Squad Challenge - Elevator Action (Arcade/MAME)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Elevator Action
Arcade / MAME
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Bonus Pts for Additional Player set to 10,000 Pts
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST November 14, 2020

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between November 1st through November 14th, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Bonus Points for Additional Player (Dip Switch A) set to 10,000 Points.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 91st Squad Challenge, and our VERY FIRST EVER MAME SQUAD CHALLENGE! We break the ice with Elevator Action, the 1983 arcade hit from Taito. Can you assume the role of a super secret spy to infiltrate a 30 story building filled with elevators and enemy agents who appear from behind closed doors? Elevator Action is a terrific arcade game that has never made it to enough Atari game systems. We're jumping into MAME for the first time in High Score Squad and if you need help with Emulation, please ask! There are enough kind and knowledgable people in the forums who will be here to help you get up and running. If you're new to Emulation, be sure to stop by our Emulation forum. Instructions are provided below, ROM is not provided for this game but is easily found on the net. You may play this game using emulation (MAME) through whatever means necessary, through "arcade classics" mamecades, or play on real hardware using an original arcade machine. And a special WELCOME to all our new Members playing in this Squad Challenge! Good luck to everybody participating! 

NOTE: Another great Squad Challenge is right around the corner!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

elevator.pdf

I've saved a few old motherboards from the dumpster I would enjoy turning into a MAME machine.  Probably ME and XP era??  I'm not sure.  One is AMD and the other is Intel.  It would be neat to see if they will fire up.  One, though, I have to finish removing all the AGP port pins because someone, before throwing it away, ripped the port off but left the pins behind.  It will still work once those have been removed.  Both have built in video.  This might be double the fun!

45 minutes ago, HDN said:

Is it alright if we play on arcade compilations? This game is on Taito Legends on XBOX.

I hope so, that is how I would prefer to play as well!

Edit: did a quick search - it is also available in the arcade archives on PS4! I might go that route as well.

Edited by MaliciousCarp
Found more information.

2 hours ago, HDN said:

Is it alright if we play on arcade compilations? This game is on Taito Legends on XBOX.

I think we need to do a little research first.  For a given compilation, do we know if it's an authentic ROM?  Has it been changed in any way for the platform?  If we can answer these questions with a YES, NO, then we should be fine. 

Example:  Atari games on the Nintendo DS Atari or Activision compilations are 100% untouched ROM files running in an emulator. 

I will see if I have this ROM setup myself in MAME.  I'm happy to share the ROM file if anyone needs it and also I can help setup MAME (including any of the various menu front-ends. 

56 minutes ago, RickR said:

I think we need to do a little research first.  For a given compilation, do we know if it's an authentic ROM?  Has it been changed in any way for the platform?  If we can answer these questions with a YES, NO, then we should be fine. 

Example:  Atari games on the Nintendo DS Atari or Activision compilations are 100% untouched ROM files running in an emulator. 

I will see if I have this ROM setup myself in MAME.  I'm happy to share the ROM file if anyone needs it and also I can help setup MAME (including any of the various menu front-ends. 

Correct. You can emulate this game by any means necessary so long as you're playing the original ROM. 👍 Original arcade machine and arcade legends machines are also acceptable. 

9 minutes ago, Justin said:

Correct. You can emulate this game by any means necessary so long as you're playing the original ROM. 👍 Original arcade machine and arcade legends machines are also acceptable. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Taito Legends compilations use original ROMs and should count.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

33 minutes ago, RickR said:

I don't know, but I'm going to call someone a "dip switch" as a much cleaner version of what I have been using.  

I need to start adopting British insults.  In a recent video, YouTuber Atomic Shrimp called someone a "Silly old sausage".  I added that one to my arsenal right away! 

RetroPie to the rescue -- 3 lives and additional at 10k seem to be the default. I didn't mess with any settings although I might fiddle with the display to fix the overscan.

I had to look up what the goal of the game was and read up a little on wikipedia. You must enter all the red doors to collect secret documents in order to finish the level (building):

If Otto tries to leave the building without collecting all the documents, he will be transported to the highest floor that still has an unopened red door and must work his way back down.

ElevatorAction-6300-20201102.jpeg.6bf9483052c2dd22ecd7fc7232c490b1.jpeg

Edited by socrates63

Well...the board I had tried was an AMD board, 128 MB of RAM, 20 GB HDD, and I used the built in video but Windows 98 did not like the SATA drives (couldn't see the hard drive or optical drive) so I couldn't access format.com or Windows setup and Windows 7 I think laughed at the RAM size.  I have no XP install disks.  So...I'll have to try something else.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 8:57 AM, nosweargamer said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Taito Legends compilations use original ROMs and should count.

It turns out I have a copy of Taito Legends on XBOX.  I'll give it a try sometime this week just to compare. 

2 minutes ago, Marco1019 said:

I haven't touched MAME in about a year and I totally forgot how to get it up and running lol.

I hear you.  I decided to upgrade to the latest version yesterday, but forgot how to do it. 

Try the MAMEUI link above as it makes things pretty easy.  Everything you need (except game ROMS) is in one download package. 

4 hours ago, RickR said:

I hear you.  I decided to upgrade to the latest version yesterday, but forgot how to do it. 

Try the MAMEUI link above as it makes things pretty easy.  Everything you need (except game ROMS) is in one download package. 

I forgot to add that I'm on Mac OS. I believe the link referenced above is Windows only, though I could be wrong.

I know there is WolfMAME for Mac OS but I have to look into that one.

20201103_193527.jpg.c18ae6df1a81a0d8de4287fedb44b797.jpg

Took me a while to get used to this one. Pulled out my PSP  to play the Taito compilation it has.

So you're playing a spy of sorts in this one? Is this by any chance inspired by the recent passing of Sean Connery?

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube