sure whose idea it was to advertise video games on album covers, but that's really quite an inspired idea for the 1970s.

That said, not Chuck Norris Super-Kicks, surely they could have advertised ANYTHING else, lol.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.