Squad Challenge - Attack of the Timelord! (Magnavox Odyssey ²)

Justin

17 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Did you rewire the joystick or mod your O² to be compatible with Atari joysticks?

I have an adapter cable. 

I'm trying to remember the details, and I can look it up if you want names.  All I remember is that a guy on Atari Age or Facebook was making adapter cables for some other system.  Amiga or Vectrex or ???  I can't remember.  I sent him a message and asked if he could make something similar for O2 if I provided the wiring details.  He said yes, and now I have an adapter.  It's a big improvement.  But still, the first thing you'll notice is that there's a bit of a lag in the 02 joysticks.  I just assumed it was the mylar design they use in their joystick...and that does play a part.  The Atari stick makes it better for sure.  But there seems to be an inherent flaw in the system. 

My apologies to the person that made the adapter for not remembering his name. 

o2 adapter 001.JPG

Edited by RickR

31 minutes ago, RickR said:

And this game displays the quirk of almost every O2 action game:  only one life, and the game just restarts on it's own after dying.  WHY????

Here's my theory. It was programmed by Ed Averett, who programed the majority of the O2 games, which is quite an accomplishment, even if all the games aren't the best. How did he pump out so many games? Taking as many shortcuts as he could including using the same foundation for most of the games. That's why I believe a lot of his games have the same score bar on the bottom, allowing you to enter your initials the same way and all restart immediately. It probably saved him a lot of time compared to making a new game from the ground up.

The restarts can be a pain if you are trying to enter initials, but at the same time, they also fueled the whole "let me try that one more time" feeling you can get with games like this one and Pick Axe Pete.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Marco1019!

Congratulations to @Marco1019 on a terrific score! Marco takes the top spot in our very first Magnavox Odyssey ² Squad Challenge with his score of 1,213! Our very own legend @Sabertooth came in with a great score and gave Marco a real challenge, posting 930 to take the 2nd spot on our board. The incredible @RadioPoultry wasn't far behind with a score of 889, taking the 3rd spot. "The Don" @RickR rounds things out with a great score of 628 points. ALL of our players' new high scores have beaten the existing scores for Attack of the Timelord on our Atari I/O Scoreboard! WOW!! Great to see you guys scoring new personal bests! You are all legends. 

Congratulations to @Marco1019 on his big win in becoming Atari I/O’s new Attack of the Timelord Champion, and a huge THANK YOU to Marco and everyone else whose been getting the word out about our community and inviting others to join us in High Score Squad. As always I'd like to encourage Marco to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! And a big congratulations to our community for being such a great group!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is Air Zonk for TurboGrafx-16 / TurboExpress / TurboDuo / PC Engine! Be there!

large.final_standings_odyssey_attack_of_the_timelord.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

I'm sorry for not participating in this one. I really wanted to, but a lot of my free time was swallowed up by preparing some Swordquest reviews, which I'm still doing. I'll try to bust out the TG-16 mini before the next one ends.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

2 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

I'm sorry for not participating in this one. I really wanted to, but a lot of my free time was swallowed up by preparing some Swordquest reviews, which I'm still doing. I'll try to bust out the TG-16 mini before the next one ends.

I never owned a TG-16 so you can take my spot for this one lol.