Squad Challenge - Attack of the Timelord! (Magnavox Odyssey ²)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Attack of the Timelord!
Magnavox Odyssey ²
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: 1
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST February 28, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between February 15th through February 28th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing on Difficulty Level 1. Press "1" on the alpha-numeric keyboard.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 98th Squad Challenge! We're venturing into new territory with our very first Squad Challenge for the Magnavox Odyssey ²! Attack of the Timelord! is a thrilling Demon Attack-style game with a great level of challenge. If you're new to the Odyssey ² this is a great place to start. Attack of the Timelord! was released by Magnavox in 1982 and was programmed by Odyssey ² super-programmer Ed Averett who also programmed the great Pick Axe Pete! The Timelord is a really cool looking Odyssey character, and if you use "The Voice" hardware attachment, you'll hear the Timelord's voice speaking various phrases in between waves. ROM and Instructions are provided below. Need help with Magnavox Odyssey ²? @nosweargamer and @HDN are Atari I/O's In-House Odyssey ² Experts! Good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: We have a supreme lineup of games coming your way for High Score Squad in 2021! Expect a nice mix of classic Atari home console games in the rotation along with games from other classic systems! Here's a look at some upcoming events:

March: A TurboGrafx-16 game, and a Golf game to celebrate The Masters coming up!

April: National Pac-Man Day!

June: 2021 Pole Position II Grand Prix, plus get ready for our Summer Pizza Party!

July: A Sega Master System game, HSW Day Ultimate Yars' Challenge, plus a game chosen by our Instagram followers!

September: An Atari Lynx game

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Attack of the Timelord.pdf Attack of the Timelord.bin

4 hours ago, Justin said:

Need help with Magnavox Odyssey ²? @nosweargamer and @HDN are Atari I/O's In-House Odyssey ² Experts! Good luck to everybody participating!

I’m here to help! 

I am also currently the Attack of the Timelord! champion. Anyone who beats my current high score gets brownie points!

Thanks!  As a retro-gamer, I think it's important to have at least one CRT -- preferably a Sony Trinitron.  Even if it's a small one. 

I got that one from a member of the Portland retro-gaming community.  I paid more than I should have, and had to drive a bit.  No regrets, though.  Totally worth it.  I love it. 

On 2/16/2021 at 11:00 PM, Sabertooth said:

I feel like I need to impulse buy a Voice unit to get the full experience. 

It really gives the game some great personality. Here's some of the phrases spoken in the game: Attack and Destroy, Seize the Planet, Destroy The Earthling, Goodbye Earthling, Defend Your World, Not Bad Human, You're A Worthy Opponent, Prepare For Defeat, This Planet is Mine, Defeat is at Hand, A Commendable Defense, The Earth Will Be Mine.

Some are in the video below and there may be more.

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube