Squad Challenge - Cybermorph (Atari Jaguar)

Justin

Third play. I had one planet left on the second cluster. Here are some hints for the few playing: 

- Take your time to find all of the pods. Finding more pods than you need to open the portal gives big bonus points. 

-If you collect all the pods and fly through a blue gate - only in some levels - you'll go to a timed bonus round to resupply and get extra points. 

-Take out the enemy radar stations. This freezes flying enemies. Once they are frozen, pick them off for big points. 

-Cruise missiles are effective of "Jokers" and the "Headhunter"

That's all I have now. I don't know if I'll get another play in. This one took a while. 

Good luck everyone! I hope more people follow Rick's lead and try out the Phoenix emulator. 

IMG_20201211_113207820.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

On 12/9/2020 at 4:01 PM, socrates63 said:

The TG16 looks to be the console of my dreams -- its game library is strongly appealing to my sensibilities. I actually pre-ordered and got the mini (still unopened) but would prefer playing on actual hardware. That's one I may want in the future (is there anything that I don't want outside of Pokemon games? 🙄 😁)

I got my Jaguar, composite cable, one controller, and three games for $300 from a local seller. With the conventions gone this year, local guys have been selling online regularly. I believe Pink Gorilla has a Jaguar for $350 for the console and probably controller (can't remember). With the extra games, composite cable, and no 10% sales tax, I figure I saved at least a Benjamin.

On 12/9/2020 at 4:03 PM, RickR said:

TG16 is so much better than I thought it would be.  I honestly like it more than Genesis or Super Nintendo.  If you decide to buy one, make sure to budget an extra $100 for the everdrive. 

WOW it's so great to read this. @btbfilms76 I've been trying to show people this since TG16 was still in Toys R Us. Idk how NEC/TTI let this fall through the cracks, if it was a marketing failure, an inability to bring over the best games from Japan, or if there just wasn't enough room left for Bonk and Zonk in a saturated market dominated by Mario and Sonic. TurboGrafx-16 is an absolute gem, as is the TurboExpress and TurboDuo. I'm glad you guys are enjoying them, and get ready for a TurboGrafx-16 Squad Challenge coming up pretty soon!

On 12/3/2020 at 11:50 AM, HDN said:

Thankfully, our next challenge is for F-Zero! I think this is the first Squad Challenge we've had where I actually had the game before the challenge started!

Not quite!

On 12/3/2020 at 3:54 PM, nosweargamer said:

I am super happy to see the next Squad Challenge being mentioned as well! It gives me a chance to potentially dig out the game if I own it.

I would be totally happy if this becomes the norm. 😉

@HDN @nosweargamer

There are annual events we have in the forums which are fairly easy to predict, or require a little extra advance warning. The Pole Position II Grand Prix every Summer, the F-ZERO Christmas Challenge every Winter, HSW Day Ultimate Yars' Challenge, Summer Pizza Party Festival, and so on. Usually in these cases we let you know the game in advance as they are annual events and predictable, but hold off on announcing what course or level we're playing until the Squad Challenge goes up to avoid any unfair advantage.

I'm gonna give this one more shot! I made it to the final world with 199,400 points and nothing left to do on the planet to get a new ship awarded at 200,000. Problem is with this game it only awards the bonus ship once you've completed the level. Would've been great to have an extra life come up when I crossed the 200,000 mark!

High Score: 201,200

2020-12-14 20:47:40.616.JPG

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Sabertooth!

Congratulations to @Sabertooth his big win! Sabertooth just become Atari I/O's first Jaguar Champion! And a very special thanks to @RickR for helping out with Jaguar Emulation! @Sabertooth has had an incredible run this month! He won BTB's Atari 7800 Paddle Controller Giveaway, Namco shared his Pac-Man posts on social media, and Sabertooth just took the top spot in the Final Standings with an outstanding score of 477,900, becoming our first Jaguar Champion! I squeaked by with 201,200 points to claim 2nd Place on the board. @btbfilms76 was on fire and put up an impressive score to reach our 3rd spot on the board with 85,050 points. @Gianna was hot on BTB's tail with 81,550 points, @RickR made an impressive showing with 24,950, and @socrates63 rounds out the board bringing home his new Atari Jaguar to post a score of 14,250 points! Congratulations once again to @Sabertooth for the win, and as always I'd like to encourage Sabertooth to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is the 2020 F-ZERO Christmas Challenge for Super Nintendo! Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_jaguar_cybermorph.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Thanks @Justin and @RickR! As I said, this is the most fun I've had with Cybermorph.  It has its shortcomings - particularly the lack of variety and in-game music - but there is still some fun to be had here. Put on some music and that second problem is solved! 😂

The sequel, Battlemorph, addresses nearly all of Cybermorph's shortcomings and has held up really well over the years. I can only imagine the response the Jaguar may have received had Cybermorph offered the same level of polish. 

I hope to see you all on F-Zero! I think my December run is timed out but I'll give it a go.