Squad Challenge - Joust (Atari 7800)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Joust
Atari 7800
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST February 14, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between February 1st through February 14th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Intermediate. This is a standard point to begin the game. Players with normal experience can join in the Squad Challenge and expert gamers will quickly advance.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 97th Squad Challenge! We've enjoyed such tremendous turnout in High Score Squad so far this year! Let's see if we can keep it up with another Atari classic! This time we're playing Joust on Atari 7800! This was an aboslute arcade smash hit that came home in style on the Atari 7800. One of the original 1984 launch titles for the system, Joust has become a must-have game for the 7800. It's games like Joust that make Atari 7800 "The Neo•Geo of 1984". ROM and Instructions are provided below. Good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: We have a supreme lineup of games coming your way for High Score Squad in 2021! Expect a nice mix of classic Atari home console games in the rotation along with games from other classic systems! Here's a look at some upcoming events:

February: A Magnavox Odyssey ² game

March: A TurboGrafx-16 game, and a Golf game to celebrate The Masters coming up!

April: National Pac-Man Day!

June: 2021 Pole Position II Grand Prix, plus get ready for our Summer Pizza Party!

July: A Sega Master System game, HSW Day Ultimate Yars' Challenge, plus a game chosen by our Instagram followers!

September: An Atari Lynx game

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Joust.pdf Joust.a78

- .... .. ... .. ... .- --. --- --- -.. -.-. .... --- .. -.-. . ... - --- .--. . -..- -.-. .. - . -.. ... - --- .--.

.. .- -- .-. ..- ... - -.-- --- -. -- -.-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . ... - --- .--. .-.. --- .-.. ... - --- .--.

And while you're playing it, you can also try out the Easter egg! Not only is this unique, as Easter eggs were quite rare on the system, but it also requires an insane amount of joystick work.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

17 hours ago, Marco1019 said:

I'm skipping this one as I never used the 7800 (but I do have a controller, so who knows lol).

As an alternative, I did mention the Squad Challenge during my show tonight. So my hope is that a few gamers make their way over here and sign up!

Thanks for getting the word out @Marco1019! I hope you'll reconsider and join us through emulation if you can!

On 2/1/2021 at 1:56 PM, HDN said:

- .... .. ... .. ... .- --. --- --- -.. -.-. .... --- .. -.-. . ... - --- .--. . -..- -.-. .. - . -.. ... - --- .--.

.. .- -- .-. ..- ... - -.-- --- -. -- -.-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . ... - --- .--. .-.. --- .-.. ... - --- .--.

That took me a while to figure out what you were saying. Glad you're excited! Just use some WD-40 for the rust 😉

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

1 hour ago, nosweargamer said:

That took me a while to figure out what you were saying. Glad you're excited! Just use some WD-40 for the rust 😉

-.— —- ..- / ..- -. -.. . .-. ... - .- -. -.. / — . / .—. .... .. .-.. / ... - —- .—. / —- .- .-. . / -.— —- ..- / ..- ... .. -. —. / .- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - —- .-. / ... - —- .—. / .- -. -.— .— .- -.— ... / -. .. -.-. . / - —- / - .- .-.. -.- / - —- / ... —- — . -... —- -.. -.— / . .-.. ... . / .. -. / — —- .-. ... . / -.-. —- -.. . / ... - —- .—. 

— -.— / ..-. .. .-. ... - / ... -.-. —- .-. . / ... - —- .—.

8B40F4CF-70DC-41D3-B03C-392B73208517.jpeg.2ec958230203c528f3779155f525de1b.jpeg

.- -. -.. / .—- ..- ... - / ..-. —- .-. / ..-. ..- -. / ... - —- .—.

BF58E285-E644-4E2F-9119-2B2CCF4A75D0.jpeg.840efe5121769e5a63685714661b42c2.jpeg

Next score, 51350.

C9126645-22FE-415C-BF62-B2B6E0EE0635.jpeg.4df820e88d89c24fbe3eb62b9437f5bf.jpeg

I found this out. Try this glitch out at home!

On the first wave this glitch is easiest. Run left until your ostrich gets to full speed. Then, flap up to the next platform above you. Keep running until you get to the very edge of this small platform and flap just one time to get up to the next platform (which wraps around the screen). Your ostrich will continually bounce on the floor at the same speed you were running at. You’ll eventually wrap the screen and come out at the right side. Once you get to the slightly-higher-up platform (with the spawn pad on it), instead of bouncing off its wall like normal you’ll clip through the floor! It works every time.

3 hours ago, HDN said:

Just a little bit ago I played the NES port for the first time in a while. And wow. It pales in comparison to what we got on the 7800. I guess that goes to show you how excellent the 7800's arcade ports were for the most part, especially from GCC.

Fun Fact: Atari Corp licensed the game out so it could appear on the NES. If they wanted, they could've made Joust an Atari exclusive. Of course back then, even Sega games appeared on the NES.