Squad Challenge - Video Pinball (Atari 2600)

Justin

12 minutes ago, ZilchSr said:

Video Pinball 3A - 10,111,115

The first objective should always be to get the extra ball.
Second, clear the diamonds to boost the bumper values to 900.
Third, spam the bonus lane.

Pardon the cat.

Welcome to the forums @ZilchSr! Thank you for the site shoutout. Incredible score :wreck-it-ralph:

3 hours ago, ZilchSr said:

Pardon the cat.

shock.gif.dfc6eb7119f526d9ff2b8baca074a388.gifgoodnight.gif.b802396868e1434b4685b5253f5034a8.gif

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

On 1/5/2021 at 6:56 PM, Papa Pete said:

I made my Demon Attack video a little late for the contest, so I didn't post it here, but I've compared emulation to OG Hardware again for this Video Pinball challenge.....and let's just say, there is NO comparison between the two...

Great video & score, it was rather odd the on the bonus count the first time on real hardware so I suspect you score may have been higher but the "squad challenges" here are just for fun to revisit games from when us old timers were young and to expose the young fellows to these games.

8 hours ago, ZilchSr said:

Pardon the cat.

Another great video, I really liked the super short-plung then getting the extra ball off the slingshot right away! the visit from the cat was hilarious as cats & pinball is an "actual thing"

Again the "squad challenge" is for fun but for high stakes tournament physical pinball, when possible extra balls are turned off and if an extra ball is earned without the possibility to turn it off after setting up a skill shot it is plunged and hands off so that great players don't marathon the machine.

So lets get along to posting more scores, I thought @ZilchSr had a great idea with a clock running as he played so I incorporated one in the event I rolled it 😉

IMG_2179.JPG.42748cc9031b9bd87f8056f96b4c6c05.JPG

Edited by chas10e

One of the things I enjoy doing is revealing tactics so that even first-time players can observe and achieve success by utilizing them.  I appreciate the "fun" aspect of the Squad Challenge, thus, the intentional tilting of remaining balls at around the 55-minute mark, rather than continuing for multiple hours. I save the multiple-hours long games for the "take it seriously sites". It would be a thrill for me if a few people or more were able to take what's here and use it to experience the excitement of their first time rolling the score, if not multiple times 😉

Edited by ZilchSr
typo

24 minutes ago, ZilchSr said:

One of the things I enjoy doing is revealing tactics so that even first-time players can observe and achieve success by utilizing them.  I appreciate the "fun" aspect of the Squad Challenge, thus, the intentional tilting of remaining balls at around the 55-minute mark, rather than continuing for multiple hours. I save the multiple-hours long games for the "take it seriously sites". It would be a thrill for me if a few people or more were able to take what's here and use it to experience the excitement of their first time rolling the score, if not multiple times 😉

You mean this isn't taking it seriously? What the hell, dude? I can barely crack 100k on this setting.

@ZilchSr and @Papa Pete, I want to thank you guys so much for sharing the knowledge.  I don't know if you care, but I subscribed to your youtube channels. 

The sharing of hints is probably my second favorite part of these bi-monthly challenges (with the first favorite being discovering or re-discovering some really fun games). 

You guys rock, and I'm going to try to implement some of your tips/methods this weekend. 

2 hours ago, RickR said:

@ZilchSr and @Papa Pete, I want to thank you guys so much for sharing the knowledge.  I don't know if you care, but I subscribed to your youtube channels. 

The sharing of hints is probably my second favorite part of these bi-monthly challenges (with the first favorite being discovering or re-discovering some really fun games). 

You guys rock, and I'm going to try to implement some of your tips/methods this weekend. 

Thanks, RickR!  And thanks also for subscribing!  FYI: Early on, I did quite a few Atari VCS reviews, and I'm sure that I'll do more in the future.👍

It's been a struggle for me to get past 25,000 in an typical run. I played for a while last night and reached a new person high score:

My High Score: 68,843

Continuing to study the great tips everybody has contributed in this squad challenge and am using them in my game. 

2021-01-11 01:29:20.396.JPG

I know I'm no expert, but may I try to help you all?  The most valuable tip that I got from @ZilchSr's video is how to get that extra ball first thing.  I made a little diagram.  Try this:

1. Set the plunger to the absolute minimum depth you can muster.  Just a tiny amount of black should show.
  2. Nudge it gently left the moment it clears the launch lane.
  3. You want it to avoid the spinner and hit that first "step".  You may have to nudge a little on the way down to get this trajectory.
  4. if you do it right, it will just barely clear the bumper and go into the free-ball lane.  If you don't do it right, you can still nudge/correct the path.

It's easy to practice this, as you can try and hit reset until you get it right. 

(A personal note - there is a tip in the manual to get that free ball first thing, and for my whole life, I kept trying to hit it like a basketball free-throw.  It's possible, but very difficult.  The "bounce" method is so much easier and more reliable.)

You don't have to do this every ball to get a high score, but you should try it every ball.  And once you get a free ball, focus on hitting the top drop-down targets and the left bonus lane. 

Pinball Help.JPG

Just now, Justin said:

I think part of the problem I'm having is that I'm playing on a Flashback using the IR remote joysticks. Feels less sharp than if I were playing with the real deal.

I've found that the type of joystick does matter on this game.  A nice, tight "Slik-stik" works much better for me than my usual favorite "Kraft" joystick (which has much more play in the joystick movement).  You should be able to plug in a real joystick to your flashback, and I highly recommend you try that. 

3 hours ago, Justin said:

Yes I need to try that. I feel like the IR joystick adds to the lag in the game. I see the strategies for getting a good score, it's making it happen and feeling like I have control of the ball that seems difficult. 

Yeah there is a muscle memory thing associated with the nudging with the button and you can figger out just about exactly how far you can nudge without tilting. The benefit of how the tiltb-ob work in this game is it "settles" almost instantly the moment you stop moving it :D I would imagine the "lag" has an affect on the ball movement sort of like how people complain about the lag using the Wavebird on the Cube.

3 hours ago, RickR said:

Yes, and I think having a helpful kitty might help too. 

This is what I wear when I'm out playing pinball, The kitty is my friends cat "Marty" who recovered from some serious illness and some costly injections. The "Marty pin" was produced & sold to help others fund the treatment for their kitty's

The pinball machine pin & the sweatshirt was a gift a couple Christmas's ago from my nieces & nephews :)

IMG_2159.JPG.83b20be07c35190e2882a8b8a074fc8a.JPG