Gorf Complete for the 2600?

Rocker67

I just saw something that got me excited. Looks like Champ Games is doing a complete port of GORF for the 2600. They will be showing it off in their livestream this Friday. Is there anything these guys cannot create on the 2600. I have always loved the arcade game and it will be neat to be able to play all the levels and also to have speech in the game. I love how the homebrew community is continuing to breath new life into a system that is now over 40 years old.

3 hours ago, Rocker67 said:

I love how the homebrew community is continuing to breath new life into a system that is now over 40 years old.

Yes, this was the most surprising thing when I re-discovered the 2600 -- the passion of the home-brew community and the talented folks still coding for a 40+ year old platform. Some of the games rival NES games in graphics quality (to my eyes anyway).

I've no doubt Champ Games will release an amazing version of Gorf. I'm also curious about their work on the 2600 Qix port, and their nearly done port of Robotron looks amazing.

23 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

I've no doubt Champ Games will release an amazing version of Gorf. I'm also curious about their work on the 2600 Qix port, and their nearly done port of Robotron looks amazing.

Same on both of those other ones. With all these homebrew arcade ports coming out for both the 2600 and the 7800, my pocket book is feeling a little more empty.

I loved Gorf in the arcade, but I never did play the CBS version until later. My home version I always played was on my Vic-20. It was a pretty good port, but it was still missing the Galaxian stage. From everything I have seen there never was a port with all 5 stages, probably because of licensing.

Don't forget to purchase an AtariVox when this game does become available so you can get all the arcade speech as well! John's release of Wizard of Wor arcade for the 2600 is one of the best home ports of the game released! It is really really good and has all the speech from the arcade also provided you have an AVox for your Atari. I've not purchased all of their games as many of them either aren't favorites of mine and I don't really see me playing them on the 2600. But I do own Mappy, WOW, and Galagon. Although that last one is more of a shelf piece as I have the actual Galaga arcade cocktail game in the center of my game room to fire up and play the real deal at any time! 😉

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 12/24/2020 at 9:04 AM, CrossBow said:

Don't forget to purchase an AtariVox when this game does become available so you can get all the arcade speech as well! John's release of Wizard of Wor arcade for the 2600 is one of the best home ports of the game released! It is really really good and has all the speech from the arcade also provided you have an AVox for your Atari.

I finally bought myself one of them, and I cannot believe I waited so long to get one.  It was about time a voice module came out for the 2600 since Odessey and Intellivision both had one. The only system that did not have a voice module was the Colecovision, if I am thinking right, and I remember the game Squish Em had voice in it.